Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Home espresso machine recommendations?? [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Count me on Team Bialetti Moka. I've had very few home espressos that I thought were better - possibly none - and many that were worse. So I'm just not willing to go down the rabbit hole and wind up with something that won't be an improvement. I'd also put it above a significant portion of espressos I've gotten at artisan/boutique espresso places. And I know how to do it when just waking up.

Any tips for good results from a Bialetti? I have one but have found the coffee / espresso to be pretty bitter. I use fresh beans that are finely ground.

My favorite way to make coffee is an Aeropress, followed closely by a French press.

But for espresso, I use a super-automatic because it’s just so convenient.
Quote Reply
Re: Home espresso machine recommendations?? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:

Any tips for good results from a Bialetti? I have one but have found the coffee / espresso to be pretty bitter.

I drink my espresso with sugar. Might not be the answer you want to hear. But I expect a certain level of bitterness. As long as my coffee is relatively fresh I like it. It's when the beans get old that it becomes unpleasant for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My favorite way to make coffee is an Aeropress, followed closely by a French press.

I'm a French Press guy. Super simple and cheap. I also love that it takes no counter space throughout the day (i.e. it's in the cabinet). Every once in awhile I think about a fancy machine for espressos, lattes, cappuccinos, etc. but can't get over the cost and counter space issues.

Plus, I've got several quality coffee shops within a 5-10 min bike ride from the house that are not Starbucks (plenty of those as well) if I want something more complicated/fancy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree with what you said.

My original plan was for a breville barista. However, I happen to find a gaggia titanium super cheap on craigslist. Love the ease of use. Great for it everything but espresso, but serviceable.

I use my aeropress the most, followed by clever dripper then my gaggia. I also have Rok, which is okay (better espresso than gaggia but can't get good crema). I'll just go to my local cafe if I want a good espresso.
Quote Reply
Re: Home espresso machine recommendations?? [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an a Europen alternative to the Breville, you can check the De'Longhi ESAM3300.

-
[pink]I don’t use pink font[/pink]
Quote Reply
Re: Home espresso machine recommendations?? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:

I'm a French Press guy. Super simple and cheap. I also love that it takes no counter space throughout the day (i.e. it's in the cabinet). Every once in awhile I think about a fancy machine for espressos, lattes, cappuccinos, etc. but can't get over the cost and counter space issues.

Plus, I've got several quality coffee shops within a 5-10 min bike ride from the house that are not Starbucks (plenty of those as well) if I want something more complicated/fancy.

In case you aren’t familiar with it, the Aeropress is a variation of the French press, except that it has a tiny paper filter that removes the sludge that can sometimes show up with a French press. The Aeropress is great for travel because it’s plastic.
Quote Reply
Re: Home espresso machine recommendations?? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an old school Saeco Aroma manual model that I was given. Used to sell them when I was in the restaurant industry,way back in the day. The system is a basic single circuit with a circuit breaker to operate the foamer. Pretty much the same as they made decades ago. Unlike newer models, it will never die.

Also have a small stove-top Bialetti that my late sister had for many, many years. I take it on my overnight motorcycle tours for around the campfire. I have a French press travel mug for my morning coffees on those rides, but at night it’s a nice after dinner ritual to end the day...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bialetti: Make sure it's the Brikka (with the weight valve, though for 2020 they introduced a fancy valve). By far the best moka pot in my opinion.

Fill only to the indicated water level (the top functions as a fill indicator for the reservoir), I like to use warm (yet not boiling) water. Overfill and you'll get a bitter mess.

For a moka pot, you want a relatively coarse grind. Not quite French Press, but nowhere near Espresso fine. Fill the filter, knock to even things out but do not tamp. #1 mistake people make with the Brikka is tamping, and #2 is too fine a grind.

I find the Brikka to produce far more nuanced coffee than regular moka pots. I personally prefer my coffee more roast-forwards and bitter, so I dial it in with bean choice - but with the method above and the correct beans, you can dial back the bitterness.

(that being said, while I'm enjoying mine I'm looking forward to the day my budget allows a proper espresso machine. Completely different drinks)

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Home espresso machine recommendations?? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
jakemet85 wrote:
Looking for any recommendations on a home espresso machine....

Anybody have any experience with a certain one they love or hate???

Thanks

I don't quite get the hate for Breville, but it seems like their popularity / mass market has created some backlash. I've had a few different versions of Breville units:

The basic Cafe Roma got me started, but really didn't produce the quality of shot that I was looking for.

The Breville Barista Express was a nice step up. The integrated grinder was a nice feature for me. The pressure gauge was really helpful for me to learn how to tamp.

I now have the Breville Oracle and can't be happier with it. Like the ads say, it really does a great job of combing the features of a semi-automatic and automatic espresso machine.

One thing that you will hear over and over again. Get fresh roasted beans. It took me a while to come to grips with the fact that you just can't expect to get good espresso-worthy beans from the grocery store aisles. I have found a company here in Toronto, that ships beans to me the day after they are roasted (I wait until day 5 to start using them). The crema and flavour is noticeably better when the beans are 'ripe'.

Nice theme and answers. Hey, agree with that! Breville makes like many others from decent brands are good enough. But the fresh water, high-quality beans and good morning's mood makes the difference!
Last edited by: Frank223: Apr 27, 21 21:16
Quote Reply

Prev Next