Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
LAI wrote:
I'd rather run gloves than come up with a solution for dealing with sweaty hands.

Ski bends

Super glue and sand, or a tad bit of athletic tape.

The"neater" solution is probably to use some of the two-part epoxy for carbon fiber with some glass bead. The other thing I was thinking of trying is the shrink sleeve from electronics applications. That has a rough texture and would look pretty custom
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
The other thing I was thinking of trying is the shrink sleeve from electronics applications. That has a rough texture and would look pretty custom

I'm officially stealing this idea.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All this talk about making the bar suitable to no gloves got the gears turning. I had some NIB light foam MTB grips laying around. I have the DS bullhorn mostly done, but still needs a little more shaping. I'll likely finish this up tomorrow night and i'll post up some pics of how it turned out. As of now my intial impressions are that if no gloves tests faster, then this will be an accetable solution.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Jan 3, 19 17:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
trailerhouse wrote:
Lol.. I remember that one :) But seriously, I have grip tape on my speed concept bar and there are plenty of people here who use it. Works perfect there's no way your hand will slip :)

I have no doubt that is the case and it might be the way I end up going. Nevertheless, I plan on testing gloves vs bare hands to see how I shake out with it. The funny thing is I started this thread as I was looking for some other options outside of the AeroCoach and BioRacer gloves. It's looking like those are going to be the route to go, though. That is until I head to the store and pick up some grip tape. ;)

I use POC's discontinued Aero TT Gloves due to their tight fit and long cuff. The long cuffs really help to make sure there's no gap between the Skinsuit arms and the gloves, i.e. no exposed skin. Northwave also makes aero gloves with longer cuffs.
Last edited by: CN: Jan 4, 19 2:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
All this talk about making the bar suitable to no gloves got the gears turning. I had some NIB light foam MTB grips laying around. I have the DS bullhorn mostly done, but still needs a little more shaping. I'll likely finish this up tomorrow night and i'll post up some pics of how it turned out. As of now my intial impressions are that if no gloves tests faster, then this will be an accetable solution.

Decided on this gloomy wet morning to shoot some video instead.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:

Total aside, but what are the cups? Look like wattshop dirty aero. What angle?

Cheers mucker.
Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, no worries. Those cups draw their inspiration directly from WattShop's Dirty Aero cups, but they're slightly different. They are Alden-Carbon and the angle is 15º. I've been pretty happy with them and it seems that Glen is pretty busy making more.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks mate! Will check those out, 15 degree looks good for me and I'm intrigued by the cut out which is a difference from the wattshop cups. That's your bike on Glen's page isn't it?!
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is. However, the bike looks a little different now.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Jan 5, 19 14:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I had found the same thing on Amazon. Have you used it before? If so, do you have thoughts on its effectiveness?

I'm actually liking the foam grips I modified. The increased girth of the bar is much more comfortable in my hand and the shaping on the rear of the grip gives a bracing point for my palm.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hockey tape. I don't like gloves.
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
TriFluid wrote:
I'll echo Chris, AeroCoach Attack Speed

Except the Attack Speed's own page isn't a ringing endorsement for using any gloves at all for aerobars. Maybe that's why so many track pursuiters go gloveless.

Edit: I guess unless you have hobbit-hands.

Topic from the dead.....

Is that for real?

Almost 4w for hairless bare hands?

I’m not Chewbacca, but that’s nuts. Like, even if trimming that hair is just 2w.....that’s more than an ospw. And free.
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly! Imagine the wattage gains/loss for:
Beard / no beard
Hairy legs / shaved legs (and arms)
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^also depending on the helmet and vent type, hair on your head.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shaved legs = 15 watt savings, apparently.
https://www.velonews.com/...-shaved-legs-faster/
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
^also depending on the helmet and vent type, hair on your head.

This is why I'd like to learn what the inserts for my Tempor are for. One insert appears to keep the vent from directing air to your head somehow. That would suck on a hot day, but for 20min.......whatever. I may buy some disc wheel valve hole cover stickers in bulk to block the vents. They're the perfect size and not super tacky, just enough to remove and reuse them.

Also, the beard thing..........the Specialized Win Tunnel videos had it down to less than a watt. Or one second for 40k. Well within "noise" in my opinion.

Looks like I need to be trimming my hand hair using the electric beard trimmer and foil.
Quote Reply
Re: Gloves for Time Trial [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

Topic from the dead.....

Is that for real?

Almost 4w for hairless bare hands?

I’m not Chewbacca, but that’s nuts. Like, even if trimming that hair is just 2w.....that’s more than an ospw. And free.

Did you catch my 2019 tunnel thread? my somewhat hairy hands tested faster than the AC gloves.

I just dug that thread up and it really doesn't show the difference between bare hands and gloved, clearly. So....

bare hands:
0º – 0.193 cda m^2
2.5º – 0.189 cda m^2
5º – 0.190 cda m^2

gloved:
0º – 0.194 cda m^2
2.5º – 0.194 cda m^2
5º – 0.191 cda m^2

burnthesheep wrote:
Also, the beard thing..........the Specialized Win Tunnel videos had it down to less than a watt. Or one second for 40k. Well within "noise" in my opinion.

Yeah, I don't think you're far off here. I've run a serious beard in the tunnel and no beard. not back to back, though.

ETA: put some data in there.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Dec 5, 20 10:39
Quote Reply

Prev Next