Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heart Rate High vs Effort
Quote | Reply
I have been back training at about half peak hours from last season, my question is my heart rate on indoor bike is quite high relative to effort , I have a max heart rate of around 175 and during sweet spot my heart rate is sitting around 160 to 165 while effort is quite comfortable for 2x20, I have a reasonable fan on body, I am not sure if I am just way more rested then in season or if aerobic fitness is low as I haven't done much easy mileage just mostly hour rides 3 x week at sweet spot or threshold 2-3 x10min, last peak was in July for IMC and i took about 2 months off with very little training
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate High vs Effort [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience is when I’m not in shape I can hit higher heart rates.

The more in shape I am the harder it is to elevate my heart rate.

Today on my run I sucked out and was unable to get my heart rate up to the high end of my target for the run.

My guess is when I’m “in shape” my cardiovascular system is in better form than my muscular system. The inverse is true if I haven’t been as active.

Are you doing your 2 x 20 off power or HR?
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate High vs Effort [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
power
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well something is not right with your numbers in the first place. If you have a max HR of 175, it is not going to be comfortable and you would not be able to sustain 40 minutes at 165 or so.

I think you need to revisit what your true max is, if the 2x20 minutes is accurate, it is most definitely above 175.

And someone said it already, when you are out of shape, you will have higher HR's for awhile, or if you are tapered. Both those scenarios have HR's rising and holding higher...
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate High vs Effort [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Well something is not right with your numbers in the first place. If you have a max HR of 175, it is not going to be comfortable and you would not be able to sustain 40 minutes at 165 or so.

I think you need to revisit what your true max is, if the 2x20 minutes is accurate, it is most definitely above 175.

And someone said it already, when you are out of shape, you will have higher HR's for awhile, or if you are tapered. Both those scenarios have HR's rising and holding higher...

I haven't done max heart rate test this year but did last year and was could hit low 170's and once hit 175, I am 52, when I say comfortable I meant comfortable hard, heart rate stars off around 145 for first 5 mins but just keeps climbing where last 5-10 mins of 2nd interval in low 160's to mid 160's, effort 8/10, not sure if its heat build up (room about 55 degrees) or conditioning.
Last edited by: pokey: Dec 23, 18 18:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Hi Monty,

Can you elaborate on the higher HR if you are tapered? I had a recent experience with this that was actually outside my norm for 20+ years.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pokey wrote:
power

My thought exactly. Looking at heart rate without taking into account power \ pace is only going to give you a partial picture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

My max heart rate was 175 and my average heart rate in TTs which ranged from approx 40 minutes to approx 60 minutes was 163. That wasn't comfortable but it was sustainable.

Heart rate is individual, it is a mistake to assume anyone else's heart responds in the same way ones own does or assume what is " average " is anything close to a particular individuals response.
Last edited by: Trev: Dec 24, 18 3:04
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate High vs Effort [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you elaborate on the higher HR if you are tapered? I had a recent experience with this that was actually outside my norm for 20+ years. //

In a lot of people I know, including myself, during the season when you are training hard and in great shape before your taper, it gets hard to get your HR up to where you were used to seeing it early season. Some go so far to the point that they just cannot get the HR up, even though they are still training fast. We called it tired heart.

So once you taper, you rest a whole bunch so your body and heart get a big break. The slow tired muscles react much quicker, and so does the heart. In a real taper I have seen mine be 15 beats high. At first I worried about that, until I understood what was going on. Now I come to expect it, and welcome those high rates. I believe it is similar to when you are out of shape and not training, the HR goes sky high from the get go. IT is rested there too, just that once it goes up, it doesn't have the training to sustain that, and you blow up. In a taper you don't have that problem, it shoots up and is sustainable...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pokey wrote:
power

Yup. If you had watts, you'd know exactly watt's up. heh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks and makes sense. Is it safe to assume that with this "tapered response" your RPE would be same or lower for given pace/power? What if HR and RPE are up?
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate High vs Effort [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
monty wrote:

My max heart rate was 175 and my average heart rate in TTs which ranged from approx 40 minutes to approx 60 minutes was 163. That wasn't comfortable but it was sustainable.

Heart rate is individual, it is a mistake to assume anyone else's heart responds in the same way ones own does or assume what is " average " is anything close to a particular individuals response.

ok, so it sounds like your saying go by power vs FTP for workouts vs worrying about HR vs max ?
Quote Reply