Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hamstring tight on trainer but not on road
Quote | Reply
I have a problem I’m trying to solve and can’t see to.

When I ride in doors on the trainer ( same bike set up ) my hamstrings get really tight when I ride. I can do about an hour to an hour and half before I need to stop. I’m riding at a low FTP pace. Just some endurance stuff. When I ride out doors I don’t get that same tightness. It’s better on the trainer if I set straight up with out my hands on the bars.

I’ve checked the set up on the trainer ( different bike ) about 5 times to ensure same set up on road bike but I’m sure from this post I’ll check 3 more times which can’t hurt.

Could it be anything else ? It’s actually more pronounced at endurance pace than say doing intervals but those I tend to do only an hour workout so it could just be a time thing.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring tight on trainer but not on road [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most likely possibilities:
1. trainer bike is not the same
2. outdoor bike's seat too high
3. trainer there is no side-side give (when you ride a bike outdoors it moves with every pedal stroke), which may exaggerate any small discomfort/fit issue

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
same bike set up

Where do you feel it, high, low, in the middle? How often do you move around when you are on the trainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring tight on trainer but not on road [mpquick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel it high near my glutes. When I’m done it’s hard to lower myself down into a chair for an hour or so when it gets real bad.

I don’t move much while on the trainer from a sitting point of view. I move my hands around from time to time

I’m going to try putting my road bike on the trainer for a week or so and see what that’s like . I’ve not done that yet cause it means moving my power meter around but seems like something to try
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
I feel it high near my glutes

You say you feel it more on endurance (zone 2?) rides than intervals, and this makes sense, because you're not really moving around. You are at a low enough intensity that you are carrying more weight through your saddle than you would be during an interval. It's not that hard on your legs or aerobic system, so you're kind of just camped out there. Your hamstrings initiate from your sitbones, so you are probably agitating them through interaction with the saddle. I get the same thing on lower intensity long-ish rides on the trainer, and my only fix (that I know of, I am not an expert by any means) is to move around more, stand up, sit up, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m going also throw in there that even though the trainer is set up the same way, your positioning may not be. Even though the seat may be the same height, your positioning may be different on it (sounds like further back). I know I have a tendency to sit further back when I’m inside versus outside.

Maybe try putting the bike you ride outside on the trainer for a ride or two and see if you have the same results?

Team Zoot
Quote Reply