Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on the individual. Some people cannot handle not having the latest (and greatest) of anything.

I upgrade my Garmin watch every 2nd release - currently still have the 920xt. My wife does the same but on a different cycle - currently has the 935. So we always have the latest 2 versions within the house. Very happy with my 920xt and don't covet my wife's 935. Although the wife is always jealous during the periods that I have the latest.

I ride a Specialized Transition Pro (purchased in 2011) and use a Garmin Edge 800 bike computer (wife has an Edge 520). I do not feel like I am missing out on anything, so I'm not someone who has to have the latest
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the new Coros Apex, awesome watch. Like it even more then my 935.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
Take a look at the new Coros Apex, awesome watch. Like it even more then my 935.

Jeroen

I actually saw that on my Facebook feed last night and am VERY impressed. I’m one of those people that feels like Garmin has imprisioned the triathlon world by offering the best product with one or two features that you lust for (battery life) that no one else seems to offer then put about 400 different features you could care less about.

Will COROS be the one to free us of that?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At this point, battery life is the most important as long as the existing features aren’t taken away
Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Battery life and an oHR are pretty important to me. See... I’m a disorganized mess and forget where I put HR straps or to charge devices. Also back in the old days before I had a Garmin or an ANT+ stick and had to keep a manual journal I was just plain awful at it. Even if and when I finally replace my dead HR strap there will undoubtedly be days I can’t find it at 5am before work or get out of my car just to find I left it in the basement.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [commandersnake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They could add a 1-button Uber ride request location feature. So if you're stranded roadside because your tire blew out, it would be quite easy to get a ride home.
Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or just in case you wanted to Kip a race :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
.... then put about 400 different features you could care less about. ...

Don't forget that those features are mostly software built on top of the existing 'core' hardware. For example, you mentioned golf swing earlier. There is nothing golf specific in the watch - it just uses the accelerometer that is already there for 'table stakes' features like step counting. So the fact that those features are there doesn't make other features less good. It's just another app on the watch; just as having WhatsApp on your iPhone doesn't make the email app worse.

You can just delete/not install the apps you think you don't need, and if you later pick up golf you can reinstall the golf app. And if somebody at some point comes up with a Garmin app to quantify the quality of your judo throws, you can install that too.

I guess the only thing you could say is that the time Garmin engineers spend on the golf swing app isn't spend on the running or cycling apps. However, having worked in software platform development it is my experience that the platform gets better when it's used outside it's comfort zone - bugs are found and features are added that may be used to improve the core applications.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CyclingClyde wrote:
In terms of future proofing for Tri/running, one thing the 935 is "missing" and *may* become standard is measuring/calculating/estimating running power. I think the only watch that currently does this is Polar Vantage V. Running power seems kind of niche in 2018, but I bet cycling power did in 2005...I have no idea if Garmin is planning on adding this in on their next multisport watch or not but you could always just get a Garmin or Stryd foot pods which will do the same thing and I believe you can then display it on your 935.

I dont currently use running power or plan to start in the next year or two. I have had my 935 for about 1 year and absolutely love it. I'll be holding onto it as long as it keeps it's battery life.

Running power will never take off like cycling power. The metric is far less useful for training/racing and can be downright deceiving in certain situations (downhills, headwind, etc)
Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
sathomasga wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
Maybe I’m convinced. To save money I could go back to the old HR strap days.

Or to get accurate heart rate measurements.

(To be fair, wrist-based heart rate seems to work fine for some folks, but it's definitely not the ticket for everyone. I've tried Garmin, Suunto and Coros, and none were accurate enough to be useful. Surprisingly, my Apple Watch Series 3 is spot on. It's even better than a HR strap since it doesn't have the spikes that occasionally plague the start of my workouts.)

My 935 gives fine HR during the day, mostly (as far as I know) but did NOT when running. I solved the spikes with wetting the strap contacts before use.
My 735 HR is horrible for runs. It'll be OK for easy runs @ around 160 or so, but when I'm doing intervals, it won't track at all, sometimes have had it drop to like 120 or something when it should be 180-190.
Quote Reply
Re: How futureproof is the 935? [caverunner17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My 735 HR is horrible for runs. It'll be OK for easy runs @ around 160 or so, but when I'm doing intervals, it won't track at all, sometimes have had it drop to like 120 or something when it should be 180-190.

May be self-evident, but have you tried snugging up the wristband? I found my 735 (and 935) work so much better when it can't move around.
Quote Reply

Prev Next