Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Should we have a ship round for the gman. Worried [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
remember that the budget hostage situation has on one side a guy who lost the popular vote

Once again, I must point out that the popular vote is meaningless. Had the election been based on popular vote, millions of Republicans in California, NY, and other liberal state would have voted who didn't vote because it was meaningless. Same thing for liberals living in conservative states. So who knows what the outcome would have been.

I miss YaHey
Last edited by: Justgeorge: Jan 11, 19 12:47
Quote Reply
Re: Should we have a whip round for the gman. Worried [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can say lecture and manners. I won't argue. If issue taken, I stand by my post.
Quote Reply
Re: Should we have a ship round for the gman. Worried [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the government workers up in the great north have it so easy, then why isn’t every Canadian trying to get one of those jobs?

In the US, fed worker benefits have been eroding of late and their salary hasn’t kept up with inflation.
Quote Reply
Re: Should we have a ship round for the gman. Worried [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are. At the federal, provincial, and municipal levels, gov jobs are the golden ticket. Especially if you have a degree that's not very useful.

People work their ass off to get one, then kick back and coast for 30-40 years to retirement.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should add, I live in a provincial capital so there are a lot of government jobs here. Almost everyone I know from college who got degrees in English, biology, sociology, yadda yadda yadda are either now working in a government job, trying to get one, or complaining about how they have no job prospects.

People with ambition tend to be frustrated by those jobs as they reward sloth and if they work hard they can probably do better in private sector (but will start out at much lower rates under much more competitive conditions).

Quote Reply
Re: Should we have a ship round for the gman. Worried [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you are ok G. I saw a thing on the news that Coasties are the only military folks not getting paid. Since they are under Homeland security them and TSA have to suck it up. That is so wrong on so many levels. Lots and lots of under 30 aged Coasties with families to feed. So wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
(but will start out at much lower rates under much more competitive conditions).

Everyone I know that works for the federal government would make more money in the private sector. Everyone that I know that has left, has made more money leaving.

Do you think this shut down is going to make these experienced people stay working for the Federal government, with this job market and more pay?
Quote Reply
Re: Should we have a ship round for the gman. Worried [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Yep, working and not getting paid. Thankfully my wife has a good job and we are well established and far into our careers so I’m financially okay but other people not so much.

It’s all fucking ridiculous.

As I understand it, the President prefers to think of this as you being on strike.

Glad to hear you’re doing ok. I have friends in D.C. who just had a baby a few months ago, and they’re going to have to get creative over the next few weeks.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I should add, I live in a provincial capital so there are a lot of government jobs here. Almost everyone I know from college who got degrees in English, biology, sociology, yadda yadda yadda are either now working in a government job, trying to get one, or complaining about how they have no job prospects.

People with ambition tend to be frustrated by those jobs as they reward sloth and if they work hard they can probably do better in private sector (but will start out at much lower rates under much more competitive conditions).

Thank you for reminding me why my BC govt job was so soul-sucking (and boring, and dead-end)...took an unpaid leave and resigned just before my return date. Zero regrets. (In retrospect, should have taken stress leave and sucked off the long-term disability plan for a couple of years but I pride myself on having integrity). Coworkers were generally nice but most of them would not last in the private sector for more than 5 minutes.

Having said that, I feel terrible for the govt workers in the US not getting paid. They should all stay home and then see how fast the dopes in charge find a way to end the shutdown.
Quote Reply
Re: Should we have a ship round for the gman. Worried [Furiosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know many people who have left such jobs? I know exactly one person who left a BC gov job. He started a business, which doesn't really make much money, but, he is way more happy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Do you know many people who have left such jobs? I know exactly one person who left a BC gov job. He started a business, which doesn't really make much money, but, he is way more happy.

One. But she went to work for a University, so kind of the same thing. I am making way less outside of govt but no longer mutter "Christ I hate this place" as I walk into work each morning. In fact I *really* like being at work now, something I didn't think was possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the government workers up in the great north have it so easy, then why isn’t every Canadian trying to get one of those jobs?

I can only speak for myself but I don't want a job where taxpayers have to pay me and I don't want to work in a bureaucratic environment where length of time on the job is rewarded more than ability. You could triple my pay and I wouldn't take a government job.
Quote Reply
Re: Should we have a ship round for the gman. Worried [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I understand it, the President prefers to think of this as you being on strike.

On strike and fully in support of sitting at home so that a Wall would be built and keep them and their families safe. Giving up pay to ensure their families are safe is a small price to pay, for them, not for him though...
Last edited by: Sanuk: Jan 11, 19 23:24
Quote Reply

Prev Next