Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike aid station strategy - help me not to be That Guy
Quote | Reply
I don't want to be the guy who gets in everyone's way by stopping at the aid station or is just all over the place as I try to get my nutrition.
I've done 4 Ironman races and have always lived on the course as my stomach does well with a Gatorade refill at every aid station in my BTA Torpedo. Here's the catch, I tore my left tricep and had it repaired last May. I have enough strength to ride but don't feel stable enough to control the bike with just my left arm while grabbing bottles and refilling the Torpedo. I also lack the talent to control the tribike in an aid station without hands. These are the options I'm considering:
  • Ride with two full bottles and just stop at every other aid station to get a full bottle to place behind the seat and fill my Torpedo. Obviously this will slow me down but in reality probably a 4 minute time loss at most is my guess.
  • Attempt to do the old way by slowing waay down in the aid station and control the bike with my right arm and reach across with my left arm to grab a bottle at every aid station. This worries me to be able to reach across my body and not lose control.
  • Add another holder in the triangle, thus carrying three full bottles and stop once at special needs thus bypassing the aid stations, though I would be a little short on fluid in this scenario for what I usually consume (2 bottles per hour for my 5-5.5 hour ride)
  • Another option that I'm missing?

Thanks for any input.
Quote Reply