Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Low back pain and hip extension
Quote | Reply
My hip flexors have been quite tight lately. I guess it stems from a summer of hardcore cycling and not running due to ITBS.

Lately I have been stretching and foam rolling a lot and also did some gym work to address imbalances. I also actively tried to push back more while running.

I took 5 days off from training during christmas due to a cold. I started back with the following programme:

day 1: 45 minutes easy running, felt a little stiff as expected after the break.

day 2: 35 minutes easy running with 4 strides, felt already quite smooth and rested

day 3: 35 minutes easy running with 5 strides and 90 sec at 10k pace to check how the body is reacting. I felt quite smooth and springy during the strides and the short effort. But during the "cool down" I experienced some pain in the lower back. It got a bit worse after the run.

I've never felt back pain while running. Can it be that I run with a more hollowed back when I try to activate the hip flexors more?

I've had some few periods with low level back pain before when I was inactive for a while. But usually it just cleared up as soon as I got back to training. This time it flared up during a run.

Maybe I am a bit hyper sensitive at the moment, but I've just missed a summer due to injurie and I don't want to have another layoff.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Low back pain and hip extension [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First recommendation is to see a sports doc/PT. If not, check out Running Rewired for great exercises to address hip/core weakness and instability that's probably causing back pain.
Quote Reply