Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where would you go to combine swimming and beach vacation?
Quote | Reply
What I am looking for is a

- good to very good hotel
- directly at the beach
- where it is warm in November
- and where I can swim (train) in a pool without harassing other guests.

Running and cycling options are not important.

I did some search in Bali and Mauritius, but did not find the ideal combination yet.

Any ST reader on here with a good recommendation?
Quote Reply
Re: Where would you go to combine swimming and beach vacation? [swimslikeabike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bronte Ocean Pool & Bondi Iceberg Pool is on my bucket list...
Quote Reply
Re: Where would you go to combine swimming and beach vacation? [swimslikeabike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
St. Croix. Add an open water race into the mix since it's the right time of year for you: http://swimrace.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hilton Waikiki. Takes longer to ride the elevator door to the lobby then it does to walk to the ocean. Water so clear you ca see 20 yards all around. Warm and calm.

If you want to doa run swim run it is a 1 mile all mup trek to a city park with a 800 meter long swim.

No lifeguards and no safety rules, BTW.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Where would you go to combine swimming and beach vacation? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grand Cayman islands. First weekend of December there is also half/full marathon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canary Islands, 60 to 70 degrees all day, you can swim, bike, run and ski on top top of enjoying Spanish food, beer and wine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best beaches I've ever seen are on Grace Bay in Providenciales, Turks and Caicos. There are plenty of nice hotels and I'm betting some of them have lap pools. If not, it's a great spot for open water swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is a pool a requirement? If you're going to a dream location, swim in the ocean man! My top suggestion among places I've visited is the Four Seasons Maui. It's directly on the beach and the water there remains pretty calm until afternoon when the winds pick up.

And that Four Seasons is fantastic, over the top nice. One tip is to book the cheapest room and then check on upgrades when you check in. I've been comped an ocean view room; another trip I was able to get one of the huge ocean view suites for big discount.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stay in one those over water bungalows in Tahiti and you can roll out of bed and do laps in the lagoon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turks and Caicos has a swim race “swim for the conch” - as does Bermuda “swim around the sound” maybe you could do a destination swim race? Waikiki rough water race?
Quote Reply
Re: Where would you go to combine swimming and beach vacation? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's gorgeous there, and swimming off that beach is very nice.... but swimming alone my head was on a swivel for tigers.....
Quote Reply
Re: Where would you go to combine swimming and beach vacation? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
The best beaches I've ever seen are on Grace Bay in Providenciales, Turks and Caicos. There are plenty of nice hotels and I'm betting some of them have lap pools. If not, it's a great spot for open water swimming.

This. Did some OWS practice for my first IM at Beaches Resort @ Turks & Caicos back in 2011.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Where would you go to combine swimming and beach vacation? [Tritops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tritops wrote:
Bronte Ocean Pool & Bondi Iceberg Pool is on my bucket list...

Icebergs is fun for novelty but a shit pool to swim in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about that 1 kilometre long pool by the sea in Chile?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't swim in Bali. Pools are filled with tourists and chlorine. The sea is filled with plastic and waste. (I like Bali, but I wouldn't swim there.)

Anywhere in Australia will give you excellent swimming in November.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couples Swept Away, Negril, Jamaica. Beautiful location on 7 mile beach, with a 7 lane, not-quite-25-meters lap pool at the private (resort guests only) health club across the street. It was never crowded; I always had a lane to myself.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Dec 31, 18 23:07
Quote Reply
Re: Where would you go to combine swimming and beach vacation? [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can’t copy that. Been to Denpasar few years ago, actually in sanur. November was hot.
Could swim alongside the beach when flood. Lots of hotel option. From Hilton to whatever. Stayed in respati beach resort, was nice but no lap pool. Maybe check with google maps for lap pool.
Lots of tourists is right though.
Avoid the Kuta side around November other than looking for surfing, swimming prohibited.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for your advice! Yes, a pool is necessary. I will go for OWS when I am in a nice place, but the idea is to have a "swim camp" on my own. Training plan, stroke analysis with a GoPro,... So I'll be training before breakfast and late before dinner, otherwise spend time with my wife.
Quote Reply
Re: Where would you go to combine swimming and beach vacation? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, looks like a great spot. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barbados. Plenty of options and a 25m outdoor pool in downtown st lawrence gap
Quote Reply
Re: Where would you go to combine swimming and beach vacation? [dcohen24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hvar / Split
Quote Reply
Re: Where would you go to combine swimming and beach vacation? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got to second couples
Quote Reply