Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Just signed up for my first Xterra race. Some questions...
Quote | Reply
As a first timer off road triathlon participate, what advice do you have for me? I signed up fo Xterra Ogden, and I live in SLC, so am comfortable and familiar with the riding and climbing the area has to offer. Watching some videos people posted from the race actually look kind of tame for the area, from a technicality perspective at least.

I ride a 27.5 hardtail that I'm happy with - Giant Fathom. It's not the best thing out there, I'm aware, but it gets the job done for now until I'm in a better spot to upgrade.

I'm going to need to upgrade my pedals and shoes, but I'm not entirely sure what to look for when I do so. So is there something I should look for or avoid? Previously I've just done all my riding on a good pair of flats.

Do you guys/gals get a different tri kit for off road triathlons? I usually race in Assos bibs with a tri jersey over that.

Any other gear I should consider acquiring? I normally just ride with a camelbak and toss everything I need in there.

What is the passing etiquette on the bike like whether going uphill or downhill with races like these when it's single track?

After year of training for long course IM branded races, I'm burnt out on it. Any other races similar to this even if not Xterra branded that are in the SLC area or even in Colorado or Idaho that I should consider please let me know!
Quote Reply
Re: Just signed up for my first Xterra race. Some questions... [RayP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't say it's tame, it's not technical but you do go from 5000 feet to 6200 down to 5700 up to 7200 and then back down to 6300.

Your Giant Fathom should be just fine, put some good tires on it.
Shoes: what ever mountain bike shoe you find comfortable.
Pedals: I use egg beaters but again what ever mountain bike pedal you like.

I use the same kit for Xterra that I would use for any other road tri. There is no need for an aero kit though.

I use a camelbak and take enough water for 3 hours even though I won't be out there that long. My flat kit and tools are in the camelbak.

Passing etiquette is stay to the right when possible when someone is going to pass. Typically people are patient if it's technical, just look for a good spot to let them by, no need to stop. People are mostly laid back about the ride, just don't be that guy that won't move over at all.

I can't help you with other races out there, I'm from Michigan.
Quote Reply
Re: Just signed up for my first Xterra race. Some questions... [RayP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can only speak from someone with a triathlon background who has done a single xterra race. I’m a terrible mountain biker. I’m a competent road/gravel cyclists but just terrible on the mountain bike. But I will say the xterra event I did was super fun and laid back. I knew I would get crushed on the bike but people were super patient and communication was good. If somebody was on my heels I would wait for a wider area to let them pass. Nobody was a jerk about me holding them up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved them, wish they still put them on in my area. Don't know how your mtb skills are, mine suck but still had a blast. There always were a lot of bike breakdowns, so make sure your equipment is checked over before the race. Also, always a lot of launched water bottles. Swim is a swim (except for Xterra it's up stream, both ways). Had some with very challenging trail runs, like needing to use a rope to get you up the side of a hill. Practice some off-road bricks; mtb then trail runs, as getting off a mountain bike and running is a little different than getting off a tri bike and running. Was just watching Xterra Maui on TV and wishing for the chance to do another off road tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there are 3 Xterra races in CO this year, the one in UT you are already doing, and 1 in ID in August.
Quote Reply
Re: Just signed up for my first Xterra race. Some questions... [cldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cldave wrote:
I think there are 3 Xterra races in CO this year, the one in UT you are already doing, and 1 in ID in August.

Definitely going to consider the one in July in Colorado. If you have any suggestions to which ones are the most challenging and fun, let me know!

jaretj wrote:
I wouldn't say it's tame, it's not technical but you do go from 5000 feet to 6200 down to 5700 up to 7200 and then back down to 6300.

Your Giant Fathom should be just fine, put some good tires on it.
Shoes: what ever mountain bike shoe you find comfortable.
Pedals: I use egg beaters but again what ever mountain bike pedal you like.

I use the same kit for Xterra that I would use for any other road tri. There is no need for an aero kit though.

I use a camelbak and take enough water for 3 hours even though I won't be out there that long. My flat kit and tools are in the camelbak.

