Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Virtual Reality
Quote | Reply
Had my first experience of this yesterday and totally recommend it. Went with my two teenagers, who were grumpy about going to an art gallery (where the installation was set up) but that turned around when they saw the headsets and backpacks.

Basically a 10x30m room where 6 could go at a time. The visuals were of an Avatar-like tree in a forest. Wrist sensors, breath sensors, headphones. You could walk around freely.

When everything was switched on you were in a completely artificial 3D environment. You could swish and poke through your breath, which turned into blue and yellow bubbles and ribbons, see the other people as heightened arm arteries (with pulse), and generally explore, walking through the tree and along the of square grid 'boundary.'

I liked how your perception bumped right up against rationality, and you had to jump over. Can't see your arms -- freaky. The floor drops away to infinity -- freaky. People turn into bloodstreams, freaky. but you adapt very quick.

Anyway if you get a chance, go for it. The kids will be living altered reality in a couple decades, fun to experience that now.
Quote Reply