Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It probably is their policy outside of swim practices... Masters or otherwise. The pool I swim at puts big orange cones on the blocks to keep lap swimmers and otherwise from diving.
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of people are diving and doing cannonballs by the account of the OP. The rule may as well not exist, or minimally its not cut and dry anymore if the people running the pool allow for it to happen
---
Yeah, but highly unlikely from the blocks. Jumping and diving in the 'deep' end is typically allowed from the deck in most pools.

Even if this is a rule, this woman has no place enforcing it.
---
Um, as per the OP, it sounds like the instructor wasn't enforcing anything. In fact, quite the opposite. She was sending a message to let him know of a situation BEFORE he got reprimanded. I don't know about your pool or the OP's, but in most pools I frequent, the Active Older Adults have a lot more power over pool management than pretty much everyone else. The OP should be grateful that he got contacted by the instructor before he got completely kicked out.

The woman stalking him on instagram is borderline creepy.
---
1. Facebook Messenger. 2. Are you not familiar with how the world works these days? I'd agree with you if it were something like Tinder...

No one from management has told the OP he cannot dive any more or any less than other users
---
YES. That's the point! The instructor was sending a friendly message letting the OP know that the natives are restless and getting ready to go on the war path. Now he's aware and can adapt before a battle breaks out.

I'd personally keep diving, being respectful and away from others until a management discussion happens.
---
Let me rephrase this: I'd personally keep breaking the rules, even though I was politely informed of them via signage and conversation, regardless of how the other people in the pool react to my behavior, until I get removed for violations and unsafe practices. Then, I'll probably come to ST and complain about the injustices of the pool management for kicking me out for doing something that I've been doing for quite some time with 'no problems'.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having slept on it here are my thoughts.

1. If I had done something at the pool that bothered people, stop me right there and let's talk about it and I change my behavior
  2. If you don't stop me and go to management I'd like to hear about it "RIGHT THEN" so I can change my behaviour (recency effect for those that studied psychology).
  3. If I hear about it days later from management I want to know the exact details so I can fix it. I'll be pissed that you took so long because along the way I may have kept doing it
  4. If you stalk me on social media, and tell me to stop, its going to encourage me to just keep doing it, because you're bothering me on my personal time
  5. If I am speeding 120 in a 100 zone and I was driving safely and not bothering anyone on an open road, and a non cop tells me to stop speeding, I'll tell them to go away and mind their own business.

I think most people are reasonable and if ask them to stop doing something and do it properly they will. Especially when they are doing something that is completely solo that no one is affected by. In any case, I don' even dive off the blocks in a swim meet, so I don't have an skin in the diving fight at this pool or any (for the record we are allowed to dive off blocks during lane swim at my pool provided it is done with care).

Why I jumped in support of the OP is how this was done on the backchannel. If it was done on the pool deck right there the story would have ended in my mind...."See that sign...please stop diving". OP "I see the sign, but there are other people doing the same, why me ONLY", "Because my clients are complaining about YOU". "OK, I will save my diving with others so it does not affect your clients...everyone happy?". Then the answer is "Yes, no problem let's peacefully co exist" or the answer is , "NO, you can't dive now or any time, see that SIGN I am reporting you to management". Then OP answers, "OK, let's just go have that discussion and get the law enforced on everyone and call it done".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked at it as the instructor was busy at the time the OP was in the pool instructing her class. The window of opportunity for the instructor to talk to someone who wasn't in her class wasn't that large. The OP likely left before the class ended and the chance for such a conversation was limited.

I've been on the receiving end of this from the Wife and other womens who happened to be in the locker room at the same time as the water aerobics people. They've relayed complaints about that guy doing flip turns and getting them wet. Stuff like that. The only main difference I see is that the OP was actually breaking a rule. So, instead of confrontation, it sounds like the instructor may have 'known' this guy from different circles and went out of her way to give a friendly heads-up. "Psst- just to let you know, some of the other people were complaining..." There was no reprimanding. No need to involve management. No consequences. Only an FYI. If I was the OP, I'd be gracious because I'm aware of a valid complaint and can change behavior before consequences or reprimanding are invoked. I see it as an act of kindness, which it seems like you and the OP took in a far different light.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or, you could just take the suggestion not as an invasion of your personal time (all of my time outside of work is “personal time”) but as a friendly reminder.

