Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How far have you bought ahead? 1-3 years or by another measure?
Quote | Reply
Feeling like an idiot at times because I must have enough swim, bike and run gear to last me beyond 3 years. Anyone else?

I hate to pay too much for something so when the price is right, I buy extras to have on hand, like handlebar tape.

Do I really need more than a dozen tires and two dozen tubes on hand plus two tubeless tires? Five wheelsets? Two bikes are pretty standard. Keeping the mechanical Ultegra in case? Seven Kiwami outfits, four bike shorts, six jerseys and appropriate over/under gear, etc. Yet, I'm thinking about buying some extra bars, in case???

Three pair of Hokas: yet, I only run 3-6 miles a day.

Several swim briefs, googles, twenty swim caps, etc. new and waiting in the top drawers along with some rarely used swim toys.

Do I need to think more about this, or within in this peer group, is this normal?

How about you?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: How far have you bought ahead? 1-3 years or by another measure? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have plenty of tubes and gas cylinders, and enough clothes to only have to usually wash workout clothes once a week. Other than that, nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: How far have you bought ahead? 1-3 years or by another measure? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sound pretty understated to me.
I stash workout clothes in special areas (university, work, home, parents house, ex wife's house) it's hard to keep track. I keep a spare bike in the UK along with old shoes and a helmet. Spare run shoes too. Other stuff is easy to carry.
Over time the stuff accumulates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've bought lots of cycling things five years ahead. And I bought pedals with the intention that they'd possibly last for decades, and I think I was using some I'd bought 8 or more years previously. I was on that system for 15 years in total.

I eventually switched to another pedal system in part due to the difficulty finding shoes that would fit the pedals I liked. Had to ebay my remaining stock.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to be pretty well stocked but have since worked down to the basics and a minimum amount. I figure I can get just about anything at a reasonable price in 2 days via Amazon. I do stock up a bit on some consumables shortly before a cycle tour and then just work that supply down to the basics over time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only stock up on tubes and CO2 simply because they are usually much cheaper when bought in bulk. Other than that, I just keep the minimum on hand. As someone else stated, amazon prime will have it at my door in a couple days time if need be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably have enough tires for 2 years. That's for 3 bikes, tri, road and MTB. It really depends on at what rate I tear up tires. Last year I think I tore up 3 rear tires that only had 100 miles on them :(

I have race shoes for 2 years, I buy every day shoes as I need them. Currently looking for a sale on Mizuno Riders.

I normally buy 4 pairs of tri shorts a year, I have 4 really good race suits, jerseys are bought when I see something I like.

I buy swim suits as needed, normally grab bag from swim outlet and they'll last 6 to 12 months. I buy a few pairs of Sweds when I need a new suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My LBS just closed. They had a going out of business sale. I stocked up on all kinds of consumables.. tires , tubes, CO2, brake pads , cleaning supplies ...

It was a very sad day ... but I figure for the next 3 years I’m set and won’t be forking over cash to Amazon. I’m trying to cut down on my Amazon impulse purchases this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spare drivertrain (chains + chainrings + casette) for the mtb.
Spare jockey wheels for it too.
Usually have to swap out about every year ish (chains swapped more than that to eek out the cassette)

Couple of spare chains for the road and TT bike (different size to mtb).

Brake pads x many for mtb (its gritty and wet where i ride).

Several goggles after Zoggs ruined the Predator Flex by making unnecessary design changes (got several old design ones cheap to keep me going 2-3 years)

Oh.. and I have a shedload of spare 26" mtb tyres... as the barstewards in the bike industry have made them non compatible with any new mtb. Anyone want some ?
Maybe I'll have the last laugh when 26" becomes the new 29" in 5 years ?? (Smaller...lighter...nimbler...rad-er)
Quote Reply