Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 St George vs 70.3 Virginia
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

it looks like an opportunity presents itself for my very first US based 70.3 race. My company sends me over to the US (east coast) in late April and I could either do St.George or Virginia 70.3..... I am purely looking for the best race experience, no PR, qualifying slot or anything (will not even be my A race in 2019).

Currently Virginia is only open under this donation option (which I would be OK with) and for St. George I would have to take a domestic flight to Vegas, so price wise it would be same same....

What would you do?

Thanks,
Uli
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St George vs 70.3 Virginia [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
St George and no question about it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did St. George last year and it's absolutely stunning. Definitely a tough race, but the swim is beautiful, the bike is scenic and challenging, and the run is among the red rocks and just a constant up and down. St. George has to be a bucket list race, it's just so unique and the town turns out for it.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St. George without a doubt. Only wish they still had the full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Williamsburg and train on/around the race course. It not ugly or boring, IMO, but it won’t be as pretty and challenging as StG. It doesn’t sound like you’ll be bringing a family, but Williamsburg is great for the other-than-racing activities like Colonial W’burg and Busch Gardens. If you decide to come here, feel free to PM me with questions.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St George vs 70.3 Virginia [triflorida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't speak to Virginia but St George is an
amazing venue
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St George vs 70.3 Virginia [nicholasJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the insights. I think I will try to sign up for St. George ....mandatory bike checkin until 5 pm is kinda tight considering I have to get over there from the east coast - we'll see.

Best
Uli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that It is a 2 hour drive and you LOSE an hour going from Vegas to Utah. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is nothing special at all about the williamsburg area and course, nothing terrible either. the hassle of getting to st george will be immense, but the venue is incredible. that is your call.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 St George vs 70.3 Virginia [jockette21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jockette21 wrote:
Keep in mind that It is a 2 hour drive and you LOSE an hour going from Vegas to Utah. :)

THANK YOU, for pointing that out....I was about to make a very expensive mistake regarding my flight schedule!! The hour time difference would have killed me. You just put yourself on top of my "most helpful" slowtwitch comments list.

I will try to adjust my meetings, so that I can fly out the night before....

again, thanks.
Ulli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, after you check-in the day before for the race you'll need to still set up your bike in T1 out by Sand Hollow reservoir, which is maybe a 25-30 minute drive from the town. So allot yourself some time to get that all done if you'll be arriving Friday afternoon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done St. George 4 times. You are going to absolutely love it. Stunning course. Sand Hollow is other-wordly beautiful. That being said be ready for curve balls. The weather will most likely be hotter than Hades but we have had years with wicked winds and cold. Be ready for anything. The only constant is that the swim will absolutely be wetsuit legal. The water is usually right around 60 degrees with some years going below that. The bike course is not as tough as some people make it out to be. Snow Canyon is very tough but that climb is only 4 miles. However, be ready for one of the, if not THE, most brutal run course in the 70.3 circuit. Beautiful scenery but HILLS and zero shade. You will feel the accomplishment of a 140.6 while only doing a 70.3! Great bang for your buck!

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI, Kinetic Half (70.3) at Lake Anna State Park, Virginia is the following weekend (May 11) and less than a third the price of branded 70.3. Easy to get to/from airports. Feel free to pm me if you would like more info on the race, accommodations etc

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Jan 17, 19 7:23
Quote Reply