Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rio 4x100m Gold Underwater Footage
Quote | Reply
This was really good video that I had not seen: Dressel-Phelps-Magnusson-Adrian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOjloDn8spI

There are a lot of good angles of what is going on under water.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio 4x100m Gold Underwater Footage [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
This was really good video that I had not seen: Dressel-Phelps-Magnusson-Adrian:

That is some great UW footage. It is always amazing to me how fast they move their legs in kicking!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Rio 4x100m Gold Underwater Footage [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

That is some great UW footage. It is always amazing to me how fast they move their legs in kicking!!!

Also the rate and amplitude of the dolphin kicking...that requires a lot of strength and aerobic capacity. If most of us try to dolphin kick that hard, we'll be anaerobic and spending the entire length recovering and gasping for air.

Keep in mind that 100m swimming is roughly the same as elite 400m track sprinters. It's not all anaerobic fast twitch. Lots of aerobic capacity at play too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are some outstanding swimmers, and hat's off to them.

BUT
For distance swimming (a subset of triathlon), watching this video is about as useful as watching running track sprinters racing in the 100m olympic finals to get a good example of efficient and effective marathon running technique.

(In other words, or tl;dr, it's not that useful ...
;^)

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Rio 4x100m Gold Underwater Footage [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

BUT
For distance swimming (a subset of triathlon), watching this video is about as useful as watching running track sprinters racing in the 100m olympic finals to get a good example of efficient and effective marathon running technique.

;^)

More like the 4 x 400 m relay in track, since 400 m run approx = 100 m swim. Understand your point but all STers are not mary or IM competitors, as some of us do weird things like Masters swimming, sprint triathlons with 400-800 m swims, and swim-run events with a 2-mi run and 800 m swim. Certainly a 400-800 m swim is way diff from 100 m swim but, as they say, you gotta swim a pretty fast 100 m to do a fast 400 or 800 m. As for those focused exclusively on IM and mary racing, well, just pass threads like this by.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Also the rate and amplitude of the dolphin kicking...that requires a lot of strength and aerobic capacity. If most of us try to dolphin kick that hard, we'll be anaerobic and spending the entire length recovering and gasping for air.
Keep in mind that 100m swimming is roughly the same as elite 400m track sprinters. It's not all anaerobic fast twitch. Lots of aerobic capacity at play too.

Ya, their dolphining is just phenomenal!!! And ya, that 4:1 ratio of run to swim is pretty accurate.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

BUT

;^)

I disagree. I have yet to see an AOS or masters swimmer who got faster at the 100 who didn't see some carryover to the 400/800/1500, particularly if they got their incremental speed through better mechanics.

The reverse is not necessarily true, as aerobic conditioning matters more for the longer distances.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

BUT

;^)

idk, HITS does have the super sprint with a 100m swim...

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

BUT

;^)

As a former track sprinter, who became reasonably proficient at running marathons at an age group level, I would say that you may be somewhat off. Now I happened to be a track sprinter who probably should have been a miler from the start, but I was really good to 30-40m and as it turned out I could go for a really long time at speed....my top speed was never great for a sprinter. However, all that track work bestowed me with the right mechanics to hold my body together for the end of long races from 5K up to Ironman. The mechanics are pretty well the same, its just the stride length and frequency that changes....it's all running.

I think this under water footage is excellent even for Ironman swimmers. Think about what happens in the first 50m of the mass start. This is where LIONEL LOSES every big championship race. He's too worried about his pace times for 10x100 and other longer sets rather than getting his full bore 50-200m speed down.

In any case. there is some excellent footage here on streamline (while applying power) that applies at all intensities. Just slow down the kick, but even that kick is applicable when you have to shut down a gap, drop someone, or just ensure that you don't lose some faster feet (at least until you tuck in tight onto the faster swimmer's hip).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Lung capacity too; I've read that swimmers are self-selected in part by lung capacity, e.g. how can you hold your breath underwater. Since swimming requires much more "breath holding" than say running, cycling rowing, or any other non-aquatic sport i can think of, this makes sense. Doing 5 or 6 powerful dolphin kicks off the wall requires great lung volume as well as aerobic capacity. Also, the ability to both kick hard and pull hard requires a ton of O2, which is of course why the % of time spent kicking hard tends to decline as the race distance gets longer. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the rules for when swimmer #2, #3 & #4 can leave the block? It appears to me, and I could be wrong, that the previous swimmer doesn't have to touch before the next swimmer dives. With races like these being won by fractions of a second, it seems that if you fudge slightly on your dive, it could be the difference in winning or losing.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Rio 4x100m Gold Underwater Footage [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
What are the rules for when swimmer #2, #3 & #4 can leave the block? It appears to me, and I could be wrong, that the previous swimmer doesn't have to touch before the next swimmer dives. With races like these being won by fractions of a second, it seems that if you fudge slightly on your dive, it could be the difference in winning or losing.

The swimmers feet must be in contact with the blocks when the prior swimmer touches the wall.

There's no fudge. The sensors in the blocks and on the wall will register if you leave early.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

BTW - Magnusson is an Aussie... The USA's third swimmer was Ryan Held.

Lots of good footage of the French team as well.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Surprisingly, there's hardly any hip roll in these guys..for the most part, their kicks are vertical. No side to side motion.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Rio 4x100m Gold Underwater Footage [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Surprisingly, there's hardly any hip roll in these guys..for the most part, their kicks are vertical. No side to side motion.

Why is it surprising??? If you've got good flexibility and are breathing properly with the old "one goggle in water, one out", then you really don't have to rotate much at all to breath.

Quote Reply
Re: Rio 4x100m Gold Underwater Footage [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
stringcheese wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Why is it surprising??? If you've got good flexibility and are breathing properly with the old "one goggle in water, one out", then you really don't have to rotate much at all to breath.

He’s not talking about just the breath. A lot of people roll their entire body on each stroke,

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Rio 4x100m Gold Underwater Footage [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
stringcheese wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

He’s not talking about just the breath. A lot of people roll their entire body on each stroke,

Yes...
I've been taught, by multiple coaches, there's more power when the hips are engaged.
Also, the whole plowing through the water like a "barge" vs slicing with a"deep well hull" argument.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply