Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What NEW race really captures your imagination? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been watching the "Blahblahman" courses, like Norseman, Alaskaman, etc. I have interest in those, they sound exotic.

I live in Mexico and we only have one "official" Ironman, three 70.3's. There is also another couple not Ironman races Mayanman (70.3 distance) in Cancun or Playa del Carmen and Escape de la Isla de Sacrificios in Veracruz (another 70.3 distance). We have an ultraman 515 in Zacatecas, 3 day double Iron distance.

I know you asked for non 70.3 races, but that is what we got. Also Challenge Baja (moved dates per lack of interest I think) and Challenge San Gil - This one started as a 1.8k/55km/12Km race. That different distance is now the "Classic San Gil" race or something like that, and they also do the Challenge on a different date. I loved racing the "Classic" (I say Classic since I don't remember the name they use exactly now) because at those distances it already felt different than the other triathlons.

I would consider a more swimming specific tri, and I would do 1km swim/20k no draft bike/4k run times 3. Why? more laps to the transition area, so people can watch and give more importance to the gear and transition logistics, more swim relative to the other distances in Tri right now, also, It would take for some people around the time they do a half iron distance so it is not a quick race. I guess there would be a lot of tactics involved in something like this.
Quote Reply
Re: What NEW race really captures your imagination? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done!
Quote Reply
Re: What NEW race really captures your imagination? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Moving towards events like this thread is suggesting would kill tri for me. I do this for the competition, but i think that side of the sport is getting smaller and smaller every year.

i don't understand your post. can you restate? what is it that would kill tri for you?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about this, since you are bringing alternative bikes into the equation, an omnium style of racing. One with cross bike, another with fixed gear track bikes (can be done in parking lot to keep costs low)
The red hook critical really caught on with cyclists. Perhaps to this omnium series, vary the swim.... All fly event?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:
Moving towards events like this thread is suggesting would kill tri for me. I do this for the competition, but i think that side of the sport is getting smaller and smaller every year.

i don't understand your post. can you restate? what is it that would kill tri for you?

I guessing... but you have to look into whom Swimmer328 is replying too. (meister something). In essence he is saying that if TRI turns into more of a party/gathering type of event with less emphasis on the competitive aspects that will kill tri for him (swimmer328).
Quote Reply
Re: What NEW race really captures your imagination? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about this: Best of Both. Not really omnium, but road and mountain bike in duathlon style. Did it as a brewery as the road rider for a team/pair challenge (each team gets three pairs and the lowest combined time wins). Was a fun race on a course I've done many times in triathlons and road racing. At 45, I had my fastest Sparks Lake climb ever and all because I didn't want to let my partner or team down.

Dom did a great job organizing it, especially for a first-year event!
Quote Reply
Re: What NEW race really captures your imagination? [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to do 6-10 Tri's a year, but that will be down to 1-2 next summer, only doing the hometown races out of tradition. Otherwise I've really been turned off by a number of factors (uninspiring or contrived courses, less competition, higher prices and fees, etc.) Gravel racing address all those concerns. The races are more fun, much more competitive, cost less, In New England we've got some really great events coming up, and a bunch I haven't gotten to try but look great. i've done rasputista, D2R2 and Overland, all are fabulous. the really cool thing is, if you've got the legs, you can ride right along side Jeremy Powers, Ted King, Tim Johnson etc, no pro card needed....but you've gotta ride hard! The folks at Rasputista are putting on a 3 day gravel stage race in Sept which also looks great.

The other style of racing I've found very attractive is multisport (basically non- tri/du) Anything that involves multiple legs/sports/skill sets and logistical planning. Favorites include Tuckerman Inferno, Metallak, Josh Billings triathlon (kayaking , not swimming) Other notable New England ones are Greenway challange (usually 10 legs, road/trail/MTB paddling etc from RI to MA) Tully Lake Tri (also kayak) Berkshire Highland Pentathlon. Some really cool ones out west would be Ski to Sea in WA and Pole, Pedal, Paddle in Bend OR .

I am thankful overall to triathlon for giving me the knowledge on how to train and prepare, and learn new skills (adult onset swimming). Now i'm able to take that and put it towards other endeavors such as skiing and paddling and whatever else might come next. if you're specifically interested in what Tri's are intriguing, i would go with the ones that involve mountains, route finding, some gravel if you want ie http://www.s2stri.com/ or https://monadnockfullthrottle.com/
Last edited by: jflan: Jan 18, 19 1:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just saw this ORCA duathlon film with whitfield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo0BkNR9lcs

Im keen on all triathlon related events, but crosscountry multisport (possibly including kayaking, trail running, beach running or MTB)...team or individual - definately captures the imagination!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you want to experience a really exceptional triathlon? Come and join other triathletes of the world in January 2019 for Triathlon North Africa - SAHARA EDITION! You will swim in beautiful oasis in the south of Algeria, cycle on closed road with amazing sceneries and run with a small part through the legendary sand dunes. You can pick from half and full Ironman distance.

THE MOST UNIQUE TRIATHLON IN THE WORLD
Triathlon North Africa - The SAHARA edition is an ultimate and the most unique triathlon on the planet.
It’s a bucket list race that any hardcore triathlete has to experience.
We wanted to create a one-of-a-kind race that will challenge and inspire every triathlete on the world.
This is a triathlon where you will find yourself swimming in a sparkling oasis lying between sand dunes and high desert plateaus, and be all alone on your bike under the highest sand dunes in the world.
Athletes will be fascinated by a vast landscape only inhabited by a small group of people, and camels.
There’s likely to be no one to see you, hear you, or cheer you on in this remote landscape.
It’ll be just you and mother nature, your bike and your will to make it to the finish line.
All of this adventure is in the heart of the Sahara desert, where the most exciting dreams and most wonderful fairy tales were written.
Let the experience be more important than the finish time...
Be one of the world's only triathletes to race in the Sahara Desert.
Enjoy!
https://trinorthafrica.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TriNorthAfrica/
Quote Reply
Re: What NEW race really captures your imagination? [Jakub Atarsia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aren't you a little late with this, didnt the race happen a couple weeks ago? IF so, maybe you could give us a little synopsis on how it went, not just a paste of what's on the website..

Like how come the run is a full marathon as compared to the bike? Since the course is a lot of loops, you could have made any distance, why these particular ones?
Quote Reply

Prev Next