Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Very Slick: 2-in-1 Deep Rear and Disc Wheel
Quote | Reply
It's called the "Revolver Kameleon." I'm tempted to pick one up to see how well it works.

Last edited by: GreenPlease: Dec 30, 18 7:28
Quote Reply
Re: Very Slick: 2-in-1 Deep Rear and Disc Wheel [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little hard to tell, are those magnets between the covers or some type of locking and/or sticky mechanism? Looks like they would be pretty heavy regardless but it does look incredible.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's still the faffing around with the cassette though. Don't think it's much faster (*) than a Wheelbuilder cover.

Don't know about aeroness.

(*) Edit: faster to install/remove

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Last edited by: Richard Blaine: Dec 30, 18 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: Very Slick: 2-in-1 Deep Rear and Disc Wheel [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their site says they're Velcro, with weights reported to come in at 1040,1370 (deep/disc). So on the heavy side, but consistent with a wheelbuilder cover.

At that price point, you could snag a HED Jet+9 and disc. Does look pretty slick, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Very Slick: 2-in-1 Deep Rear and Disc Wheel [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
A little hard to tell, are those magnets between the covers or some type of locking and/or sticky mechanism? Looks like they would be pretty heavy regardless but it does look incredible.

Velcro
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't Catalyst try to crowdfund something really similar a couple of years ago?
Quote Reply
Re: Very Slick: 2-in-1 Deep Rear and Disc Wheel [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They were trying to crowd fund an entire wheel system. Also, they were using magnets instead of Velcro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a cool idea and always nice to see something different. I can electrical tape a Wheelbuilder cover on in the same amount of time though. Never had one budge or get loose.
Quote Reply
Re: Very Slick: 2-in-1 Deep Rear and Disc Wheel [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
It's a cool idea and always nice to see something different. I can electrical tape a Wheelbuilder cover on in the same amount of time though. Never had one budge or get loose.

On that super hot day at Chatty a few years ago the wife's Catalyst cover came halfway off, with 3M Super33+ tape. We just bit the bullet and bought her a Hed disc.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, that's an impressive wheel, and a great execution of the idea.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Dec 30, 18 15:07
Quote Reply
Re: Very Slick: 2-in-1 Deep Rear and Disc Wheel [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
dangle wrote:
We just bit the bullet and bought her a Hed disc.

Exactly. Why the need for a wheel that comes apart? Just use a proper disc?? What have I missed?

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Very Slick: 2-in-1 Deep Rear and Disc Wheel [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
Exactly. Why the need for a wheel that comes apart? Just use a proper disc?? What have I missed?
'

Well, a Jet Disc on sale is still ~10x the price of an Aerojacket. That doesn't mean that the price difference is untenable (it's what, about the delta between a P2 and P3 and people opt for the P3 all the time), but it's there and is money not going to other things, tri-related or not.

The other thing is a set of Jet 5s with a cover uses the same valve stem length front and rear, so you don't need to worry about having the right tubes on hand or getting two flats of the same wheel. The Catalyst cover is also flexy enough (and cheap enough) that we cut it out just a hair more and were able to fit the normal pump head on it, so no need to carry and fiddle with a crack pipe in the dark, cold morning in transition. Still, my skin crawls at the thought of the tape or cover having not just been draggy for her but actually getting caught in her drivetrain and causing a crash. It's worth it.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Very Slick: 2-in-1 Deep Rear and Disc Wheel [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is also the fact that some races aren't disc legal and not everyone has enough spare funds for both a disc along with a deep dish rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello GreenPlease and All,

I would like to see an inexpensive kit with the velcro connectors to quickly and securely attach a regular Wheelbuilder disk cover to any wheel.

and maybe smaller futuristic disk covers with tiny flexible vanes to unload the disk when used on the front wheel in gusty conditions.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was a really well thought out response addressing both sides of things. I'm sorry to see in your earlier post that a cover came off in hot weather and I'm glad your wife stayed safe.

While I advocate for disc covers for many people, I also ended up with a lightly used Powertap HED Jet+ disc (thanks to another STer). Having one valve length and being able to cut out a little extra and use a regular pump are solid perks to using a disc cover. I miss that. The price difference is easily the biggest one. A Jet+ 6 set and Aerojacket (constantly on sale for $70) can be had for right about the same price as the disc alone and used every day. My disc was ridden outside 3x this year. Pretty lame in dollars per use. It's being used on my trainer right now to take advantage of the Powertap and keep the crank PM on a CX bike. Kinda silly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
Still, my skin crawls at the thought of the tape or cover having not just been draggy for her but actually getting caught in her drivetrain and causing a crash. It's worth it.

Happened to my wife last month. It's been a solid few years with disc covers, but that was one too many incidents - I'm getting her a "real" disc now.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
realbdeal wrote:

Velcro

Too funny...I've got an old DIY cover I made out of corrugated plastic sign-board that holds the NDS on with "stacks" of small squares of industrial strength Velcro...guess I was ahead of my time ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Very Slick: 2-in-1 Deep Rear and Disc Wheel [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
There is also the fact that some races aren't disc legal and not everyone has enough spare funds for both a disc along with a deep dish rear.

There’s also the question of logistics while traveling. If you can only bring two wheels with you it’s nice to have the option for the rear to be both a disc and a deep section wheel in the event discs are randomly banned on race morning. It’s happened to me twice fwiw.
Quote Reply