Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump on Syria [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
DoD Fiscal year is July-July.

trail wrote:
Assad isn't in the group of people I'd want to have a beer with.

See, we can agree on something!

Where did you read that? The fiscal year is the same as the rest of the federal government, Oct - Sept.

We had defense contracts purposely written July - June to avoid the DoD fiscal year.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on Syria [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Did you read the link? Mattis was summarily dismissed because he didn't agree with Obama's intention for military action with Iran (before the nuke deal where we decided to pay them).

by "summarily dismissed" do you mean that obama replaced him as CENTCOM commander because it became obvious that obama's policy toward iran and mattis's were diametrically opposed? if so, then, i don't understand your point. i don't begrudge trump having the leaders in place that he feels he needs. and i'm also glad in retrospect we didn't bomb the living jeebus out of china in 1951 (i think truman's much more public dismissal of macarthur has stood up well over time; and i wish LBJ had been of like mind about westmoreland).

who all thinks likes the idea of americans in syria? show of hands? no one? and as i wrote somewhere higher up on this thread, i'd be find leaving syria as long as we don't abandon those who fought alongside us. if we had:

1. decided to dislodge ourselves from syria in any kind of orderly way;
2. spoke to our own generals and state dept first, to take their advice;
3. failing that, at least alert them!
4. advised and alerted our allies in our coalition;
5. had a plan to protect the kurds from the genocide that's likely coming;
6. likewise our other syrian allies;
7. retreated from the battle theater with a plan for rapid tactical return if need be;

then i don't think you and i would have very much to disagree about.

Looks like some of your conditions stated above, are in the works. Seems Trump's bullshit pronouncement back when was just bluster. Bolton came out with a shot across Turkey's bow. This is no shit power playing between Russia and Turkey and the USA. We should see how well Trump's staff handles their red lines in the sand. Maybe we will be lucky and the only casualty will be Gen Mattis.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on Syria [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
Slowman wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
Did you read the link? Mattis was summarily dismissed because he didn't agree with Obama's intention for military action with Iran (before the nuke deal where we decided to pay them).

by "summarily dismissed" do you mean that obama replaced him as CENTCOM commander because it became obvious that obama's policy toward iran and mattis's were diametrically opposed? if so, then, i don't understand your point. i don't begrudge trump having the leaders in place that he feels he needs. and i'm also glad in retrospect we didn't bomb the living jeebus out of china in 1951 (i think truman's much more public dismissal of macarthur has stood up well over time; and i wish LBJ had been of like mind about westmoreland).

who all thinks likes the idea of americans in syria? show of hands? no one? and as i wrote somewhere higher up on this thread, i'd be find leaving syria as long as we don't abandon those who fought alongside us. if we had:

1. decided to dislodge ourselves from syria in any kind of orderly way;
2. spoke to our own generals and state dept first, to take their advice;
3. failing that, at least alert them!
4. advised and alerted our allies in our coalition;
5. had a plan to protect the kurds from the genocide that's likely coming;
6. likewise our other syrian allies;
7. retreated from the battle theater with a plan for rapid tactical return if need be;

then i don't think you and i would have very much to disagree about.

Looks like some of your conditions stated above, are in the works. Seems Trump's bullshit pronouncement back when was just bluster. Bolton came out with a shot across Turkey's bow. This is no shit power playing between Russia and Turkey and the USA. We should see how well Trump's staff handles their red lines in the sand. Maybe we will be lucky and the only casualty will be Gen Mattis.

Mattis is not the only casualty. The man who built and was managing the coalition currently fighting ISIS, Brett McGurk, also quit. But trump said it was ok, because he did not eve know who Brett was. You know, trump was so concerned with ISIS, but did not know the person managing the fight, because that is somehow ok.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on Syria [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So now the abrupt pullout has been walked back twice. First it was extended to a 60-90 day process. Now Bolton says there is a precondition of "completely destroying ISIS."
Which is, of course, completely open-ended.

And contradicts Trump's previous claim that ISIS was defeated.

So who knows what's going on or who's making the decisions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
DoD Fiscal year is July-July.

trail wrote:

Assad isn't in the group of people I'd want to have a beer with.

See, we can agree on something!

DoD FY is Oct-Oct. has been for a very long time.

Quote | Reply
McGurk wasn't going to be part of the strategy and was already leaving his post...so we could do without grandstanding by some of these people. Don't be woke to be woke.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
McGurk wasn't going to be part of the strategy and was already leaving his post...so we could do without grandstanding by some of these people. Don't be woke to be woke.

What did McGurk do to grandstand?

I haven't been following too closely, but I haven't heard of a letter. Or a press conference. Or a tweet storm. I thought he just...resigned.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 6, 19 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on Syria [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bolton just spoke about staying in Syria to ensure ISIS is defeated (Trump said they were defeated) and to ensure groups that fought ISIS (ie. Kurds and others) aren't left on their own. Trump implied they were safe since of course, ISIS was already defeated.

It's good that Trump backtracked again, even if it took others in his administration to force him to cave in. He'll never admit it of course but certainly good news.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on Syria [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
. He'll never admit it of course but certainly good news.

I don't know if it's entirely good news. It's unclear who's running the country. Acting Chief of Staff. Acting SecDef. Acting Attorney General. Acting Ambassador to the UN.

Who - other than Bolton, whom I don't really trust - is advising the President - whose strongly-worded statements are often reversed days later - on defense and foreign policy?
Last edited by: trail: Jan 6, 19 17:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

But shouldn't trump knew who McGurk was?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on Syria [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Bolton just spoke about staying in Syria to ensure ISIS is defeated (Trump said they were defeated) and to ensure groups that fought ISIS (ie. Kurds and others) aren't left on their own. Trump implied they were safe since of course, ISIS was already defeated.

It's good that Trump backtracked again, even if it took others in his administration to force him to cave in. He'll never admit it of course but certainly good news.

Trump once again steps in his own bullshit due to ignorant impetuousness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so we could do without grandstanding by some of these people.

I find it odd that as a staunch Trump supporter, you take objection to someone grandstanding.

P.S - Since a lot of people had never heard of McGurk, myself included, I'm curious what he did that involves grandstanding?
Last edited by: Sanuk: Jan 7, 19 5:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never fear, Jared and Miller. But more importantly to trump, putin.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on Syria [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Trump once again steps in his own bullshit due to ignorant impetuousness.

Today Turkey's President Erdogan slammed Bolton for contradicting Trump's original assertion that the US would withdraw immediately. Now why would Turkey be upset about providing assurances over the Kurds' safety?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on Syria [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

But shouldn't trump knew who McGurk was?

Trump knew who McGurk was. It's just his bitchy little high school mean girl persona coming through. You have to remember he craves attention and recognition, so in his mind "Eh, I don't even know who this person is" is the ultimate insult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I don't know if it's entirely good news. It's unclear who's running the country. Acting Chief of Staff. Acting SecDef. Acting Attorney General. Acting Ambassador to the UN.

Who - other than Bolton, whom I don't really trust - is advising the President - whose strongly-worded statements are often reversed days later - on defense and foreign policy?

If Pompeo and Bolton stay on the same page as pro-Kurd, anti-Iran, pro-Israel, holding Turkey at bay, while Trump remains preoccupied with matters of National Emergency all the while Graham keeps him in check, status quo might be maintained. It is critical that Trump not speak to either Recep or Vlad. I swear he goes Manchurian candidate responsive when he listens to them and makes all sorts of unrealistic promises because he needs to be a member of the strong boys club.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
trail wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

If Pompeo and Bolton stay on the same page as pro-Kurd, anti-Iran, pro-Israel, holding Turkey at bay, while Trump remains preoccupied with matters of National Emergency all the while Graham keeps him in check, status quo might be maintained. It is critical that Trump not speak to either Recep or Vlad. I swear he goes Manchurian candidate responsive when he listens to them and makes all sorts of unrealistic promises because he needs to be a member of the strong boys club.

Well that lasted all of one day. Seems Pompeo is off the Bolton reservation and is back on the Trump reservation. Who is in charge argument remains front and center. Good thing we are focused on valid National Security issue on our southern border.

Putin could not have scripted this bullshit any better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need some help here boys. Just reading tea leaves here, but I now see Trump's position as clear, always has been. Troops out. He wins, promise kept, now quit bitching at him. That we can't abandon and depart soon, now or in entirety has been made clear to Trump by Graham and others. So it is onto Trump's War and ME strategy we go marching. Obama did not do it right. This will be our way forward as explained in Pompeo's Cairo speech. With the simultaneous sounding a bugle call of both retreat and charge off we go with the 21st century Balkan war of bombardment and no ground troops in the middle east. The less public and out of the press, all the better. To Turkey we say sanctions will be our response if you cross the border to mess with Kurds. Now, if Kurd terrrorists are found on your side? Free game, go for it. To Assad and Russia do whatever you want with your current force and territory. Stay in your lane. To Israel, air raids on Hezbollah and Iranian forces near your border? The more the merrier, we may be able to assist on the sly. To the Kurd's in Syria, our assist will be a CIA led para-military ground game with air support to the max against daesh. To the Iranians, we can see you and we will attack your convoys and movements in Syria. Although still a nightmare, if this is the new Mideast war, I rest easier.

To Steve, earlier you mentioned deploying a last time. The date approaches fast, so allow me to stand, raise a parting glass, and wish for you fair winds and a following sea (or however you grunts phrase it), the full and even backing of your country, clear orders and understanding of mission,and Godspeed in return.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on Syria [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And today....

Quote:
Two months after declaring all U.S. troops are leaving Syria, President Donald Trump wrote to members of Congress that he now agrees "100%" with keeping a military presence in Syria.

Ready. Fire. Aim.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on Syria [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
And today....

Quote:

Two months after declaring all U.S. troops are leaving Syria, President Donald Trump wrote to members of Congress that he now agrees "100%" with keeping a military presence in Syria.

Ready. Fire. Aim.

Uh, "ready"?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Trump on Syria [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
And today....

Quote:

Ready. Fire. Aim.

Wait until Trump finds out that is the plan now. He is going to be pissed that Trump changed his plan.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next