Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flexible and durable brake cable housing
Quote | Reply
I’m installing an Alpha One cockpit this weekend and need to obviously do some recabling. I have used Shimano housing mostly and some Jagwire and I spend half the time yelling expletives because of the pain in the ass that is running cable housing through the various bends of an aerobar. I’d like something a little more flexible for easier installation.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Flexible and durable brake cable housing [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that they're mostly the same. Do the segmented cables have any more flexibility?

I've found when running difficult to route cables, that it can work 'better' if you run a bare cable first as a guide for the housing.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I’m installing an Alpha One cockpit this weekend and need to obviously do some recabling. I have used Shimano housing mostly and some Jagwire and I spend half the time yelling expletives because of the pain in the ass that is running cable housing through the various bends of an aerobar. I’d like something a little more flexible for easier installation.
I have used Shimano & Jagwire, and they seem pretty much the same to me too. I have not tried the Jagwire segmented cabling.

One key thing to consider: The more flexible the cable housing, the more spongy your brakes will fee. The reason is that flexible housing can move more when you apply the brakes, which absorbs some of the braking force before it ever reaches the calipers. The more curves in the run, the more that the flexy/spongy effect will occur.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the Jagwire link on my road bike. They are a bit more flexible but also pretty stiff once they are together for a good brake feel. I imagine they'd be a bit easier to route the housing compared to traditional brake cable housing. You'd just run the inner liner (which is very flexible) first and then just start shoving links on there until you are all the way through (to what you need....like the tedious process of making a long popcorn string for the Christmas tree decoration).

They are supposed to both save weight and be more stiff than traditional steel wrapped housing. I didn't feel a difference in braking or shifting compared to traditional housing but they looked cool and I didn't doubt they saved a bit of weight (being aluminum links with a liner as opposed to steel wrapped with a liner along with an outer casing). Plus they are much easier to work with length wise because as long as you don't cut the liner you can adjust them indefinitely when setting up your bike. Unlike traditional housing, once you cut it you can't magically make it longer (you can make it shorter but usually that isn't the issue many run into).
Quote Reply
Re: Flexible and durable brake cable housing [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m going to give those Jagwire link housings a try. Thanks for the post.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Flexible and durable brake cable housing [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
I've used the Jagwire link on my road bike. They are a bit more flexible but also pretty stiff once they are together for a good brake feel. I imagine they'd be a bit easier to route the housing compared to traditional brake cable housing. You'd just run the inner liner (which is very flexible) first and then just start shoving links on there until you are all the way through (to what you need....like the tedious process of making a long popcorn string for the Christmas tree decoration).

They are supposed to both save weight and be more stiff than traditional steel wrapped housing. I didn't feel a difference in braking or shifting compared to traditional housing but they looked cool and I didn't doubt they saved a bit of weight (being aluminum links with a liner as opposed to steel wrapped with a liner along with an outer casing). Plus they are much easier to work with length wise because as long as you don't cut the liner you can adjust them indefinitely when setting up your bike. Unlike traditional housing, once you cut it you can't magically make it longer (you can make it shorter but usually that isn't the issue many run into).

Aha! I've been wondering about this for a while now. I kept meaning to understand how you threaded through internal routing such as aerobars. I've waited to make the switch until I understood how you avoided loosing links. Cool. Now I know.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Flexible and durable brake cable housing [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I do as well. I always put the new cable into old housing then pull housing and install new cables. Much easier to do with the crazy small holes that the housing needs to come out, especially for the under BB rear brake. Damn "superbikes"!

-JBMarshTX wrote:
I think that they're mostly the same. Do the segmented cables have any more flexibility?

I've found when running difficult to route cables, that it can work 'better' if you run a bare cable first as a guide for the housing.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about to undertake the same project and was wondering how the jagwire links worked. Can you run the cables with just the links and flexible housing inside the aerobar or do you have to use the standard brake housing they provide to connect to the brake lever?
Quote Reply