Passing etiquette is stay to the right when possible when someone is going to pass. Typically people are patient if it's technical, just look for a good spot to let them by, no need to stop. People are mostly laid back about the ride, just don't be that guy that won't move over at all.

I can't help you with other races out there, I'm from Michigan.

I just meant tame from a technicality standpoint and what I normally ride. I don't ride too many trails that look as smooth as the one from videos of the race I've seen. I get a ton of climbing in on my rides on the road and trails out here so that shouldn't be a huge issue if an issue at all.

Have you ever had any issues getting your foot out in a hurry with those pedals? That's my only concern.

Definitely need to upgrade my tires from spring time.

Good to know on the passing. Thanks for the advice.

vonschnapps wrote:
I loved them, wish they still put them on in my area. Don't know how your mtb skills are, mine suck but still had a blast. There always were a lot of bike breakdowns, so make sure your equipment is checked over before the race. Also, always a lot of launched water bottles. Swim is a swim (except for Xterra it's up stream, both ways). Had some with very challenging trail runs, like needing to use a rope to get you up the side of a hill. Practice some off-road bricks; mtb then trail runs, as getting off a mountain bike and running is a little different than getting off a tri bike and running. Was just watching Xterra Maui on TV and wishing for the chance to do another off road tri.

I think my MTB are above average due to the group I ride with from work and where they go regularly. I was out of my element at first riding with them, but it was probably a good thing.

I take good care of my bikes and don't try and do maintenance on them I know I can't or shouldn't be doing.

l'll probably go the camelbak route, especially since I don't even have bottle cages on the bike.

Did you happen to notice what kind of bike breakdowns you saw? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same reason I did my first Xterra was just finished up an IM. It is so much more relaxed and fun. Hope these answers help.

I'm going to need to upgrade my pedals and shoes, but I'm not entirely sure what to look for when I do so. So is there something I should look for or avoid? Previously I've just done all my riding on a good pair of flats.

- Clipping in helps on climbs. So many choices like on road but I have always been happy with SPD and I try to find MTB shoes on close out.

Do you guys/gals get a different tri kit for off road triathlons? I usually race in Assos bibs with a tri jersey over that.

- Tri kit. Use bibs on road but not on MTB. Main reason is bibs are more expensive and plan on hitting the dirt. Also, if the course is tight I will wear sleeves versus sleeveless to let me bump off trees. In your area weather won’t be all that bad - we get a lot of humidity.

Any other gear I should consider acquiring? I normally just ride with a camelbak and toss everything I need in there.

- I use camelbak as well. Really good pair of full finger gloves. Also, I always wear glasses to protect my eyes. Transition lenses are best as going from shade to sun - and have one set that start clear for inclement. Also, carry a tool that works for your bike. Lots of people will have tools but won’t have a torx they need for adjustments.

What is the passing etiquette on the bike like whether going uphill or downhill with races like these when it's single track?

- Most MTB riders are not jerks and will let you by. Do unto others and will be fine. I try to let people pass on the safest side when possible. Pre riding the course will give some knowledge about where to pass or where to allow others.

Enjoy. I found this made me better road bike handler and the efforts are very different so helped my road tri performance as well.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: Just signed up for my first Xterra race. Some questions... [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quo Vadimus wrote:
Same reason I did my first Xterra was just finished up an IM. It is so much more relaxed and fun. Hope these answers help.

- Clipping in helps on climbs. So many choices like on road but I have always been happy with SPD and I try to find MTB shoes on close out.

- Tri kit. Use bibs on road but not on MTB. Main reason is bibs are more expensive and plan on hitting the dirt. Also, if the course is tight I will wear sleeves versus sleeveless to let me bump off trees. In your area weather won’t be all that bad - we get a lot of humidity.

- I use camelbak as well. Really good pair of full finger gloves. Also, I always wear glasses to protect my eyes. Transition lenses are best as going from shade to sun - and have one set that start clear for inclement. Also, carry a tool that works for your bike. Lots of people will have tools but won’t have a torx they need for adjustments.

- Most MTB riders are not jerks and will let you by. Do unto others and will be fine. I try to let people pass on the safest side when possible. Pre riding the course will give some knowledge about where to pass or where to allow others.