The other person might not have been aware of complaints from her class at that moment, so followed up after the fact. She might not want to confront face to face, not knowing how the op would react. They may not want to get in an argument then and there. They simply may not have the time to take away from their class. If you’ve ever actually watched an aquacize class, the instructors are generally engaged with the class for the entire class, not just during breaks.

devashish_paul wrote:
Having slept on it here are my thoughts.

1. If I had done something at the pool that bothered people, stop me right there and let's talk about it and I change my behavior
  2. If you don't stop me and go to management I'd like to hear about it "RIGHT THEN" so I can change my behaviour (recency effect for those that studied psychology).
  3. If I hear about it days later from management I want to know the exact details so I can fix it. I'll be pissed that you took so long because along the way I may have kept doing it
  4. If you stalk me on social media, and tell me to stop, its going to encourage me to just keep doing it, because you're bothering me on my personal time
  5. If I am speeding 120 in a 100 zone and I was driving safely and not bothering anyone on an open road, and a non cop tells me to stop speeding, I'll tell them to go away and mind their own business.

I think most people are reasonable and if ask them to stop doing something and do it properly they will. Especially when they are doing something that is completely solo that no one is affected by. In any case, I don' even dive off the blocks in a swim meet, so I don't have an skin in the diving fight at this pool or any (for the record we are allowed to dive off blocks during lane swim at my pool provided it is done with care).

Why I jumped in support of the OP is how this was done on the backchannel. If it was done on the pool deck right there the story would have ended in my mind...."See that sign...please stop diving". OP "I see the sign, but there are other people doing the same, why me ONLY", "Because my clients are complaining about YOU". "OK, I will save my diving with others so it does not affect your clients...everyone happy?". Then the answer is "Yes, no problem let's peacefully co exist" or the answer is , "NO, you can't dive now or any time, see that SIGN I am reporting you to management". Then OP answers, "OK, let's just go have that discussion and get the law enforced on everyone and call it done".

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Or, you could just take the suggestion not as an invasion of your personal time (all of my time outside of work is “personal time”) but as a friendly reminder.

The other person might not have been aware of complaints from her class at that moment, so followed up after the fact. She might not want to confront face to face, not knowing how the op would react. They may not want to get in an argument then and there. They simply may not have the time to take away from their class. If you’ve ever actually watched an aquacize class, the instructors are generally engaged with the class for the entire class, not just during breaks.

Agreed.

The only weird part about this whole thing is the Facebook message. That's it. OP knew he was in the wrong, didn't understand why, but hopefully now he does. We've all learned something.

The Facebook part depends on the instructor. I see 2 possibilities, but we'll never know the truth:

1) If she's younger, contacting someone on social media is no big deal. Although if she's on FB she probably isn't that young.
2) Reaching out via FB could be seen as a kindler, gentler response especially if you have friends in common (which she used to find OP). Instead of confronting you to your face and you being potentially embarrassed by it, she's reaching out in a way that lets you save face. Nothing is mentioned in person but you know the issue and change your behaviour and everyone is happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
My swim today included about 12 dives off the blocks. I did them in the lane next to the aqua aerobics class. After I got out, one of the ladies said they asked the instructor about my dives. She ensured them I was doing them correctly. She was really pleasant and friendly.

I got home from the movies tonight and got a Facebook message on IM from the instructor. I don’t know her but know her name through friends. She’s a local cyclist. She asked if I was swimming this morning around 10am. I told her I was. She then told me diving was not allowed and she verified it with management. She said “So you’re aware the next time you swim”. Diving is permitted for the swim team and masters (which I paid for two years).

Many other fellow swimmers practice dives. I feel like she really singled me out. It is painted “No Diving” all over the pool deck. I guess it doesn’t apply to everyone but me apparently?

She cares about you and doesn't want you to break your neck. Regardless, I'd bring in a couple pairs of boxing gloves and tell her it's time to throw down.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ripple wrote:
Good grief. The OP is being insanely obtuse about this whole ordeal. There are signs plastered all over the building.. it's pretty cut and dry.

I'd personally keep diving, being respectful and away from others until a management discussion happens.

Why so indirect? Not respectful at all. Go to management first and have a discussion to clear up what is and is not permissible. If diving is permitted, management should talk to the instructor. If diving is not allowed in free time, you should hear it from directly from those who make up the rules. No need to beat around the bush.
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Dev, does that mean that if I get dinged for doing 110 in a 100 zone, I’ll get it thrown out because other people were doing 115 and NOT getting tickets?

It’s the same argument.

