Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to treat Alpine Skiing?
Quote | Reply
Downhill skiing started in Maine in mid-October this year and I've skied at least once a weekend anywhere from 4-6 hours. I don't consider skiing quality exercise but my question is how should it be considered? With the exception of Christmas day, I haven't taken a day off from running, biking and skiing since October. I simply have skied on what would have been complete rest days. Not sure if this is good or bad.

I don't have any races before April so I'm not worried about fitness gains but hope to avoid injury and holiday weight gain. I typically exercise 60-90 minutes a day on week days and 2-4 hours on one weekend day and take the other day off as rest. I'm now skiing on what would have been a typical rest day.
Quote Reply
Re: How to treat Alpine Skiing? [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Treat it the same way you would strength training. Downhill skiing does work the quads and the core.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: How to treat Alpine Skiing? [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
audiojan wrote:
Treat it the same way you would strength training. Downhill skiing does work the quads and the core.

That’s what I do. A full day of hard skiing is a great leg day.

Edited to add that downhill skiing is significantly more fun than any leg day in the gym.

Formerly DrD
Last edited by: Broken Leg Guy: Dec 27, 18 14:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Treat it as fun.

Not everything has to be quantified. The Tri Gods will forgive you for actually enjoying yourself.
You could be swimming, but where's the fun in that?
Quote Reply
Re: How to treat Alpine Skiing? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I do with snowboarding.
Quote Reply
Re: How to treat Alpine Skiing? [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stillrollin wrote:
Treat it as fun.

Not everything has to be quantified. The Tri Gods will forgive you for actually enjoying yourself.
You could be swimming, but where's the fun in that?

exactly this. y'all quit worrying about tracking everything and enjoy stuff from time-to-time.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Treat it as awesome!! I got into tri to cross-train for winter sports (ski/snowboard). If I could ski everyday I'd be done with triathlon tomorrow...there's a reason there are ski-bums and not 'tri-bums.' I'd probably sell a kidney right now for a week of heli-skiing in BC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skiing is a great workout and cross training. I think Daniela Ryf did a lot of alpine skiing two years ago and reported that it helps with the cycling legs.

It depends on your skill level tough. You could just be sliding down the hill very passively. Then you have some activity and a lot of fresh air and fun.

But you could also ski down and play with speed and turns and actively accelerate out of every turn. That way you are basically doing a squat every time you turn and the faster you go the more force you need to manage. When I was doing alpine races as a kid we were breathing very heavy at the finish.

Enjoy it, skiing is a beautiful sport!

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harry wrote:
Downhill skiing started in Maine in mid-October this year and I've skied at least once a weekend anywhere from 4-6 hours. I don't consider skiing quality exercise but my question is how should it be considered? With the exception of Christmas day, I haven't taken a day off from running, biking and skiing since October. I simply have skied on what would have been complete rest days. Not sure if this is good or bad.

I don't have any races before April so I'm not worried about fitness gains but hope to avoid injury and holiday weight gain. I typically exercise 60-90 minutes a day on week days and 2-4 hours on one weekend day and take the other day off as rest. I'm now skiing on what would have been a typical rest day.

Just skid the bottom arc of every turn and you'll get a decent workout. Hint: don't do that if eastern boiler plate is present. Enjoy!
Quote Reply