Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Run 2 Rim 2 Rim plans
Quote | Reply
Flirting with Grand Canyon R2R2R.
Who’s done it and what did you learn?
I am a “good” runner 3:18 and 11hr IM for fitness, have trail run 35 miles around the Sierra’s. But please tell me what I don’t know.

Would it be better to just go R2R before trying the double?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Run 2 Rim 2 Rim plans [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:
I am a “good” runner 3:18 and 11hr IM for fitness, have trail run 35 miles around the Sierra’s. But please tell me what I don’t know.

Thanks

I've done it and it was by far one of the most fun adventures I've ever had. My only real training for R2R2R was my IM training a month before the Grand Canyon run. Between the IM and this run, I believe my longest run was 12 miles. But, I had done other trail runs, mostly 1/2 marathon to 50k distance.

Go in the spring or fall but check to make sure the water is flowing. If the water is flowing, in their pipeline, there is easily accessible water throughout the entire run. But, to be safe, I'd still take a water filter. I was there in the fall and there was a stream beside the trail if we needed water (just in case their piped water was not flowing).

Depending on when you go, everything may be closed on the North Rim so be prepared food and water wise. There also could be snow at the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask yourself: "What would Ashley Horner do?"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the Grand Canyon! I've done r2r2r twice. I did no specific training for r2r2r either time.

First, I did it with my 20 year old cousin who did no training. (He was in decent overall shape, plus he is incredibly tough and refuses to quit) I had just run 3:23 in my first marathon a few weeks prior. Our total time was 16 hours, 48 minutes, which could be considered a power hike time. We had 1 hour and 40 some minutes of stoppage time.

Two years later I did it solo in the fall, after running a 37:10 10k and a very disappointing 3:03 marathon. I did r2r2r this time in 11:40, which was hard but not particularly painful.

I think r2r2r is easier than trans-zion, which I've also done, as a two day backpacking trip with my wife. It's super rewarding the next day to do a hike along the rim and stare off into the vast expanse, knowing what you did the day before. Plus, you can chime in when tourists wearing sandals exclaim, "I wonder if anyone has hiked to the river and back in one day."

Feel free to ask any specific route questions via pm. There's also a facebook group (r2r2r run) about this; Benedict Dugger is the moderator and super helpful. I did a ton of research before we did r2r2r in 2014, but I would've been even better prepared if I'd had access to the FB group.
Quote Reply
Re: Run 2 Rim 2 Rim plans [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesome and thank you. We are looking at it in November. Never head of Trans Zion so wow what a great idea. If there are more let me know.

My friend and I just finished Tahoe Rim Trail. Have done around Mt Hood. Have a group looking at Wonderland but its too far for me. So Zion an R2R2R looks right up my alley.

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trans-zion is point to point from the NW corner of the park to the SE. There is little water and you have to filter it. It's my wife's favorite hike due to the many different characteristics and completely different landscapes along the 50 or so mile route. There's less vert than in r2r2r, but it seems like there's more. The trails are easy to follow, but the trail tread is more difficult than the grand canyon corridor trails. The last six or so miles you're basically walking in a sand volleyball court.
Quote Reply
Re: Run 2 Rim 2 Rim plans [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about water? Where is the best place to see options? We are thinking of a November push and hear what gets turned off and water impacts that has.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:
How about water? Where is the best place to see options? We are thinking of a November push and hear what gets turned off and water impacts that has.

They have a map of permanent and seasonal water here. In November, I would just re-fill at Bright Angel campground at the bottom. The longest push without safe water is from Bright Angel to the North Rim and back (assuming starting from the south). I just throw a few emergency purification tablets in my pack in case I get in trouble from an injury or something and have to grab from the stream that runs alongside the North Kaibab trail.

There is also permanent water on the Bright Angel trail, about halfway to the top. I usually take the South Kaibab trail (faster), but if in trouble it's good to know about the Bright Angel water stop.

Edit: And November can be great. But depending on what kind of storms came prior, you might be prepared to bring micro-spikes to slip over your shoes/boots. Because iced-over trail, particularly near the rims, can really slow you down otherwise.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 14, 19 7:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you need to do R2R before doing R2R2R. The logistics of R2R suck because it is such a long drive to go around the canyon.

One possible compromise would be to stay that the lodge on the north rim, and do South to North on day 1, and north to south on day 2. That way you would be hiking in the daylight both days.

The main key is to just take care of yourself. If you keep eating, keep drinking, and take care of your feet, you'll be just fine. Take the time to stop and change socks, dump sand out of your shoes, etc before your feet start hurt, rather than waiting until you have huge blisters.

The hike down SK has my favorite views of the whole day, so I would start there right around first light. By the time you get halfway down the canyon, you'll be rewarded with stunning views.

The downside to going in November is possible snow/ice on the trail, the water north of Bright Angel might be off, and the days are shorter, which means you have less hours in the day to take in the beauty.

On our way back, we've always done BA because of the access to water (SK doesn't have any water). The views aren't as good on BA as SK, but as you are hiking up, the beauty is behind you anyway. Plus you'll be tired, and won't care as much anymore.

Going to Rainbow Falls is worth the extra time it adds on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am looking at that also, but doing ultra's in Aug and Sept, so maybe next year. Exactly what time , dates did you do it? Can anyone chime in on spring window? Thank You
Quote Reply
Re: Run 2 Rim 2 Rim plans [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine were both in October. I started going down the SK at 4:00 am to beat the mule trains. It was starting to get light out by the time we reached the bottom. November might be great. Check with the park office to see when they plan to turn off the water. There are sometimes water outages as well, so plan to have a plan to carry more water if necessary. You can also (not officially allowed) stash water along the route in hidden areas so you don't have to carry it all the way up.

Early May is a good time to go as well. April could be okay but probably too early and snow on the north rim. Late May is hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hiked 3 days in the GC last spring. I was in good shape. 9:19 at IM FLA 3-4 months before, and kept up my running after, in fact I was running well before the trip. Did not even do R2R, just down to the Phantom Ranch, one day on the floor, and then back up. I was INCREDIBLY sore and could not run for 10 days afterwards. It was awesome but eye-opening. It is a whole different deal and the fact that you can run a edcent marathon does not count for poo. If you do it, walk a lot and expect the 2nd day to be miserable and to be out of action for a month.

The GC is a bucket list destination. I loved it and would recommend to anybody as long as you go the bottom. Lurking around the rim like 90% of the tourists is not worth the drive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Run 2 Rim 2 Rim plans [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After I did IMCDA in 2003 two months later I did the Bridger Ridge Run. 20 miles, about 7,000 in gain an 9 in descent. I thought going into it "I'm an Ironaman 20 miles should be easy...……..I was freakin destroyed. Tri's and serious trails are two different animals
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,
I did the R2R2R in April 2017. Was an amazing run and it was actually my very first Ultra. I would say the only thing you should be confident about is running downhill. Apart from that good marthon shape should get through it. Start slow and eat and drink constantly....one overlooked advice that I would give is to take a rescue/space blanked with you and some flavour to cover up the tast of the water. Even though the water there is portable to me it tasted really bad and I wished I had some gatorate powder or whatever.

Good luck for your run. There is also a R2R2R facebook group where you can read a few postst and pretty much know everything.
Uli
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:

Thanks

Lots of good advice already. Only thing I will piggy back on is what a few said above which is don’t fool your self into thinking somehow that Ironman or marathon shape will get you through this. The loss of elevation on this run is huge and will absolutely destroy you if not prepared for it. This assumes you are actually going to attempt to run it.
Last edited by: 7summits: Jan 14, 19 18:10
Quote Reply