Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say the setup is very similar in terms of the main village being the hub for everything. Logistics at MT are a bit easier because you only have 1 transition and don't have to deal with going back and forth to Rainbow Park multiple times like Whistler. If you stay in the village in Tremblant, it is more expensive than Whistler for sure. We found decent prices at some of the surrounding condos which are still only a 5 min walk to transition. Getting there is pretty similar. Neither are particularly easy to get to.
Last edited by: USCoregonian: Dec 21, 18 9:16
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 70.3 still has what looks like the old course? But I’m guessing it’ll actually be the first loop of the full

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
The 70.3 still has what looks like the old course? But I’m guessing it’ll actually be the first loop of the full

Yes 70.3 goes all the way to the ALR turnaround Should make that better and less crowded
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whistler is super easy to get to from LA. And cheap, $300 r/t
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the course, I have to wonder, if a tri bike would even be that much faster than a road or aero road bike.
I did the race in 2016 and of course the top pros were coming down CVR in aero bars flying. But a lot of age groupers were on basebars not looking super steady. Would be interesting to see a compare of bikes on the course.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:
With the course, I have to wonder, if a tri bike would even be that much faster than a road or aero road bike.
I did the race in 2016 and of course the top pros were coming down CVR in aero bars flying. But a lot of age groupers were on basebars not looking super steady. Would be interesting to see a compare of bikes on the course.

TT bike is faster guaranteed. You need a pretty insane course for a road bike to be better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:

I am also generally not flying down CVR in aero either, but that is a very small part of the race (even twice). Nearly all of the Whistler to Callaghan and beyond is in aero, most of the climb back Is in aero, and town to the north turnaround and back is all aero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri bike with disc.100%

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the live facebook feed I believe the RD said the 70.3 will be a single loop of the 180km course. No climb back up Alta Lake Rd. Map will be out in January for the 70.3.

I was hoping for this type of change in the full bike route. Should spread the numbers out for the course and didn't lose any of the climbing. Can't wait!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why would you think that? I live here. So am pretty curious

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do chuckle at all the rumours and innuendo.... i live here. Ironman introd me to Penticton and i loved it so much i moved here. Not convinced I want to pay the WTC required cash for its return! We have the fondo. Same number of riders way less hassle and WAAAAY cheaper.

Now if it makes city expense line sense thats great lets bring it back. But then i have strong opinions on the course. Both bike and run would change. The Silkameen valley road is now so busy in summer i ride it once, am reminded of the dangers, and dont ride it again each summer. The run should change to 3 or even 4 loops in the town to save on road closures and runner loneliness

Also, its been 6 years. Most athletes (ie outside ST) dont even know the race existed in Penticton. They know Tremblant because they live east & Whistler because they live west. Most IM athletes are bucket list now so would have to google map Penticton

These are my opinions. -:)

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Thanks. Not as concerned with difficulty. I figure if I can do the 2018 course in that weather I can do just about anything (since anything is possible eh? :) ) just more of overall venue, experience, etc. whistler can be a long weekend for me and relatively cheap as far as ironmans go. MT is a bit more involved and quite a bit more $.

I did Whistler in 2015, and I've done Tremblant in 2013, 2017, and 2018. Both are great experiences, but I think Tremblant is better. When I was in Whistler it seemed like the Village was too big for the race. On race day there were a number of people around the village who weren't there for the race, and that evening the only restaurant open late was McDonalds. Tremblant is smaller, so everyone in the village is there for the race. There's a buzz around town that really build over race weekend. Both races have a better atmosphere than most others, but I'd say Tremblant is better.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
Thanks. Not as concerned with difficulty. I figure if I can do the 2018 course in that weather I can do just about anything (since anything is possible eh? :) ) just more of overall venue, experience, etc. whistler can be a long weekend for me and relatively cheap as far as ironmans go. MT is a bit more involved and quite a bit more $.

I did Whistler in 2015, and I've done Tremblant in 2013, 2017, and 2018. Both are great experiences, but I think Tremblant is better. When I was in Whistler it seemed like the Village was too big for the race. On race day there were a number of people around the village who weren't there for the race, and that evening the only restaurant open late was McDonalds. Tremblant is smaller, so everyone in the village is there for the race. There's a buzz around town that really build over race weekend. Both races have a better atmosphere than most others, but I'd say Tremblant is better.
I'm on the opposite end versus you - i thought Mont Tremblant was great, but Whistler is better.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. The kind of info I was looking for
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Anyone done IMMT and can compare? Have done Canada twice and love it but wasn’t coming back for the 2018 course. So was looking at IMMT which gets rave reviews

I've done Whistler twice and was at Tremblant in 2014. Supposed to race but there was a hospital trip involved a couple of days before the race which ended that. Anyhoo... I swam in the lake, ran some of the run course, and drove much of the bike course.

Water was colder than Whistler, at least that year, but otherwise it's a 1-loop lake swim. As mentioned, the bike course at MT is far from easy but it's not as hard as Whistler (any of the Whistler bike courses). It's a somewhat challenging bike course though. Roads are about as nice quality as you'll ever ride on. The run course isn't flat but not that bad. I only ran around the village part of the course, so I can't comment much about the rest of it.

The village area at MT is similar-ish to Whistler but on a much smaller scale. Ski resort town with a bunch of hotel and restaurants. What was very different from Whistler was pricing. Hotels at MT were far more expensive than Whistler. Also needed to get out of the MT resort area to find a grocery store, whereas there are the two stores right in Whistler Village.

Both are about 90 minute drives from their respective main airports (Vancouver and Montreal). There's also the potential for language barrier issues if you don't speak French. Generally not a concern in MT but it could be a concern in areas between MT and Montreal.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suck it! Suck it long and suck it hard. Then, suck it some more. Lol.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada bike course changes again... [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I thought Whistler was FAR better than Tremblant and a much more beautiful venue for my family to enjoy. I will be sad to see it go.
Quote Reply

Prev Next