Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Insurance Requirements [LSchmitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I'm parsing through the arguments, I'm left with this question: Are we/ you expecting USAT to provide insurance to people who are not USAT members simply because they are in a USAT club with people that are USAT members?

If so, I struggle to see why USAT would do that. What's their motivation to eat the cost at the expense of paying members, who already don't get much out of their membership? If you're not a member, you don't get the benefits of membership. Unless, of course, I'm missing something.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Insurance Requirements [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as we are discussing this, this came into my email:

(hopefully it's allowed to stay, I don't think it contains anything that can't be openly discussed, but if needed delete if Dan feels need)

We thank you for your understanding as we release this program. We want to clarify a few things for you all so you better understand the program and how to proceed.

When you register for your insurance, please provide the number of club members you believe your total club membership will be during 2019. The number you provide for your club members are covered from day one with insurance. Once you have purchased the insurance, we ask that you provide us a roster via the roster upload tool. This will help us see how many of your club members are current USAT members as well as your current size of your club. Then we will ask you to update that roster and upload a new roster at the end of June that will help us see your growth and any new members you have brought to your club!

From there, we ask that you make best efforts to share the benefits of USA Triathlon annual membership with your club members who are not current USAT annual members. This includes informing those who have purchased 1-day memberships that they can apply that to an annual membership (or if they have 3, they can apply them all and get an annual for $5!). We will be creating some materials to share with you as well that you can provide to members of your club about the benefits of the membership.

If you are making best efforts to have them join USAT, then that is what we ask of you. We agree, it does not make sense for a new triathlete to purchase an annual membership before they have event started in the sport. They are still covered by your club policy when they start out as a club member with you. Our hope is that you, as the club leader, help to inform them of the benefits of an annual membership so when they do get to racing they choose an annual over a one-day license.

For clubs, we have setup the club referral program. As a club leader and an annual member, you have received a referral URL on your member profile page. If you share this URL with club members who have never been a USA Triathlon annual member they can join for $45 and you will receive a $5 credit towards your club enrollment fees for 2020 up the $150 total. So, if you bring in 30 new members in 2019, your fees, including insurance, for 2020 will be no charge.

I hope this clears up any confusion you may have had about the program. We will be following up when access to the USA Triathlon Club Network is available and you can create your free website!

Thanks for your understanding and we truly look forward to a great 2019!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Insurance Requirements [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I *feel* that the bell curve of our membership would say "What's in it for me?" right away when pondering the USAT sign up. At this point, the answer is close to nothing. There's some weak discounts and that's about it. Basic members already pay their tri club and likely feel that money should cover whatever insurance the club needs. They shouldn't have to pay yet another membership they won't get benefits out of.

If USA Cycling and IMBA have figured out a way to partner with a much more enticing discount program like Experticity (formerly 3point5, ExpertVoice, and other names), it seems like USAT could. That alone saved me hundreds of dollars in 2018 on a new bike rack, a few running shoes, and some dog stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Insurance Requirements [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Just as we are discussing this, this came into my email:

(hopefully it's allowed to stay, I don't think it contains anything that can't be openly discussed, but if needed delete if Dan feels need)

We thank you for your understanding as we release this program. We want to clarify a few things for you all so you better understand the program and how to proceed.

When you register for your insurance, please provide the number of club members you believe your total club membership will be during 2019. The number you provide for your club members are covered from day one with insurance. Once you have purchased the insurance, we ask that you provide us a roster via the roster upload tool. This will help us see how many of your club members are current USAT members as well as your current size of your club. Then we will ask you to update that roster and upload a new roster at the end of June that will help us see your growth and any new members you have brought to your club!

From there, we ask that you make best efforts to share the benefits of USA Triathlon annual membership with your club members who are not current USAT annual members. This includes informing those who have purchased 1-day memberships that they can apply that to an annual membership (or if they have 3, they can apply them all and get an annual for $5!). We will be creating some materials to share with you as well that you can provide to members of your club about the benefits of the membership.

If you are making best efforts to have them join USAT, then that is what we ask of you. We agree, it does not make sense for a new triathlete to purchase an annual membership before they have event started in the sport. They are still covered by your club policy when they start out as a club member with you. Our hope is that you, as the club leader, help to inform them of the benefits of an annual membership so when they do get to racing they choose an annual over a one-day license.

