Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sram R2C shifters. Carbon or Aluminum
Quote | Reply
Anyone had any experience with the aluminum version of the r2c shifters. I've had the carbon ones before but got rid of them when I went to di2 but now I'm going to do a one x mechanical is it worth getting the carbon ones?
Quote Reply
Re: Sram R2C shifters. Carbon or Aluminum [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the mechanical ones, got them for same reason, but ended up back di2. had no issue

need to unload them sometime, along with a bunch of other stuff when I feel like getting around to it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Anyone had any experience with the aluminum version of the r2c shifters. I've had the carbon ones before but got rid of them when I went to di2 but now I'm going to do a one x mechanical is it worth getting the carbon ones?

I had the carbon ones as original equipment on my bike. After three seasons one of the small 'wave washers' inside broke. Unfortunately it was the week of a race, so I was forced to do the race on my road bike. I ended up replacing the shifters with the aluminum ones, and don't notice any difference. For the small weight savings I don't really feel it's worth it. SRAM does sell a 'fix kit' for the R2C shifters, which doesn't cost all that much, but I just decided to get the new aluminum ones.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Sram R2C shifters. Carbon or Aluminum [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the internals the same?
Or do the cardon ones have something else going on. I'm not concerned about the weight just reliability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure the internals are the same. The Velofix guy who installed them told me as much.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Are the internals the same?
Or do the cardon ones have something else going on. I'm not concerned about the weight just reliability.

The internals are the same between metal and carbon fiber.

I'm pretty sure you can make a (specific to the SRAM R2C series) 10 speed shifter an 11 speed with the 11 speed rebuild kit too. My reason for thinking this is I'm absolutely sure you can rebuild an 11 speed into a perfectly functioning 10 speed by not double-checking the parts kit sent to you, installing it, then going crazy figuring out why you can't get the 11th gear.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram R2C shifters. Carbon or Aluminum [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
does anyone know how to have the Carbon R2c shifters not be on click/fricktion mode..not only is it a tad rough to shift, but the click drives me crazy..I'm sure there is ways to adjust right? I just had my LBS install some for me..

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Sram R2C shifters. Carbon or Aluminum [mpeardon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe there's a way to adjust that.

An older Shimano bar end shifter will do that. I know 9 speed Shimano had friction mode. I don't remember if their 10 speeds did. I don't know if SRAM's non-R2C shifter can do that. The nice thing about friction mode is that the number of speeds or brand didn't have to match the rear derailleur.

Edit: Double negative fixed
Last edited by: dangle: Dec 20, 18 12:27
Quote Reply
Re: Sram R2C shifters. Carbon or Aluminum [mpeardon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpeardon wrote:
does anyone know how to have the Carbon R2c shifters not be on click/fricktion mode..not only is it a tad rough to shift, but the click drives me crazy..I'm sure there is ways to adjust right? I just had my LBS install some for me..

Thanks

I have 4 sets of R2C shifters, and have rebuilt them a few times. There is no mechanism to convert them to friction only.

Happy to try to answer any other questions about R2Cs, since I have torn them down and rebuilt I'm very familiar with them and how the variations are different.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Sram R2C shifters. Carbon or Aluminum [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taugen wrote:
mpeardon wrote:

Thanks

I have 4 sets of R2C shifters, and have rebuilt them a few times. There is no mechanism to convert them to friction only.

Happy to try to answer any other questions about R2Cs, since I have torn them down and rebuilt I'm very familiar with them and how the variations are different.

I always wondered why you couldn't just change the internal gear of a 10sp to make it an 11 speed shifter...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Well I would really like to know how to reassemble my 11s R2C shifter (front derailleur)! I changed my groupset and accidentally disassembled the shifter… I would like to sell these shifters, but I guess it would be easier to sell them assembled!
Quote Reply
Re: Sram R2C shifters. Carbon or Aluminum [madmax231] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
madmax231 wrote:
Quote:

Well I would really like to know how to reassemble my 11s R2C shifter (front derailleur)! I changed my groupset and accidentally disassembled the shifter… I would like to sell these shifters, but I guess it would be easier to sell them assembled!

Best suggestion is download the Sram rebuild PDF instructions. They have very detailed pictures and guides. Just be gentle, as some of the washers are very thin and can break. Some small needle nose pliers are helpful too. I say all of this, however I have only rebuilt my 10sp models and not an 11sp model. But, I suspect that it is all the same.

https://www.zipp.com/_media/pdfs/support/R2C-Rebuild.pdf

Quote Reply
Re: Sram R2C shifters. Carbon or Aluminum [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Taugen wrote:
mpeardon wrote:

Thanks

I always wondered why you couldn't just change the internal gear of a 10sp to make it an 11 speed shifter...

In my experience with rebuilding the 10sp models, there are a couple things I see as to why converting it to 11sp would be difficult (but not impossible).
First, the main 'heavy tooth' gear that is pressed on the axle is what determines the number of jumps (shifts) that can be made (ie: 9 vs 10). That heavy tooth gear would have to be changed to the 11sp gear. Okay, not a big deal there. BUT, the problem comes in with the interaction of the heavy tooth gear pull ratio, in conjuction with the shift lever's cable pulley guide channel. The cable guide channel also plays a factor in how much cable pull is made with each heavy shift click for gear changes. Thus the difference between the original Zipp (shimano ratio) shifters and the Sram labeled (sram ratio) shifters. The depth of the cable guide pulley grooves are different in order to make the pull ratios different. This is why the rebuild kit will work for both shimano and sram ratio, because the internals are the same, but the shift lever pulley guide wheels are different and they are not included in the rebuild kit. And because there is a different pull ratio between 10sp vs 11sp rear derailleurs (at least for Shimano there is, I think Sram didn't change theirs). So, you would have to change the heavy tooth gear, and also the shift lever's cable guide pulley in order to convert a Shimano 10sp to an 11sp.

Last edited by: Taugen: Dec 21, 18 11:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Sram R2C shifters. Carbon or Aluminum [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
I don't believe there's a way to adjust that.

An older Shimano bar end shifter will do that. I know 9 speed Shimano had friction mode. I don't remember if their 10 speeds did. I don't know if SRAM's non-R2C shifter can do that. The nice thing about friction mode is that the number of speeds or brand didn't have to match the rear derailleur.

Edit: Double negative fixed
Shimano 10sp shifters do have friction mode.
Quote Reply