Enjoy. I found this made me better road bike handler and the efforts are very different so helped my road tri performance as well.

Any sites that are better than others to look for close out shoes? I don't care if they're last years model or even the year before that.

I have a few pairs of the Castelli shorts that I'll be good with then, and probably just need to get a different jersey that I don't mind if it does get torn up. I bought some Giro MTB specific shorts and I never got comfortable in them. Someone told me they supposedly move better with your skin, or something like that, but as uncomfortable as they were even if they do that doesn't matter.

I've got some gloves, I don't know if I'd say really good gloves, but I haven't had any complaints with them. They breathe well so that's all I can ask for in the summer.

What's the norm when it comes to how close you get on someone while waiting to pass?

Yeah I noticed a real nice improvement in my road riding when I started MTBing regularly last year. Some of the climbs I can do on a mountain bike just can't be replicated in intensity on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RayP wrote:
As a first timer off road triathlon participate, what advice do you have for me? I signed up fo Xterra Ogden, and I live in SLC, so am comfortable and familiar with the riding and climbing the area has to offer. Watching some videos people posted from the race actually look kind of tame for the area, from a technicality perspective at least.

I ride a 27.5 hardtail that I'm happy with - Giant Fathom. It's not the best thing out there, I'm aware, but it gets the job done for now until I'm in a better spot to upgrade.

Ride what you got. Simple enough. When the bike is holding you back, vs you holding it back, then you will know it is time to upgrade.

RayP wrote:

I have seen folks ride in their running shoes. Made by feet hurt as I want zero flex in my shoes. What shoes to get? The ones that fit you. Period. Pedals -- I use Candys now instead of eggbeaters so there is a platform if I have to do a CX leap back onto the bike.

RayP wrote:

I only do Xterra/off-road Triathlons. But use a road tri kit as that is what the team bought. Ride with what you got. Heck, I did a couple of them without jerseys. They are not required.

RayP wrote:

Would you change what you normally do for an Olympic Tri? If not, why change what you do for Xterra? I race XC and off-road tri -- some courses are camelbak; some are bottles.

RayP wrote:

When you get to someone, let them know you would like around. Here there is no side preference -- just communicate with the other person. I have started saying things like "Stay Right" so they go that way. Just communicate.

RayP wrote:

After year of training for long course IM branded races, I'm burnt out on it. Any other races similar to this even if not Xterra branded that are in the SLC area or even in Colorado or Idaho that I should consider please let me know!

look up dirttri. I know there is a facebook page for it. Lists quite a few.
Quote Reply
Re: Just signed up for my first Xterra race. Some questions... [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prefersdirt wrote:
RayP wrote:

Ride what you got. Simple enough. When the bike is holding you back, vs you holding it back, then you will know it is time to upgrade.

RayP wrote:

I have seen folks ride in their running shoes. Made by feet hurt as I want zero flex in my shoes. What shoes to get? The ones that fit you. Period. Pedals -- I use Candys now instead of eggbeaters so there is a platform if I have to do a CX leap back onto the bike.

RayP wrote:

I only do Xterra/off-road Triathlons. But use a road tri kit as that is what the team bought. Ride with what you got. Heck, I did a couple of them without jerseys. They are not required.

RayP wrote:

Would you change what you normally do for an Olympic Tri? If not, why change what you do for Xterra? I race XC and off-road tri -- some courses are camelbak; some are bottles.

RayP wrote:

When you get to someone, let them know you would like around. Here there is no side preference -- just communicate with the other person. I have started saying things like "Stay Right" so they go that way. Just communicate.

RayP wrote:

look up dirttri. I know there is a facebook page for it. Lists quite a few.

Yeah I like my Fathom a lot and have no intention of replacing it anytime soon.

I guess when I asked about shoes I was more so asking in regards to brands you guys like or don't like when it comes to MTB. When it comes to road I've had terrible luck with Bontranger, ok experiences with Fizik, but never really fell in love with any specific pair or brand.

I'll look into dirttri, thanks for the suggestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a majority of xterra riders still use some sort of clipped in pedal systems. I do, but most of my pure mtb friends are riding platforms now. That is a significant change. With that said, most xterra courses are not as technical as pure mtb courses, so there may be a long lag for that to change in xterra. I really don't know if I am any faster clipped in or not, but on non technical roads I think I do go faster clipped in.

