Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon into a 70.3 a week later
Quote | Reply
My partner wants me to run a marathon with her (prob 5hrs) and then a week later i was planning on doing a 70.3.

How much will it take out of my legs?

I can usually run a 1:40 off the bike.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon into a 70.3 a week later [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No mather how fit you are, no way your body can recover from a marathon in one week. This will likely result in injuries and a bad IM70.3 race :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing that next month. I had signed up for the 70.3, but then I managed to get a (not easy to get into) slot for my local marathon.

No goals whatsoever for the marathon, so I'm still training for the 70.3 and my plan will be to run a easy paced half-marathon, then walk the rest for a probable sub 5-hour finish.

You don't have the luxury though (if your partner makes you run the whole way), but if it's 5-hours, there would be some walking in there I think.

All the best...

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will take a fair bit out of your legs, certainly not optimal preparation.

Basically depends on priorities and goals. Personally, I'd try and run with my partner, especially if the marathon was a big deal for her e.g. it's her first one, or she's targeting a PR that you could really help her achieve by pacing her. That might mean re-planning my season around a different A race (sounds like you haven't entered yet?) or might just mean accepting that it could cost me a few minutes but it's worth it. I think the only scenario in which I'd skip the marathon to not jeopardise the 70.3 would be if it was a really big deal to me - e.g. I'd built my season around it already, preparation was spot on such that achieving a big personal goal (PR, worlds qualification, podium, top X% of AG, whatever) was realistic, and there was no suitable alternative race to switch to. Personally I've done lots of triathlons, plan on doing plenty more, and my prep has frequently been compromised by injury/illness/work/stuff anyway, so one more 70.3 isn't that big a deal, whereas I've never done a marathon with my partner and would be awesome to do so. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I’m stupid and every year I do Oceanside 70.3, the Carlsbad 5000 the next day, then Boston Marathon 2 weeks later. This year I think I’m throwing StG70.3 in that mix as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure it will help as I did it the other way round 70.3 followed by Chicago marathon.
Marathon was tough and I didn’t enjoy it but I would say douable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ouch!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're risking an injury for sure.

I tell me athletes no running the week after a marathon and then ease back into the week after.

Too many instances someone runs a 26.2, feels great, goes out and runs and gets an injury that they deal with for 6 months...

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on where your fitness is. If you can run a 3:30 open marathon then run/walking a 5 hour marathon probably wont kill you. Id say its not ideal to do this before a 70.3 but it is doable.

I wouldn't plan on a 70.3 PR but you should be ok. The issue is when you run a marathon like youre supposed to, that's when coming back too quick will get you.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply