Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: UK's 2nd busiest airport shut for 1+ days due to drones.... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
klehner wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
gahddenbooi wrote:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/...n_shootdown_reasons/

For a laugh, go on twitter and search for #gatwick and #gatwickdrone

My respect for the UK is falling fast. I mean if a few people with a few drones can shut down your 2nd busiest airport for more than 24 hrs. You really are in a pretty sad place.

Will be fun to see how long till this sort of thing is attempted in other locals and how it is handled.

I wonder why this Airport?

A better question is how does an airport that size only have one runway?

Because prevailing winds don't require a second runway? Are their airports that have two runways in operation simultaneously? Seems like that would cause problems (turbulence, etc.). I always thought airports have multiple runways so they can maintain operations with different wind directions.

Seriously? You have never seen or flown in to an airport with parallel runways?

I'll defer to the language reference in your sig to not question how you got that from my statement.

Well I mean I guess you could have been at airports with parallel runways, but asked if there are such things anyhow???

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Dec 21, 18 17:17
Quote Reply
Re: UK's 2nd busiest airport shut for 1+ days due to drones.... [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:

from the conversation on this thread i believe people dont understand the severity of flying drones around planes. .

Which will do more damage to a plane a 2 lb drone or a 13lb goose? Do you think a plane hitting a drone, is a bigger risk then hitting a goose?

Im not saying that drones should be allowed around airports, of course not. But it seems closing an airport for more than a day cause a drone was spotted in the air, is way overblowing the situation.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: UK's 2nd busiest airport shut for 1+ days due to drones.... [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Madduck wrote:

from the conversation on this thread i believe people dont understand the severity of flying drones around planes. .

Which will do more damage to a plane a 2 lb drone or a 13lb goose? Do you think a plane hitting a drone, is a bigger risk then hitting a goose?

Im not saying that drones should be allowed around airports, of course not. But it seems closing an airport for more than a day cause a drone was spotted in the air, is way overblowing the situation.

i'd say i dont want drones around airports and if you ride on planes you shouldn't either. i think there should be a no fly zone that is a 3-5 mile radius, up to 3000-5000' high. if youre caught it's a federal offense, and hold people accountable.

is the drone a returning reoccurrence? i.e. showing up two or three times a day and hanging out? i honestly dont know the history on the gatwick drone. but if the same drone keeps showing up and hanging around then i think the probability of hitting it is greater than hitting a goose. if you have a target moving through the flight path vs one loitering in the flight path the one loitering is a greater threat.

re: hitting a drone vs goose, i dont want to hit either one. i'd rather take a 13lb goose through the radome than a 2 lbs drone through the engine. if i have to choose between a drone or goose through an engine, if they both shell the engine does it really matter? assuming you make it as equal as possible and sent 'em both through the core it's really a moot point, either will prob destroy the engine. i have an emergency either way.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: UK's 2nd busiest airport shut for 1+ days due to drones.... [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.thesun.co.uk/...ones-arrests-latest/

two arrested in the drone caper.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hanks for the insight, I haven’t flown into Gatwick since he early 90’s with my first airline. I found this little nugget of info on why Gatwick has only one (or uses only one runway) they signed an agreement with the local city council in 1979 to use only one runway. That is set to expire soon.

https://www.gatwickairport.com/...rmation/our-history/

Madduck wrote:
Justgeorge wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
gahddenbooi wrote:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/...n_shootdown_reasons/

For a laugh, go on twitter and search for #gatwick and #gatwickdrone

My respect for the UK is falling fast. I mean if a few people with a few drones can shut down your 2nd busiest airport for more than 24 hrs. You really are in a pretty sad place.

Will be fun to see how long till this sort of thing is attempted in other locals and how it is handled.

I wonder why this Airport?

A better question is how does an airport that size only have one runway?

when it was built in the 1920's that's all that was needed i'd surmise.

i think drone activity is a reflection of the direction society has taken, people not caring or just too stupid to understand the consequences of their actions. my plane has been hit by lasers probably a dozen times over the last 15 yrs. one night i took a good shot to my right eye, it was bothering me driving home. if it wouldn't have felt better in the morning i had planned on a trip to the emergency room. who here does not know that you shouldn't shine green lasers at people or animals?

15 or 20 years ago i don't think society, in general, would have ever thought of doing such things. when i grew up we TP'd our friends houses, if someone was a dick you might egg their car. but never anything that would cause bodily harm to anyone. yes, egging someones car is a dick thing to do, as a teenage boy i'm sure quite a few of us were dicks at one time or another. and, it was in retaliation to someone being a dick first. but i never wanted to harm anyone.

from the conversation on this thread i believe people dont understand the severity of flying drones around planes. and i consider us a group who are above average intelligence. (my grammar sucks though. i admit it.) try to get the message out to the masses, good luck.

regarding airports, in the states, when most big airports were built, a shit-load of time, money and consideration would go into how and where to build an airport. today...multiply that by 100x due to more legislation, restrictions, zoning requirement, environmental impact, etc.

i dont remember what military officer said it but someone thought the airplane would only be useful for hauling the mail. Gatwick was built in the 20's. airports were built away from cities and people because they didnt haul 'em, it was for mail then freight. the cities grew around the airports as the airplane evolved. as planes got bigger they needed longer runways. as air travel expanded we needed more runways. it's not as difficult to make a runway longer as it is to add one, or 3. generally. we have needed more runways at most major airport for years, there's just no place to put 'em.

the most recent major airport that has been built in the states is denver. (if memory serves me correct. open to correction on this.) as far as land, it's also the largest. before denver the largest airport was dallas/ft worth. denver is a great airport as far as the layout goes. but it is a long way from downtown and the general population. the more versatile the airport the more land you need, and it's an exponential increase to get more versatile. i.e. to have 2 parallel, 12'000 ft runways vs 12'000 ft intersecting runways. runway orientation is heavily based on prevailing winds but you also have to consider the plot of land that youre dealing with. if you look at the DFW airport, you have no true E-W runways, 1/3 of DIA's runways are E-W oriented.

most big airports fell behind in keeping up with urban growth. the land adjacent the airport became so densely populated before they realized they were going to need that land until they realized that they needed it. by then they were screwed.

if you made it this far, thanks. i find this industry fascinating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:

i'd say i dont want drones around airports and if you ride on planes you shouldn't either. i think there should be a no fly zone that is a 3-5 mile radius, up to 3000-5000' high. if youre caught it's a federal offense, and hold people accountable.

Lets start with the fact there are no-fly zones and these people were already violating this space. In the US (cant recall UK ceiling) you have a 400 ft ceiling for drone flying, and you can't fly within 5 mile of an airport with approval of the airport, so your proposed zone is smaller than the current regulations

Madduck wrote:

is the drone a returning reoccurrence? i.e. showing up two or three times a day and hanging out? i honestly dont know the history on the gatwick drone. but if the same drone keeps showing up and hanging around then i think the probability of hitting it is greater than hitting a goose. if you have a target moving through the flight path vs one loitering in the flight path the one loitering is a greater threat.

Never heard the drone was in the flight path, highly unlikely as they were going for visibility they wanted to be seen to stop the flights, if they were in the flight path they would be to far away to be seen.

Madduck wrote:

re: hitting a drone vs goose, i dont want to hit either one. i'd rather take a 13lb goose through the radome than a 2 lbs drone through the engine. if i have to choose between a drone or goose through an engine, if they both shell the engine does it really matter? assuming you make it as equal as possible and sent 'em both through the core it's really a moot point, either will prob destroy the engine. i have an emergency either way.

Well History is not on your side, many planes have ingested birds into an engine and continued flying, most commercial planes can fly down an engine, bird strikes that take down a plane are when they fly into a flock of birds and lose more than one engine.

I agree I don't want to hit either, but airports are not closed because a goose is seen in the area. If I were on the plane and someone said there was a drone flying around I would be like yeah ok, lets go whats the issue. Is there an increased risk, sure, but one outside what I would call operating norms no. Should the police do something to get the operator yes, but closing the airport cause you spot 1 drone in my opinion way over reacting. But its just my opinion.

Just Triing
Last edited by: DavHamm: Dec 22, 18 8:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8042572/gatwick-airport-drones-arrests-latest/

Interesting the guys boss is saying he was at work doing the drone flights so it could not have been him.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/...ted-couple-revealed/

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: UK's 2nd busiest airport shut for 1+ days due to drones.... [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Madduck wrote:

Lets start with the fact there are no-fly zones and these people were already violating this space. In the US (cant recall UK ceiling) you have a 400 ft ceiling for drone flying, and you can't fly within 5 mile of an airport with approval of the airport, so your proposed zone is smaller than the current regulations

so theyre already breaking the law flying in a no-fly zone. do they know that? if they do thats even worse. if theyre so stupid to break the law theyre prob to stupid to realize the significance of what a drone can do to a plane. and do they know what/where airplanes wont be? at least an animal world, hopefully, the animal will have the wherewithal to move away from a plane. a drone hovering over a position has a very limited sight picture and very little situational awareness of what's next to them or behind them.

Madduck wrote:

Never heard the drone was in the flight path, highly unlikely as they were going for visibility they wanted to be seen to stop the flights, if they were in the flight path they would be to far away to be seen.

your drone vs bird analogy is really stupid. there are so many directions to take this argument i cant cover them all. birds are transitioning, drones have been seen loitering. every drone event does not get reported by the news just like every laser event doesnt. i dont know how many times i've been given a drone alert flying out of LAX. plus, drones are more difficult to see. a stationary dot is much more difficult to pick out vs a moving target. ever wonder why lights on towers blink? easier to identify and determine if the target is actually moving or stationary.

Madduck wrote:

Well History is not on your side, many planes have ingested birds into an engine and continued flying, most commercial planes can fly down an engine, bird strikes that take down a plane are when they fly into a flock of birds and lose more than one engine.

no shit sherlock, airplanes with more than one engine are all certified to fly if they lose one. it's bad enough looking for birds now you want to put more things out there for us to hit? again, birds are transitioning, generally in a straight line. i can prob 'guesstimate' where they are heading if i can see 'em, that way i can avoid them. a drone can change directions much quicker and not knowing their intent it's impossible to 'guesstimate' what their future path may be. on many occasions i have seen airport ops grind to a halt due to a coyote running in and around the vicinity of a runway. usually the more rural ones, i.e. lubbock, boise, little rock. i can guarantee you if a coyote was seen on the ground between either set of the parallel runways at LAX, that side of the airport would stop operations until that threat was removed. i guess you could say a coyote is the drone of the animal world on the airport/gound. they can stop, change directions quickly, be next to impossible to determine their next move.

I agree I don't want to hit either, but airports are not closed because a goose is seen in the area. If I were on the plane and someone said there was a drone flying around I would be like yeah ok, lets go whats the issue. Is there an increased risk, sure, but one outside what I would call operating norms no. Should the police do something to get the operator yes, but closing the airport cause you spot 1 drone in my opinion way over reacting. But its just my opinion.

i dont disagree that one drone here and there should shut down and airport, they dont, it is a fact of life today. reading some more stories it seemed that the drone was seen on airport prop, then gone, then back, i.e. like a coyote. not trusting the media i have no idea the accuracy of what theyre printing. i also read that the drone was seen crossing the "fence line". with the info i've seen so far i have no idea of the proximity of the drone to runways, taxiways, ramps, etc., so 90% of what you and i are saying is being debated on speculation. what i do know is that there is a reason one bird wont shut down an airpot but one coyote will.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Last edited by: Madduck: Dec 22, 18 9:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a funny story from SFO.
we pull into the gate, shut the plane down and notice everyone on the ramp is looking at something behind us, not at us but farther out. we go down to see what the attraction is. mind you, we just pulled in, less than 3 mins has elapsed since we shut down and nothing was behind us.

somehow a duck, one duck, had gotten onto the taxiway and was sitting under either a 777 or 747, with all engines running. dont remember which a/c it was. i have no idea how this event came about so quickly but it did. that duck was right on the taxi line, so it was right between the running engines, the noise had to be incredible down there. but it was just siting there. rampers were towards the front of the plane trying to shag it towards the back, but if the noise didnt bother the duck i'm sure the rampers were of no concern. with the engines running they were quite limited on how close they could get.

after a few mins the duck did waddle far enough behind the engines that the crew started to taxi forward, then the duck flew away, away from aft of the engines.

it was hilarious seeing this tiny duck keeping this huge plane frozen in its tracks.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Last edited by: Madduck: Dec 22, 18 9:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:

so theyre already breaking the law flying in a no-fly zone. do they know that? if they do thats even worse. if theyre so stupid to break the law theyre prob to stupid to realize the significance of what a drone can do to a plane. and do they know what/where airplanes wont be? at least an animal world, hopefully, the animal will have the wherewithal to move away from a plane. a drone hovering over a position has a very limited sight picture and very little situational awareness of what's next to them or behind them.

Dude this was not an accident, these people were clearing trying to shutdown the airport, and succeeded. They gave in to the terrorist.

Madduck wrote:

i dont know how many times i've been given a drone alert flying out of LAX.

Wait so your saying in the US when there are drones around a US airport they don't shut it down???? OMG

Thank you for providing support to the point I have been trying to make about the UK situation. There was a drone in the area, as you said happens daily so what don't shut down an airport, take care of it.

Madduck wrote:

i dont disagree that one drone here and there should shut down and airport, they dont, it is a fact of life today. reading some more stories it seemed that the drone was seen on airport prop, then gone, then back, i.e. like a coyote. not trusting the media i have no idea the accuracy of what theyre printing. i also read that the drone was seen crossing the "fence line". with the info i've seen so far i have no idea of the proximity of the drone to runways, taxiways, ramps, etc., so 90% of what you and i are saying is being debated on speculation. what i do know is that there is a reason one bird wont shut down an airpot but one coyote will.

Of course it came and went a drone has about 30 min of fly time, no way it was flying for all 36hrs they had the airport closed, It was coming and going.
They had lots of reports of these drones I am sure some were not real some where not, it was all over the airport, again, not an unusual situation, the fact they shut down the airport for 36 hrs is just dumb.

It seems you are a pilot, but have no clue of what was happening there, or how drones work, or what drone regulations are.

Just to make sure I got what you have said so far, US airports stay open when drones are seen in the area, you think a 400 ft ceiling anywhere, and a 5 mile no fly zone around airports is ok (which is current US regulation)

Now the fact that when this UK airport saw a drone it closed down, to me seems (Based on US airport behavior) to be an overreaction, closing for 36hrs seems beyond overreaction.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what was the proximity of the drone(s) to the runway/taxiways/ramps?

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were no drones.

Deceptively slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8042572/gatwick-airport-drones-arrests-latest/

They have been released and cleared of any involvement.
Quote Reply
Re: UK's 2nd busiest airport shut for 1+ days due to drones.... [Speckled Hen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speckled Hen wrote:
There were no drones.

Well I started a new thread, but Yeah that's what the police are saying maybe the case now.

Just Triing
Quote Reply

Prev Next