As far as kits. I think a one piece tri suit is hard to beat in most any race under 3-4 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RayP wrote:

I'm no Xterra expert but here's my 2 cents. I don't know the area but from what I can tell plus your knowledge of the local terrain, I think your bike will be fine. If you ride in the area regularly on that bike then no reason to change now. Actually it looks like there's a decent amount of climbing in the race so a HT might be an advantage. Unless you are a really strong mtn biker you probably won't be limited by the bike.

RayP wrote:

I also use Crank Bros. Candy's. I like that they're easy to unclip from if I need to dab, and there's a platform which makes it easier to pedal when unclipped. I've had good luck with Pearl Izumi shoes but I think shoes are pretty individual. I just bought these X-Alp Elevates and I'm pretty happy with them for everyday riding. Definitely not XC race shoes but good for all different conditions. I've heard people say to avoid ratchet straps as they take longer to put on and can get packed with mud in wet conditions.

RayP wrote:

I use a regular 2-piece tri suit. I like the mobility of a 2-piece suit and it's bound to get dirty so I stick with dark colors. I wouldn't want to swim in road bibs.

RayP wrote:

Same, although mainly because I can't fit a full-size bottle on my bike. It only takes a couple seconds to throw the Camelbak on in T1 and dump it in T2. I have some Tifosi glasses with red lenses that are good in the woods where the lighting conditions are constantly changing, and they work for running too. Other than that nothing that I didn't already own for mountain biking or regular tri's.

RayP wrote:

As others have said, it's generally pretty laid back and most people will let you pass when it's safe as long as you announce your intentions.

You're gonna love it, have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first triathlon I ever did was an Xterra, and I had never ridden a mountain bike on a trail before (my dad wanted to race one for a long time and when I got into the sport I said I would do it with him). Pretty remedial advice but make sure you are somewhat competent with trail riding because it will make/break your race.

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any sites that are better than others to look for close out shoes? I don't care if they're last years model or even the year before that.

- Usually try LBS first then will look at Competitive Cyclist, Amazon, manufacture sites, etc. Saw in comments were looking for brands. I have use Shimano and Pearl Izumi shoes for nearly 20 years and always had good luck. I do recommend the BOA closure system. So much easier.

What's the norm when it comes to how close you get on someone while waiting to pass?

- If they wreck in front of you, you won’t crash with them :). For me it is all about communication. There are some phenomenal MTB’ers that can’t swim very well so just be prepared for that. And there are great swimmers that are learning on a MTB. Later in the race a lot of times it is a fitness thing. Good technical skills will do well on the flats or downhill, but will not be able to climb. Just talk to the other riders as you approach or here them. I have had a lot of people come rushing up on me and ask if they want to pass and they say “nope” because they are on the limit, or they caught on a easy part versus technical.

Know you’ll enjoy it!

Quote Reply
Re: Just signed up for my first Xterra race. Some questions... [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quo Vadimus wrote:

- If they wreck in front of you, you won’t crash with them :).

This made me laugh! My first MTB race, I crashed (tree jumped onto the trail) and the person behind me just ran right over me and my bike! They felt horrible but could not stop or swerve fast enough. I just laughed. Still do today.
Quote Reply
Re: Just signed up for my first Xterra race. Some questions... [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prefersdirt wrote:
Quo Vadimus wrote:

- If they wreck in front of you, you won’t crash with them :).

This made me laugh! My first MTB race, I crashed (tree jumped onto the trail) and the person behind me just ran right over me and my bike! They felt horrible but could not stop or swerve fast enough. I just laughed. Still do today.

Yeah, if you are doing it right there is a lot of laughing with friends and competitors at these things. People don’t believe us when we say that trees move. :). I love the variability of the day, so many different lines to choose, etc.

Know we are talking about the bike, but sometimes the runs make you laugh at the difficulty as well.

Honestly, I can’t recommend Xterra tri enough for someone that wants to recharge. So much fun, far from easy, but learning new skills is a blast.

Quote Reply