Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Indoor Training and Overuse
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has had issues with overuse injuries from strictly training indoors?

I started with triathlon in around 2006 and participated in races for a few years. I got back into training and racing again in 2016. The 7 or so years in the middle I was strictly cycling. I've had a pretty average weekly volume of around 8-10 hours/week for the last 5 years and would train 14-16 hours a week before that. I've never had an over use injury before.

However, over the last 8-10 months, I've had a few overuse injuries. My training has shifted a lot since around mid 2017. I got hit by a car and pretty much locked myself inside. Soon after is when I first got an overuse injury (IT band). I went and did a running form analysis with a local PT and got a few tips/exercises, which I'd been incorporating. Yet, approximately a week ago, it flared back up.

So, I was looking for validation if the general consensus is that indoor training lends itself to overuse injuries because the stress/movements are too identical and never vary. Or am I just starting to get too old?
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Training and Overuse [Pro_Sandbagger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm new to cycling. Did a 9 month TrainerRoad Full IM program 100% indoors, including the 6 hour long ride.

I had no injuries. The week before the IM I did a recovery ride of 15 miles outside just to make sure I could still ride a bike. During that ride, I messed up my knee.

I made it through the IM (My 1st), but had to take 8 weeks off after it.

As a runner with well over 1000 miles a year for the past several years, that was my 1st knee injury.

I don't know if it was the timing of the outdoor ride or what, but I never had an injury while training indoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think a lot of people have this issue, but for me the indoor trainer gives me saddle sore like symptoms. I think it is from perineal pressure and the fact that on an indoor trainer you just don't move around much and rarely stand up. It's swollen tissue that is probably exacerbated by sitting constantly on the indoor trainer. Still trying to find the right saddle to solve this issue for me. Only solution now is to limit my rides to less than an hour or take a few days off between riding to let things go back to normal.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Training and Overuse [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your solution is not a different saddle, but a rocker plate or a coplate. The latter can be bought as a DIY kit for 60 euro. It does make a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you move all training including running indoors?

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Training and Overuse [SDJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes!

I have been doing a lot of cycling on the trainer over the years. I did buy a new saddle at one point, which led to me getting some saddle sore issues. I went back to my original saddle and the issue went away.

About a year ago I started doing a lot more of my running indoors. Now with 2 kids, sometimes the only time I can train is when I am with the kids, which makes going out hard. So, sometimes I will do 75% to 100% of my training indoors. Sometimes, I will do 100% indoors for 3-4 week stretches. I try and switch my shoes periodically to help vary things up, but I'm not sure that is working too well.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Training and Overuse [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
Your solution is not a different saddle, but a rocker plate or a coplate. The latter can be bought as a DIY kit for 60 euro. It does make a difference.

I'm building one up right now. Hoping for a happy a$$ in the new year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s difficult to truly pinpoint but here are some thoughts:

1. Imbalances caused by your crash. There is a point especially in running where an imbalance becomes a problem. It’s usually a mileage or intensity issue. Everything is fine until you cross that mileage or intensity line.
2. Lack of Variety - One of the keys to injury free running is variety in surface. Change the surface often. I am always reminded of a World Champion who told me “I don’t race on trails so I don’t run on trails”. 1 year after that statement the carreer was over due to chronic running injuries. If you are on the treadmill often make sure you change something often. I would suggest different shoes with different hardnesses. Run in soft shoes some times, run in firm shoes some times.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My n=1 experience of 10+ yrs of triathlon training and 15 yrs of pure running before that, is that I pretty much never get injured while indoor training.

I think it's just easier for me to not feel the urge to 'complete the distance' when I am at risk of overdoing it. It's also such a controlled environment that you're less likely to slip, crash, etc. As well, the 'boredom' factor also means you're much more aware of problematic niggles that could lead to worse stuff (not all of them are bad, just gotta tell.)

I
Quote Reply