Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Orleans w/ kids over New Year's holiday?
Quote | Reply
Thinking about taking an impromptu road trip to New Orleans over the New Year's holiday with the family (wife, kids 8 and 6 yo). I know NO is crazy all the time, but is it too crazy over New Year's for kids? Not really even that concerned with actual New Year's eve / countdown festivities, would really just want eat good food, check out cool stuff, music, drinks, etc... I have some friends going and we were given tickets to the Sugar Bowl which is what prompted the idea... So...

New Orleans over New Year's with kids, bad idea? Safe?
Will crowds, traffic, waits, etc... be such a mess that it won't be worth it?
Any recommendations for places to stay, things to do, etc... greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans w/ kids over New Year's holiday? [hullcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This time last year we were heading to NOLA. Of course my kids were 22 and 20. We went to the WWII museum (hint, don't go on a cold rainy day as it will be terribly crowded). We went to the zoo, aquarium and walked some cemeteries and the garden district. We went to the square in the French Quarter where the artists and musicians hang out.

We had a really good time and look forward to going back some time. The food was excellent.

We stayed about 15 minutes away in an AirBnb house and would do that again as it was quiet and roomy and more economical than a hotel near the French Quarter.

Five years ago I would have ignorantly advised you to stay away. Now, I say to go for it, but maybe end your day in time to be out of the area before nightfall.

Be sure to look up Parkway Bakery, Ruby Slipper, Cochon Butcher/Bakery, Cafe Dumond and Cajun Seafood. Yummmm!!!!
Quote Reply