Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [sharknado] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where is DL racing gaining traction? I ask because I'd like to do some DL racing.
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race I'm looking forward to is the one that doesn't exist yet. It may or may not happen. but I think it will, but it involves me getting off my ass and making it happen.

My idea is to do an off-pavement triathlon (probably a mountain bike course) without the transitions. about 30 minutes or so between swim and bike and run from the last finisher, time gaps accumulate. So finish the swim 30s ahead of the next guy, and you get a 30s head start. and do it all on the honour system (lay a stopwatch on the ground, note your time as you finish), unless I can convince someone to be a timekeeper. Winner gets a bottle of J.D. Shore (local rum), but they'll have to share it with everyone else. probably throw in a surprise prize for the lanterne rouge as well. (could be awesome, could be terrible, you just don't know)

I have a couple of potential venues in mind. But I'll have to get off my ass and do it.

Slowman wrote:
other than ironman or anything that's been going on for awhile. unless it's a new ironman that's distinctive in some special way.

what is going on out there in multisportland that's NEW, and that you think is really cool? and that your friends (and slowtwitchers) need to know about? by NEW i mean either brand new, a new race, or a race that's a year or two or three old that is really catching on. and tell me why it's SPECIAL. why it's DIFFERENT. why i should be as excited as you are.

might i also say that if you don't have this race on your calendar - whatever it is - then one point of this exercise is to let you know about it (because you don't know this race exists) or to get you off your petootie to enter this race that you know this wave is sitting out there waiting to be surfed by you.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
That makes sense, as I said I think "draft legal" for a off road event makes all the sense in the world simply because that's what everyone does + it's impossible to officiate + "draft legal" off road is completely different dynamics than on road triathlon. So as I said it's really much less "draft legal" out there and more just everyone out for themselves and if you sit on a wheel and can take the rocks in the teeth, you'll sit there and take the dusty mouth but you'll more than likely just move at your own pace. But I don't think gravel tris will turn into DL on road tactics where it's all about making the "group" and then doing no work. Even in "draft legal" gravel type events will be much more individual races than their on road counterparts.

I have not done something large like DK but other gravel bike events there are groups that form but they definitely get broken up into smaller groups. I find it pretty dangerous getting close to somebody's wheel as gravel terrain can be pretty unpredictable (ie. big rocks, big holes, fallen branches, mud pits, etc.) I definitely keep a little distance from the rider directly in front of me.
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
Just registered for the inaugural SOS Cape Cod, really looking forward to the format and location.

wow. that's great.. looks like they are planning for more SOS races in other locations as well.. I'd get off my couch to do one of those.

personally I'd be excited to have family, work, finances and injury status all line up, so that I could actually do a race in 2019.. any race.. ha.
Failing that I'm looking forward to the MIAC conference swim championships in Feb, cheer on #1 son and his friends.. several of them have a shot at NCAAs this year.
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Tunnel Marathon in Washington State on June 9th to qualify for Boston 2020. Plus I am racing SwimRun Lake James (NC) on April 20th and SwimRun San Juan Islands (Washington State) on September 22nd and my female partner for both of these races is ace..
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:
Just registered for the inaugural SOS Cape Cod, really looking forward to the format and location.

wow. that's great.. looks like they are planning for more SOS races in other locations as well.. I'd get off my couch to do one of those.

personally I'd be excited to have family, work, finances and injury status all line up, so that I could actually do a race in 2019.. any race.. ha.
Failing that I'm looking forward to the MIAC conference swim championships in Feb, cheer on #1 son and his friends.. several of them have a shot at NCAAs this year.

only thing. i think it should be SOCC. i have a sort of problem with 2 place names. like gran fondo new york dubuque. just me. carry on.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking forward to the Big Savage Challenge in September. While Savageman is well-known, the new three-day endurance challenge with a swim-run prologue is completely new to the event.

Friday evening: 3x(250m swim-1 mi run)
Saturday morning: Savageman 30
Sunday morning: Savageman 70

https://kineticmultisports.com/races/savageman/

I've done several double race weekends over the past few years and am excited to make it a triple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://endracing.com/wilderman
Wilderman Full: 2.4 miles of swimming, 113.4 miles of gravel grinding, mountain biking and stream crossing, and 26.7 miles of the gnarliest trail running in the state.
Wilderman Half: 1.2 miles of swimming, slightly more than 63.8 miles on the bike, and 16.2 miles of trail running.
Wilderman Relay: Full course, but as a relay. Teams of 2 or 3 (since we realize dragging a swimmer up to only do one part of the race is sort of mean).

I know ST'er Ianpeace has done wilderman, and spoke highly of it.

https://badcatultra.com/
Short-Course: 15 miles of kayaking, 135 miles of biking, 52 miles of running.
Long-Course: 30 miles of kayaking, 248 miles of biking, 106 miles of running.
This was supposed to happen last year, but I am not sure if it got off the ground or not. Looks like they are planning on it this year. Looking at this one gives me a boner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two races I'm looking forward too are Mountain Man Olympic, everything I've been told is that it's not the altitude that gets you on the bike or run leg. The altitude gets you on the swim leg. So will be driving to Flagstaff to swim in Lake Mary during June...oh and yes it's a wetsuit swim. Perhaps next year I will look at the Mountain Man half in August.

