Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gravel - Suspension
Quote | Reply
Anyone add a Lauf fork or a Reshift stem (or the like, on either) and have words of nirvana or regret? All gravel riding near me is vertical with jarring downhills. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel - Suspension [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently got the redshift stem. I've only ridden with it once but the difference was noticeable. It took away a lot of the road buzz. I noticed the ride feeling a little smoother and then on one paved section I have to ride on the shoulder and it has the cut concrete that give you that buzz so cars know when they're straying off the road and I barely, if at all, felt through the handlebars. I could still feel that buzz through the rest of the bike and through my legs but not coming up through my arms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the redshift stem and I like it... very good compared to suspension stems of old. I also use a Ergon Ef3 seatpost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not tried a fork or a stem yet, but I've been using an Ergon CF3 (Canyon VCLS) seatpost for a few years and it makes gravel moch more enjoyable. Also, erring on the side of larger tires and less air pressure helps as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have a lauf grit and dig it. at first it felt like riding w/ a flat tire but then you get used to it. wish it was stiffer laterally but it's great for what it is and I can't fathom going back.

a couple thing to help though are higher volume tires (primarily why 650b is appealing - wtb byway 27.5x47 on 23mm ID rims is roughly the same diameter as 700x40 on 21mm ID but a ton more cush).

Bar tape - Double up, go thicker, add gel pads

position - ride in the drops over the rough stuff --> greater distance from the stem and you'll get more flex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the redshift stem. It really takes the buzz out of washboards.

I match mine with 650b wheels with 2.1in tires. This combo is great for the rough stuff.

I have a lauf fork on my mountain bike. While I like it for that application I don’t think I would like it for the faster hardpack gravel races that go down more like a road race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have used a Redshift stem for about 650 miles. It's on a Trek Checkpoint SL that has the rear isospeed decoupler. I HATE the decoupler, but I really like the stem. The Redshift provides just enough vertical compliance. It doesn't compromise lateral stiffness at all. Great design. (In my opinion, at my weight (175 pounds), the Isospeed decoupler on the Checkpoint is far too flexy.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HVP wrote:
Anyone add a Lauf fork or a Reshift stem (or the like, on either) and have words of nirvana or regret? All gravel riding near me is vertical with jarring downhills. Thank you.

So the guy with the black rig has the normal Grit and loves it. Where he likes to ride, I'd say it's probably a wise call. However, I just have a hard time getting past the weight. Therefore, I went a different route and run 2.1" tires to get my compliance (orange bike is mine). Lots of give in those tires when running 25/27psi front and rear respectively. I have run them much lower (16/18), but since I still need to stitch tarmac into my rides I'm not fond of the ultra soft tires on the smoother surface.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll have to give the Redshift stem a try. I'm not big on front suspension, so it'll have to be really nice for me to switch.

BUT... I've been using the Kinekt seatpost since April, and I'll never go back. Within two weeks of getting the first one, I got a second for my road bike.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bump on this thread.
Love to know gravel experts thoughts on suspension (laud, suspension stem, seatpost, etc)
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel - Suspension [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Redshift stem and seat post are great adds to a rigid bike. Especially the suspension seat post. I highly recommend.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel - Suspension [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run a Cane Creek eeSilk seatpost and really like it. One less contact point to worry about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After multiple neck fusions my mountain biking days are behind me. I took up gravel riding and really like it. I started with the Redshift stem and liked it. But it's still jarring where I ride. I added the Lauf Grit fork and I like the combo, but I'm sure some would say I'm making some sort of a mistake. If I could only have one I'd take the fork.
Quote Reply