Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Organic... It's Just a Label
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Organic... It's Just a Label [justcallmejoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What have you got against American ingenuity?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always wondered about this. I figure it was happening, but hoped it wouldn't. We try to buy organic stuff for our kid.
Quote Reply
Re: Organic... It's Just a Label [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly improved the ROI and less damaging to the environment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there is a lot more of this going on than people realize. Most grocery stores, like Whole Foods, hire someone, who might hire someone else, to certify their produce as organic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me organic means that it contains carbon. Makes things much simpler.
Quote Reply
Re: Organic... It's Just a Label [llewis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, organic chemistry

There was a sliced ham in the supermarket that claimed to be organic, the owner said the green sticker improved sales even though he also put the price up

There was also a small uproar here with traditional big chocolate letters that get sold by the millions every December. Recently there was a more expensive a certified responsible chocolate version in a recycled box. Responsible supposedly meant slave free and organic chocolate. Turns out that legally to earn that sticker the product only needed 1% proven responsible chocolate - 1 gram per 100!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be far more worried about this:

How the mafia infiltrated Italy's food chain - https://www.ft.com/...a3-a09c-d2276bccd030 via @FT
Quote Reply
Re: Organic... It's Just a Label [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ignore the organic label at this point. I have heard from one farmer who grew both organic and non-organic corn and he pretty much said "If everything was organic, there would be a lot more hungry people in the world".

I think he is right, I try to avoid chemicals at all costs in my garden, if I didn't use any I'd have nothing to harvest. I don't know how the food industry can sell tons of organic veggies daily.
Quote Reply