Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike help needed
Quote | Reply
I currently ride an amazing Trek project one full Di2 bike. I will admit it’s an amazing bike and I love it.

The problem is in 2019 I’m doing 2 international races and the bike is very difficult to break down and travel with. So I want to build something that is mechanical and easy to break down to travel with. I’m open to any and all suggestions.

What say you?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike help needed [pastorjeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, di2 is easier. Just unplug the junction. My SC was was easier electronic over mechanical. Getting those four cables to cooperate was no fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you racing a tri or just riding? Which makes a huge difference.
For the cheapest option that's a good all around ride I'd go with a surly travelers check built with whatever group the budget permits. I'd go with 32 or 36 hole rims since they will hold up well traveling, get splitters and a travel case. If the budget permits more check out the S & S coupling website and look up who sells frames with them installed. I've seen them in Ti and carbon, just requires round tubes. I did have my wrench confiscated when I tossed it in my carry-on bag when it was deemed a weapon so make sure it goes in the case. There are other variations, and I packed a ritchey a number of times but the S & S was the best. Also never had to pay for it being a bicycle, always claimed it was archaeology equipment and the counter people always let it slide.

Travel bike for racing I don't know that there's really an easy solution since anything aero won't really break down easy. Just have to get a large travel case and practice.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike help needed [Fuzzybunnies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be traveling for ironman races to a TT bike. Basically looking for mechanical and things that don’t have integrated brakes and the front fork is relatively easy to pull apart and put back together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shiv, P2, P3 or QR bikes that are really nice and have pretty basic builds. I really like the TriRig brakes for the ease of adjustment and being pretty darn aero. Etap is the easiest to travel with. No cables and adjustments are stupid simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike help needed [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the thoughts.

The biggest problem with the speed concept is the front end is a pain to pull apart and put back together. It’s not so much the Di2 as it’s where it’s mounted on the bike which is on the stem area so it all has to be unplugged. Then having everything else integrated makes it more difficult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might be better off finding a bike shipping company who collapse/ rebuild the bike as part of the service. Most decent, aero TT bikes are fiddly to take apart, but they are fast. There seems little point in traveling to compete in an IM race, only to put in a slow ride on some heap of crap that you selected because it is easy to dismantle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How good is your wrenching normally? I ask this as you're going to have to invest a fair bit of time (and money) on a new bike and then getting the fit sorted. So if you are basically competent at bike mechanics then you may be better spending some time just practicing each week taking it apart and reassembling in the comfort of your own home. As you say, it's not that tricky, just fiddly. On the other hand, we all have our skills and 'negative abilities'. Mine is swimming, no much how hard I practice, just get slower. So if you've not got the gift of the allen key at all, you may be better with a new bike option I guess.

But I wanted to at least put out the notion that this sort of thing is something that if you practice it (like most things) gets easier and quicker. Also, if you buy a couple of good workshop tools (torque wrench, handled allen keys, etc) then that will help you a lot (and be cheaper than a new bike).
Quote Reply
Re: Bike help needed [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question! I am ok at wrenching. I have all the right tools and such. The getting it apart and packing it isn’t as big a deal as getting somewhere like Vietnam and not having all the tools I have at home and not knowing if a fairly easily accessible place to help me out.

I will be selling a training bike that I have that would work great but it is simply to big. I have a cervelo P3 that my buddy built at a local shop for me that is mechanical ultegra. It’s fine for the trainer as we set the angles and such correct for my fit but is just to big to actually race. I will be selling that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I could be missing something here, but just make sure you pack the tools you need ;-)

Comes back to the practice drills where you will know which tools you need. Then just make sure you label / list them and take them.

Regarding vietnam, don't forget that there's a lot of bikes over there.... Ok, not all carbon TT bikes, but per head of population a lot more bike shops... And of course if you're racing one of the bigger tris over there then there will be plenty of people with similar needs, and of course a fair splattering of people with the skills.

Ironically I travelled back to the UK earlier this year with my bike, and foolishly left the bolt that is the hidden seat bolt clamp in NZ. Over there then because all that was available in Devon was Halfords and big hardware stores then it was a nightmare to find a bolt that would work. I'm guessing that a small independent bike mechanic would have had a much larger bucket of spare bolts. Even I have more in the shed from old bikes / parts that 'may come in handy one day'. ;-)

It's good that you're thinking about this early, but I do worry that you're over thinking a bit. These are trips to organised races, you're not doing a self supported round the world trip. So if you are OK with the 'usual' assembly/ dissasembly then you will be OK.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike help needed [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, just to add. One 'overseas' ironman I did I was in the bike shop that was doing the pre-race bike checks/stickers and someone walked in with a pretty top of the line bike. He was wanting the shop to set his saddle height as he'd dropped it for travel. Now this to me was a sign of someone that either was genetically incapable of using a spanner, or just totally unprepared.

Although I've also seen a very very experienced pro lose their shit completely in a race and come into the tranistion area at the end of a lap on the bike screaming for help because the chain and fallen off the jockey wheel and they had no idea how to put it back on. Cost them about 30seconds and potentally a podium place.
Quote Reply