Bingo!! As an employment attorney, I hear this same argument all the time!! Drives me bonkers. It’s not a defense to bad behavior that others didnt getting caught/reprimanded. Plus, they may also have been reprimanded as the OP wouldn’t be privy to such a reprimand.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Dec 28, 18 8:47
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She is 55-60 years old. Her class had ended as I was leaving. She had every opportunity to speak in person. One lady in the class approached me and was complimentary of my dives. I didn’t think anything of it at the time, but later it made sense that the dives proved to be an issue I hadn’t even considered at the time.

This morning one of her class members was using the entire lane next to the aquacise class. Maybe I should go to management and send her a message tonight telling her that lap lanes are for swimmers and not aqua aerobics classes.

Durhamskier wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Agreed.

The only weird part about this whole thing is the Facebook message. That's it. OP knew he was in the wrong, didn't understand why, but hopefully now he does. We've all learned something.

The Facebook part depends on the instructor. I see 2 possibilities, but we'll never know the truth:

1) If she's younger, contacting someone on social media is no big deal. Although if she's on FB she probably isn't that young.
2) Reaching out via FB could be seen as a kindler, gentler response especially if you have friends in common (which she used to find OP). Instead of confronting you to your face and you being potentially embarrassed by it, she's reaching out in a way that lets you save face. Nothing is mentioned in person but you know the issue and change your behaviour and everyone is happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I should go to management and send her a message tonight telling her that lap lanes are for swimmers and not aqua aerobics classes. //

Thats how the Hatfields and McCoys started!!! At least they were fighting over a pig...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatfield–McCoy_feud

I say do it, then we can keep this thread going all through the holidays!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Calamityjane88 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reply back using social media and Invite her over to your place to “watch some Netflix” and remind her that swimmers have a lot of endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
She is 55-60 years old. Her class had ended as I was leaving. She had every opportunity to speak in person. One lady in the class approached me and was complimentary of my dives. I didn’t think anything of it at the time, but later it made sense that the dives proved to be an issue I hadn’t even considered at the time.

This morning one of her class members was using the entire lane next to the aquacise class. Maybe I should go to management and send her a message tonight telling her that lap lanes are for swimmers and not aqua aerobics classes.
It's pretty obvious she wants you. Send her an ab pic.
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People are missing the obvious answer. Do cannonballs off the block, or off the side if you want. Yell, "I'M NOT DIVING" while in the air. Then tell her to leave you alone and let you dive or she'll keep seeing more of your balls.
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

It's pretty obvious she wants you. Send her an ab pic.

This is a good idea, especially because apparently contact on social media doesn't count, so there will be no consequences.

This is all ridiculous. Every pool I've ever swum in (and that's a decent number) has banned the use of the blocks or even diving from the deck outside of a coached practice. Yes, even for people who are competitive swimmers but not in a practice. That's why there are signs. As much as asymmetrical enforcement of rules sucks, I am skeptical of that part of the situation as reported, given the OP's motivation and emotion.about the situation.

OP, the bottom line is, you broke the rules and were politely asked to follow them in the future. If you decide that you do not like the manner in which you were asked (or the persona who delivered it), the next conversation will be much more formal. You may also need a new pool afterwards.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d say she was 70 years old. The class questioned whether I was performing the dives correctly and the instructor reassured them they were clean dives. These people know more about eating popcorn than swimming. It’s kind of irrelevant. Lmao. I do appreciate the humorous turn this thread is taking.

Calamityjane88 wrote:
I laughed and thought, "yeah, right!" when you said that the aqua ladies were in awe of you and your diving. But you say one of the ladies complemented you? What did she say?

What are your stats? Age? Post a pic?

We'll get to the bottom of this aquatic mystery.
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
I laughed and thought, "yeah, right!" when you said that the aqua ladies were in awe of you and your diving. But you say one of the ladies complemented you? What did she say?

What are your stats? Age? Post a pic?

We'll get to the bottom of this aquatic mystery.

Agreed. And I'd like to see some of your fancy dives. I'm imagining that she wants you to stop because your flamboyant technique and/or stunning physique is making it difficult for her to keep her jazzercizers attention. Just be courteous to her and stop being so sexy.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To honor this thread, I did a cannon ball when I enetered the lap swim lane today during aqua aerobics.
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m proud of you. Did you enter off the blocks?

turningscrews wrote:
To honor this thread, I did a cannon ball when I enetered the lap swim lane today during aqua aerobics.
Quote Reply

Prev Next