Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IT Geeks - Monitors for work?
Quote | Reply
22-year IT guy here...
Our organization is soon to be letting us work from home since pretty much all meetings are over Skype, and they want to save money on office space...
My work monitors suck, 21-22" I think, washed out and flickering occasionally. I plan to treat myself to a couple of new monitors for home. Lately I get more and more headaches from staring at the screens. Aside from getting setup with glasses for the first time in my life, looking for recommendations on which monitors, in the 24" range (will be two monitors side by side), only used for work (coding, etc), are easiest on the eyes.

Reading online, its not really clear if higher cd/m brightness is necessarily better? And is there really any diff between 60hz and 75hz? Anything else to be on the lookout for?

Thx!!
Quote Reply
Re: IT Geeks - Monitors for work? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you thought about an ultrawide? I've been running a Dell 34" 21:9 (3440x1440p) monitor for a few years now, and in the past couple of months gave up the extra 16:9 monitor next to it. With the 21:9 I can have Skype running on one half (or quarter, third, whatever) and plenty of space for other windows. It took a few weeks to get used to the display, but I really like it. This is the newer, better version of the one I got - https://www.newegg.com/...24-260-555-_-Product as the one I got is only 60 Hz.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I work from home, and use a table in my office instead of a desk, so I went with my Surface Pro as one screen and a 42" HD TV mounted on the wall about 5 feet in front of me as the main display. Mostly I work with email, our learning portal and Powerpoint, so for me it's a great setup since my eyes aren't great on the small screen anymore either...

I think if I had a desk I'd go with something like these:

https://www.costco.ca/...oduct.100372654.html

Slick, light and really small bezel so side by side it's kinda like having one screen. I saw them at the store and the image is good...
Quote Reply
Re: IT Geeks - Monitors for work? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
Have you thought about an ultrawide? I've been running a Dell 34" 21:9 (3440x1440p) monitor for a few years now, and in the past couple of months gave up the extra 16:9 monitor next to it. With the 21:9 I can have Skype running on one half (or quarter, third, whatever) and plenty of space for other windows. It took a few weeks to get used to the display, but I really like it. This is the newer, better version of the one I got - https://www.newegg.com/...24-260-555-_-Product as the one I got is only 60 Hz.

I had never thought about using one large ultrawide, will check them out, thx!
Quote Reply
Re: IT Geeks - Monitors for work? [snoots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snoots wrote:

I think if I had a desk I'd go with something like these:

https://www.costco.ca/...oduct.100372654.html

Slick, light and really small bezel so side by side it's kinda like having one screen. I saw them at the store and the image is good...

Thanks, had forgot about costco, had mainly been looking at bestbuy.ca
For work, I wonder if there is any benefit for eyes, to getting a monitor with a faster response time of 6ms and better refresh than 60...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever monitor(s) you get, make sure you DO NOT use factory settings. If you can calibrate your monitor(s), that will go a long way with viewing. A good graphics card is also something to consider.

If you are worried about flicker or MHZ settings, look at the BenQ monitors. I personally don't use them for editing (I use LG), but I have heard they work very well. I have an LG 4K 43" 3-4 feet to my left mounted on the wall, an LG 24" 4K UHD FreeSync monitor that I do all editing on, and an older 21" Dell for Outlook.
Quote Reply
Re: IT Geeks - Monitors for work? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does the single ultrawide work when you have to share your screen? Can you define monitor one and two on one monitor?

I like to keep my sharing on one and then can shit talk on the other out of sight. Or answer important questions while presenting.

I prefer a two monitor set up with one set in landscape and one in portrait so I can work on whichever one better suits what I’m working on.
Quote Reply
Re: IT Geeks - Monitors for work? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
How does the single ultrawide work when you have to share your screen? Can you define monitor one and two on one monitor?

I like to keep my sharing on one and then can shit talk on the other out of sight. Or answer important questions while presenting.

I prefer a two monitor set up with one set in landscape and one in portrait so I can work on whichever one better suits what I’m working on.
Just share the particular app you need to rather than the entire screen. One thing I have not done with my Dell monitor is use the Dell display manager to create split screens on a single monitor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For eye strain install the program flux and use it to filter the blue light on your screen. Pictures etc look wrong but who cares it saves your eyes. It will also adjust screen tones based on time of day.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: IT Geeks - Monitors for work? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:

I never understood the ultrawide, much prefer my 4 monitor setup. Move something to the screen you want expand it full size and fills that screen, Sharing like you said is easy, especially if presenting in multiple formats, just drag what you want to that screen and your good to go.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: IT Geeks - Monitors for work? [Sulliesbrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sulliesbrew wrote:
For eye strain install the program flux and use it to filter the blue light on your screen. Pictures etc look wrong but who cares it saves your eyes. It will also adjust screen tones based on time of day.

Not familiar with that, but will check it out, thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a pair of Samsung 27" curved monitors for working at home and really like the curve. I think curved is a bit of a gimmick in a TV that you're sat across the room from, but works very nicely for a desk environment. If you have enough space to sit a bit further away (and if budget permits) I'd also consider going larger than 24" and maybe also quad HD (mine are regular HD which I sometimes regret). I find the further I sit from my monitors the easier it is on my eyes. Bigger screen and more resolution allows you to sit further away, assuming you have the space to do so.
Quote Reply
Re: IT Geeks - Monitors for work? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Moonrocket wrote:

I never understood the ultrawide, much prefer my 4 monitor setup. Move something to the screen you want expand it full size and fills that screen, Sharing like you said is easy, especially if presenting in multiple formats, just drag what you want to that screen and your good to go.

I really depends on what you work on. Probably 80% of what I do is in Excel with sometimes very wide worksheets, it's not uncommon for me to have a couple hundred columns in one. It makes for a lot of scrolling on my current setup, which is a 3 monitor configuration, kind of a bodge right now, I have a 15" laptop monitor, mostly for Outlook, a 24" primary monitor (mostly excel), and a 21" secondary monitor for additional excel worksheets, accounting system, web, etc etc....

Ultrawide for my primary monitor with one or 2 smaller secondary would work very well for me.

to SBRCanuck, I think eyeglasses will make a much bigger difference than the monitor specifics. My eyesight is terrible, but I don't have any issues with eyestrain on mine since I wear contacts. My wife, on the other hand, has near perfect eyesight, but she does need computer glasses at work or else she gets wicked headaches.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: IT Geeks - Monitors for work? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My current work setup is a 20.5 and a 21.5 side by side. So stepping up to two 24's will be a big plus for me I think. Don't think I'll have any room for more than that. Looking at java code and healthcare HL7 data....

Yeah, glasses, might be time to embrace aging.....lol.......which leads to my next issue, met with three local optometrists over past year, and each one recommended different prescription, and two recommend bi-focals, one not......frustrating...
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Jan 14, 19 7:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was working as a programmer, I changed the background on my edit windows to a light gray instead of white. I always had the lights off in my office and used natural light from the window. I was trying to reduce glare and lessen contrast.
Quote Reply