Then, my A race is a HIM. Inaugural Traverse City 70.3. Will be my first time to Michigan and my girlfriend has been trying to get me to go to Michigan in the summer, so here we go. First "RaceCation" for us and traveling with bikes and all the things that go with that.

Bike are expensive, and I only own my Argon 18 now. So I'm not really interested in this whole draft legal ordeal until I get some more cash...and by then I'll probably be asked if it's n+1 or N+Wedding.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Lanzarote. Bucket list IM it seems...
IM70.3 Vichy. Racing my buddies. Always good fun!
IM Barcelona. Draft fest? :-)
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [J.Thompson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J.Thompson wrote:
Not new, but the wife and I are doing Wildflower, should be a blast. Pray for rain!!!!

You better pray your wife don't kick your ass!!!

Me? Perhaps I'll sign up for the 1st annual sprint they're having here at SaddleBrooke, the 55+ community located in Tucson... Maybe there will only be 3-4 in the 60-64 ag and I can podium!!! You can join me J - But then you might also get your ass kicked by your 'ol-man'... haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being in South Florida, I really enjoy Miami Man and Escape to Miami.
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [vkanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This looks incredible
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Dgconner154 wrote:

Also stoked for my second crack at Xterra French River this summer. I really want to do a couple more Xterra's this season but it seems like the east coast races are disappearing quickly.

Thinking about a couple pure MTB races - maybe the MTB division of the Black Fly Challenge in the Adirondacks and/or the Landmine Classic here in MA.

now you're talking! we're sympatico!

Yeah, I keep saying I need to do another XTERRA or 2 every year, and then don't.
Which means I'm probably part of the problem of why there are fewer and fewer of them now. Sigh.

Thinking about Whiteface 100 race, as a Leadville qualifier.

I'm doing SOS Cape Cod (which is now SOLD OUT).

Also, while American Zofingen is not new (started 2005), it was unfortunately cancelled 2 years ago due to construction issues in and around the venue, and started up again last year under new RD.
There's been another reorg at RD, and Tom Ganz (who has been the driving force behind the event for many years now anyway) is running the whole show with his team.

It's the most beautiful and challenging duathlon around.
Get some.

https://runsignup.com/Race/NY/StoneRidge/AmericanZofingenDuathlon

Of all the years AmZof has been run, I have only missed 2.
Very excited to be back crushing dreams (likely just my own) there again this May!!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
Boston Marathon! I’m 57. I qualified and raced in 2018, but the weather sucked so back that it wasn’t anything like the event I was expecting. Managed to qualify again and I’m hoping for better conditions so the crowds come out to cheer us on.

Guess I wasted my time standing outside all day in shitty weather to encourage runners up Heartbreak Hill. Sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it have to be multi sport?

If not, Ok I’ll bite.

I only found out today that my dream race exists. It’s a trail run through one of oldest, rarest and most ancient rainforests in the world. Some say this forest is millions of years old (or ok when dinosaurs used to roam around). Myth or reality ... the race goes right through the heart of it.

I don’t want to name the race or the place because they only accept 120 runners .. so shhhhhh

If the stars align for me I’ll run it next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 5 years ago a new Triathlon event was rolled out in Toronto (Canada). It's called the Toronto Triathlon Festival. What makes it unusual is that it is run in the middle of the City. The swim (which has been chilly in the past) is in waters of Ontario Place (on Lake Ontario), and swimmers go under the structure built into the lake (in the 70's) which holds the Cinesphere where I believe the first IMAX films were shown, and finishes in the yacht basin. The bike leg takes place on the only major highway (Gardiner Expressway) that runs across the base of the city, then heads north on the Don Valley Expressway (the other major highway, some say, we're a bit short of highways), which essentially cuts through the center of the city, vertically. That shuts down all highway traffic on the Eastbound and Northbound half, for the race. It's an uphill climb, so the return on a relatively smooth highway, is very fast. The run takes place through a park and road that runs beside the lake. They have beer in the food area after the race. :0) http://www.torontotriathlonfestival.com/

It's one of two races I can ride my bike to, in the middle of Toronto.

The other takes place on the islands that forms Toronto's Harbour (Center Island) which is also a blast, because it takes a ferry ride at an ungodly hour (before dawn) to get to the venue and you have the vista of Toronto at night over the lake to watch as you go. Great race, but it's being going a while so it doesn't quite qualify as "new". http://multisportcanada.com/torontoisland/

I have done both. They are a blast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Double deca ironman world cup (20 IMs in 20 days). Finally being held again after some years.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
other than ironman or anything that's been going on for awhile. unless it's a new ironman that's distinctive in some special way.

what is going on out there in multisportland that's NEW, and that you think is really cool? and that your friends (and slowtwitchers) need to know about? by NEW i mean either brand new, a new race, or a race that's a year or two or three old that is really catching on. and tell me why it's SPECIAL. why it's DIFFERENT. why i should be as excited as you are.

might i also say that if you don't have this race on your calendar - whatever it is - then one point of this exercise is to let you know about it (because you don't know this race exists) or to get you off your petootie to enter this race that you know this wave is sitting out there waiting to be surfed by you.

SOS Triathlon in New Paltz, NY. I am just PRAYING I stay injury free. Broke my ankle last summer and had to pull out. It's not a new race, but it looks to be amazing!
Quote Reply
Re: What race are you REALLY looking forward to in 2019? [snail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hardrock 100
Quote Reply

Prev Next