Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Endurox R4 "Tangy Orange" Isn't Tangy And It's Not Orange
Quote | Reply
I tried out this recovery drink mentioned in some of the Tri literature, Endurox R4. The taste reminds me of the remnants of water and bile which come up your throat after a long night of cheap wine drinkin, a cruel sort of milky, acidic, bitter substance, which could probably start and run cars or go carts.

I was out looking for glutamine at Drug Emporium because the power lifters told me to try glutamine to prevent soreness after long runs. I'm tired of taking pills. Take too many of them already, what with the glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM horse pills, and advils. I'm pill maxed. So, here's this Endurox R4, staring at me. Hey, I've read about this one. Looks good.

With as many company people who pop up on here every now and then, maybe one of them, works for Endurox, could take a tip: hey, let's add some damned sugar. Everybody has got to bitch about sugar now. Take it out of things. Even take out the sugar substitutes. Sometimes, a little bit helps. All I want to be able to is swallow this stuff. We are healthy. I can take it.

Maybe grape is better for Endurox.
Quote Reply
Re: Endurox R4 "Tangy Orange" Isn't Tangy And It's Not Orange [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny- I've always thought the tangy orange is the best flavor of the bunch. Some of the other flavors literally make me gag and I can't get more than one or two sips down, but the orange has sort of grown on me and tastes like Tang. It does, however, take a bit of getting used to.
Quote Reply
Re: Endurox R4 "Tangy Orange" Isn't Tangy And It's Not Orange [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree the orange taste like crap - only thing worse is if you let it get even a little bit warm - nothing worse than drinking warm poo.

I actually thought the other flavor was better, not quite poop flavor, no a bit better more like rotten fruit flavor.

only advice is to drink it as cold a possible

http://www.clevetriclub.com

rob reddy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel you, I bought this stuff after reading all these great things about it and I can rarely force myself to choke it down. It has to be SUPER cold (which sort of eliminates the benefit of having a powdered recovery food: portability). The coldeness makes it taste better but does nothing for it's flemlike quality.

I think it's because of the protein, which is colloidal and nasty tasing by nature.

Ugh. I'd rather have a peanut butter sandwich....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I first tried the fruit punch flavor. As a self professed fruit punch connoiseur, that stuff aint close to fruit punch. I mean...it makes me want to vomit. Now, when I sipped on the tangy orange...oh yeah baby. Mmm...mmm...good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny how personal taste is. I also dislike the orange and fruit punch, but I like the lemon lime. In fact, I buy it by the big gallons on sale from Performance. The stuff really works for me, too. Almost never have sore muscles, and I bounce back from heavy volumes far better than without it. I use it 6 or 7 days a week, religiously after my workouts, and look forward to the tasty reward for effort. I recommend it if you can find a suitable flavor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have used endurox r4 for a few years. didn't like 'tangy orange' either. 'fruit pouch' is much better. taste like vanilla milk shake. :)
Last edited by: phidippides: Jan 23, 04 21:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird as I LOVE Endurox and swear by it. Hammer Gel / Perpetuem on the other hand....

Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found that you're either a fruit punch guy or a tangy orange guy. I absolutely love the orange. I can sit and drink it any time, even when not using it for recovery. Fruit punch is disgusting to me and I don't think the lemon lime is much better.

Did you say they have grape now?

BTW, I think it's quite tangy.
Last edited by: jaylew: Jan 23, 04 23:35
Quote Reply
Re: Endurox R4 "Tangy Orange" Isn't Tangy And It's Not Orange [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is an awesome thread, seeing as how I'm an R4 junkie. I first became aware of Endurox because it was the pink stuff in the bottle of one of my cycling buddies. Every week, just before he'd ripped us to shreds on the trail, we'd give him crap about his fruffy pink drink.

That said, I now swear by it as well, but I have made a few observations. First, I agree with Jay, most people like one flavor only. Second, they changed the flavor a year or so ago. It's subtle, but it's noticable. It's not as good. Third, the orange tastes like a creamsicle, if it tastes like anything.

Now here's the kicker: I also drink Accelerade, and I only like the orange Accelerade, even though I only like the Fruit Punch Endurox. The flavors of the products taste totally different, even though they are essentially the same thing in different concentrations. It makes no sense to me.

For mid-ride fuel and recovery, however, I haven't found anything better.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Endurox R4 "Tangy Orange" Isn't Tangy And It's Not Orange [SAMOK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Weird as I LOVE Endurox and swear by it. Hammer Gel / Perpetuem on the other hand....<<

Me too. Love orange Endurox. but Perpetuem and Sustained Energy make me spew.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Endurox Mixing [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting thread since I don't really care for the flavor, but at least it doesn't make me gag like some of you.

I have a much simpler problem with Endurox R4 -- I cannot get it to mix up and have the powder actually stay in solution. The powder always settles out to the bottom of the glass or bottle and I have to constantly stir/shake it up before every drink. And I'm using less than the recommended amount of powder.

Am I the only person with this problem? Did I just get a reject batch of this stuff??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Energy foods are a funny thing with taste. I couldn't stand the orange flavor endurox but have grown to crave fruit punch after a hard workout. The thing is that I mix it with a little fruit punch gatorade and water. While it changes the carb/protein ratio a little, but makes it taste much more yummy. mmmmmmy it is goooody.

I use a milkshake mixer, which works pretty well for getting the powder into solution. Still leaves some sediment at the bottom, but that's just the sweet and fruity reward.

Sort reminds me of the old school dehydrated food we had on boy scout hikes. When not mixed well you'd discover the odd flavor chunk -- little balls of intense powdered flavor.

-Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't like the Orange or Fruit Punch but really like the taste of the Lemon Lime. Maybe the lemon flavour goes better with the acidity of the drink?
Quote Reply
Re: Endurox R4 "Tangy Orange" Isn't Tangy And It's Not Orange [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Now here's the kicker: I also drink Accelerade, and I only like the orange Accelerade, even though I only like the Fruit Punch Endurox. The flavors of the products taste totally different, even though they are essentially the same thing in different concentrations. It makes no sense to me. I've wondered about the same thing. I expected orange Accelerade to taste similar to orange Endurox, but it's completely different. I can't say that I'm really a big fan of any of the Accelerade flavors.

Quote Reply
Re: Endurox Mixing [Du U Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can get it to dissolve pretty well if you mix it with tepid-warm water and shake it up very well. Unfortunately, you're typically using cold water when you mix your drink, and that makes it much more difficult to dissolve the stuff.

Try this. Mix it up with about 2/3 bottle tepid water. You just have to keep shaking and shaking. Then, when it's all dissolved, add a bunch of ice. It should stay in solution. I do this the night before a race and the next morning it's still dissolved, and much less gritty than when mixed with cold water.

Quote Reply
Re: Endurox Mixing [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Mix it up with about 2/3 bottle tepid water.<<

Way too hard. I add about 1/4 bottle of very warm water. Shake like hell, then add cold water from the refrigerator. You get foam at the top, but just pour that off. No problem.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Endurox Mixing [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll try that next time. Thanks for the tip.

I guess it's more like hot cocoa than Cool Aid. Must be the whey.

Quote Reply
Re: Endurox Mixing [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Way too hard. I add about 1/4 bottle of very warm water. Shake like hell,

Even that's way too hard. I just fill my bottle from the water fountain, shake like hell for a few seconds, then tip it upside down and wait a few seconds before I start drinking. Any undissolved particles settle toward the nozzle so the first gulp gets all the grit and it's clear sailing from there :-)
Quote Reply