Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aerobars extension selection criteria?
Quote | Reply
Currently I have PD T2 s-bends. I'm not a huge fan...they aren't very comfortable for the wrists. So, I'm looking for alternatives.

There are about 14,000 different shapes out there... And, I don't really want to buy a bunch to try and then resell. So I'm looking for advice on how to select which extensions I might prefer. With ski bends at various angles, and multi-angle bars like the PD 4525a or the t4, or the 51speedshop ultimate, I'm not really sure which might be more preferable for me or how to figure that out without just blowing money.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 31, 18 9:29
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars extension selection criteria? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to show my bias, but if you can find a bike fitter with a decent selection of extensions, pads, clamps, etc., you would probably be heading in the right direction. I have about a dozen different aerobar extensions in house and we Frankenstein stuff together all the time.

If you happen to be in the Indianapolis area any time soon, look me up and we could experiment with some different options. Like you say, there's a lot to be gained in getting the wrists comfortable.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't go wrong with Zipp Evo 110s or the 51SS ultimate. S-bends suck for comfort and aero.

Tom_hampton wrote:
Currently I have PD T2 s-bends. I'm not a huge fan...they aren't very comfortable for the wrists. So, I'm looking for alternatives.

There are about 14,000 different shapes out there... And, I don't really want to buy a bunch to try and then resell. So I'm looking for advice on how to select which extensions I might prefer. With ski bends at various angles, and multi-angle bars like the PD 4525a or the t4, or the 51speedshop ultimate, I'm not really sure which might be more preferable for me or how to figure that out without just blowing money.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of models, but not really that much variation in shapes.
To explain the PD range -
50a/c is intended for a very straight wrist angle if there is a lot of stack between extension mount and pad. Or to allow a high hands position with non tilting bars
35a/c is intended for for tilting bars - using a high rise extension with bars that can tilt just means you don't have as much contact between elbow and pads. Wrist angle slightly on the tight side of neutral
45/25a/c - again as a high rise bar it's more aimed at fixing non tilting bars. The idea being that you can pull forward to a shrug position on the 25 top section and hold on the bend or on the 45 for a control position. Ideally paired with Di2 to have shifters in both locations.

My personal preference is 45deg with an 80mm rise if actually holding the extensions, so the 35a is pretty good for me.

I expect that we'll see a reduction in the 100mm+ rise extensions in the next few years as most high bars start to offer tilt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Criteria? Depends on how you perceive your bike and what youā€™re trying to accomplish.

If your bike is a tool to help put you in and maintain a good aero TT position, then thereā€™s really only one choice: the ski bend that hits your desired hand stack and reach.

If on the other hand you see the bike as something to ride, and hold it how it tells you to hold it, then by all means get s bend or f bend or straight or whatever you think looks best or is ā€œcomfortableā€.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

There are about 14,000 different shapes out there...

Really? Ski, s bend, straight and some brands have some minor variations. What else is out there?
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars extension selection criteria? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TT bike is definitely a tool for racing. My A races are OD and I do the occasional sprint for fun. I generally finish near or on the podium in the races I've done. So goal is maximum performance in those races.

I have a road bike for "fun" and looking cool šŸ˜Ž.

I don't know why I didn't consider going to a fitter. My tt bike was fit by Trent nix here in plano last fall. Travis makes a good point.
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars extension selection criteria? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

There are about 14,000 different shapes out there...

Really? Ski, s bend, straight and some brands have some minor variations. What else is out there?

And really, there can be only one.... ski bend.

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Trent gets what Iā€™m saying and it would be a good idea to address this with your fitter.

Iā€™d argue though that your TT bike is *not* a tool for racing.... thatā€™s what *you* are for.

Iā€™m actually the bike is a tool to hold you a certain way, hopefully comfortable powerful and aerodynamic.

This distinction is important. It affects what equipment choices you make and how you mold your machine to your body and vice versa.

Last edited by: ericMPro: Dec 31, 18 11:48
Quote Reply
Re: Aerobars extension selection criteria? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed
Quote Reply