For clubs, we have setup the club referral program. As a club leader and an annual member, you have received a referral URL on your member profile page. If you share this URL with club members who have never been a USA Triathlon annual member they can join for $45 and you will receive a $5 credit towards your club enrollment fees for 2020 up the $150 total. So, if you bring in 30 new members in 2019, your fees, including insurance, for 2020 will be no charge.

I hope this clears up any confusion you may have had about the program. We will be following up when access to the USA Triathlon Club Network is available and you can create your free website!

Thanks for your understanding and we truly look forward to a great 2019!

no reason to delete. this is precisely what we need. the only thing i guess i'd add is:

1. does USAT itself market to the 1-day members? because i always thought it should. that it should make the case for annual membership.

2. how closely does USAT tie the roster, or the stated number of club members, to coverage? i just wouldn't want to club to be bare if somebody was deemed to be uncovered because he wasn't on a roster, or the club grew beyond x percent of the stated number.

USAT has always been a great policy. say whatever else you will about the federation, it's always been a rock solid policy. the problem that federations have is they start looking at other federations, seeing what they do. this is why i was always against our federation moving to colo springs. i'll bet that USAT noticed that somebody - maybe USATF - required annual memberships of all its covered clubs. i don't know. just speculating. but i'd ask how many runners there are in the US, and how many triathletes. then i'd ask how many annual USATF members there are, versus USAT annual members. i'll bet USAT has more, even tho triathlon is a fraction of the size of running. USAT is so much better run than USATF it's astounding. so, don't try to emulate USATF.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Insurance Requirements [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:

If USA Cycling and IMBA have figured out a way to partner with a much more enticing discount program like Experticity (formerly 3point5, ExpertVoice, and other names), it seems like USAT could. That alone saved me hundreds of dollars in 2018 on a new bike rack, a few running shoes, and some dog stuff.

Did not know of this. I dropped USA Cycling as I did not get much out of it. Now have the free basic membership -- will investigate. Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Insurance Requirements [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue is by USAT "covering" the insurance costs- that's what they've created....non-members now "covered" by federation they aren't a member of.

In years past, USAT was more static in the insurance policy. But the coverage was between the club itself and the insurance provider (which hasn't changed, nor has the policy/procedure/liability changed). So in essence the only thing that has changed is that now USAT is paying for "non-members" in those clubs that they are "footing the bill" for; but in exchange for those clubs to now push those non-members to become usat members.

So they are basically creating the situation you described...they are now paying for non-members to be covered. In years past the clubs themselves paid for that, now USAT is covering it.

It's essentially a membership drive that at this current time has an "suggesting" policy that all clubs be full of usat members. Which in my guess by 2020 likely just means all members have to be usat members or invalidates the insurance policy.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Insurance Requirements [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
1. does USAT itself market to the 1-day members? because i always thought it should. that it should make the case for annual membership.

I was on a one-day for the single USAT event I did in 2017 and they emailed me afterwards to offer to apply that $15 to an annual license. That offer was on the table for several months. I would not have bought an annual otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Insurance Requirements [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prefersdirt wrote:
dangle wrote:

Did not know of this. I dropped USA Cycling as I did not get much out of it. Now have the free basic membership -- will investigate. Thank you

I didn't know there was a free basic membership. I misspoke and have a license as opposed to just solely membership. I don't know the nuances though. I may have also misspoken in that the discount program is currently ExertVoice and formerly Experticity. I also get emails about "Pedal Perks" from USA Cycling but I don't know what that is.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Insurance Requirements [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is exactly what I am saying. Many people have stated in previous posts some very good reasons for needing this. Lots of clubs have members who are not USAT members for many very valid reasons. Should that mean they are excluded from participating in club things because just because they are not a USAT member but are a member of the club?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Insurance Requirements [LSchmitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess that explains why Tri-Scottsdale now has a member fee but gives you a shit ton of swag. Previously there was no membership fee: if you wanted a hat, you bought a hat, if you wanted a kit, you bought a kit.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next