Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The subscription economy in triathlon [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a finance option for our bikes. About 12% of our customers use the option.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: The subscription economy in triathlon [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think financing gets an undeserved rap about it being only for people who cannot really afford the product, but it can be a smart cash flow management tool. Especially if you can put the money somewhere it might earn a larger return than the interest rate you are paying on the loan.

Edit- it can also allow people to get in over their heads of course... But that's not the purpose of it!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Jan 2, 19 9:37
Quote Reply
Re: The subscription economy in triathlon [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a very interesting topic. I am new to Tri's, especially the longer distance events. I am a runner still trying to learn the bike and swim disciplines good enough to be competitive.

The commonality of the topic for me comes from when I raced sports cars 9-12 years ago. I started out in an "arrive and drive series". We would show up at the track and each driver would draw a number for a race car (each car setup identically). Each car was as close as the series could make them mechanically & horsepower wise. We, the drivers, all had various frustration levels when our cars may have been off slightly from our fellow competitors (and was also a great sources of excuse making by drivers that were getting out driven).

I then moved into a different series and bought my own race car. The logistics of getting to the event, the maintenance, needed support etc. is very similar to a longer event tri and dealing with a tri bike, needed equipment and the coordination.

In retrospect, every driver that I am still in contact realizes what a great deal it was to write one check and "show up and race". The series was a pretty high level from an amateur standpoint with a number of driver's that had the financial resources moving on to run in professional series (including Patrick Dempsey).

I would be very interested in eliminating much the logistical issues of traveling to events and showing up "ready to race".

Again, I am new to the support but I thought Quintana Roo offered tri bike rentals at the events?
Quote Reply
Re: The subscription economy in triathlon [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I see. You mean that "bricking" the trainer would be method by which to enforce payment on the hardware that you are "leasing"?

Sbernardi wrote:
I think you misunderstood. This would be instead of a purchase. You make monthly payments and get to upgrade every xxx

Interval Design Studio
YouTube | SoundCloud
Quote Reply
Re: The subscription economy in triathlon [fstrnu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly.
Quote Reply
Re: The subscription economy in triathlon [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
It’s a little off topic, but what is happening in the ski industry is kind of interesting.

Two big conglomerates/consortiums led by Vail and Alterra (Ikon) have created single price season passes. These are good at all of the resorts in the particular group, either on an unlimited or very flexible basis. I have an Ikon Pass and will ski 20+ days this year, ranging from my local East Coast mountains to a couple trips out West to top notch resorts. Total cost to me was $800 back in May.

Ski companies benefit because although they lose some per day fees, they lock you into doing business with their properties, causing you to rent condos, book lessons, apres ski, etc. at their properties. They also get paid up front, and lose weather as a major variable to the attendance numbers.

Could WTC do something like this? With their growing portfolio of RnR and other non-IM events, could they get a bunch of people to spend $1500 per year, knowing it would get you access to a couple full IMs, a couple 70.3s, and whatever else you want to sprinkle in (a RnR 13.1, a 5150, etc.)?

Sort of like with how Alterra aligns with companies outside their ownership, maybe WTC could partner with some other sprint/Oly producers to help cross-pollinate their races. Call it the $1500 endurance season pass.

Probably not realistic, but just a thought.

This is something tri feds should do sell flat rate race entry for the year where a fixed fee allows you to do up to up to 6 pas a 25% percent discount up to 8 races 3o percent 12 races 40% somewhere
( those people get 1 shirt and 1 back pack a year but not for individual race)

This would work very well for races that don't sell out and gives organisers planning safety as those tickets have to be bought let's say latest by end of January for the year.
Quote Reply

Prev Next