Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Raleigh/Cary, NC folks [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Out of curiosity, how is an ISO group ride done? .

I always just rode my road bike the few times I've done it. In the lead group there was always a mix of road bikes and Tri bikes. The triathletes seemed to be pretty good about staying off the extensions except when they were in the lead.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh/Cary, NC folks [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I'm local and have ridden the IOS ride for 7 years, we do not get out of the aerobars in the pace line. We rotate from the right side pull line to the left side recovery line all while in our aerobars. If we need to brake, we come out of aero and to the basebar for air drag braking.

The fastest and best triathletes in Raleigh show up to this ride and everyone knows what they are doing in the A group.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Dec 19, 18 15:23
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh/Cary, NC folks [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The transfer request to move a body was denied by HR so looks like it's not happening. Budget and money issues since we have been operating under a continuing resolution (no budget) for the last 5+ years, with the shutdown being the cherry on top. So everyone is in the "do the best with what you got" mode.

Gotta love the government. So my Houston prison sentence remains. :-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear that. How much longer until 30yr retirement? Hopefully you’ll be able transfer close to where you want to retire as you time ticks down. When I was in the Army, they PCS’d me at 19 yrs, had to take it or “ resign”. When I arrived at my new assignment I dropped my retirement paperwork within 90 days, spent 12 months there and moved back to N.C. The government does so stupid, irrational things to employees at times. Hope all works out.
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh/Cary, NC folks [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Since I'm local and have ridden the IOS ride for 7 years, we do not get out of the aerobars in the pace line. We rotate from the right side pull line to the left side recovery line all while in our aerobars. If we need to brake, we come out of aero and to the basebar for air drag braking.

The fastest and best triathletes in Raleigh show up to this ride and everyone knows what they are doing in the A group.

A bit late to the reply, but what's the pace on that? Given that it's pace-line aerobars. Also, what's the pull time?

I ask, because for what I'm after if riding my TT bike, I'd prefer a long pull time. I'm considering getting a few folks to do the Spoke Cycle route as an ITT group once a month and chase the roadies down after giving them a head start. It's a pretty flattish rural route. Having ridden the roadie group out there, it'd be a great 25mi TT option if you warm-up the first couple miles and cooldown the ending heading into town.

I've had the NC State boys chase me around the PNC arena before, that was fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 but what's the pace on that? Given that it's pace-line aerobars. Also, what's the pull time?

------

In the A group for the "loop" (it is a warm up to the neighborhood with the whole ride, then the group breaks up into A and B), they avg roughly 26+ mph, and the pull time on the front is usually 2-3s at the most. It's a quick rotating pace line so your not on the front long at all. Of course it can at times get down to small handful pulling only and then it sorta becomes whatever you got.

But that ride isn't a "pull a long time", it's actually the opposite becuase you sitting on the front for a extended period will only slow the pace down.

ETA: They actually do a very good job of preaching safety. No running red lights, no swerving in/around cars, they simply ride as hard as they can for 1 hour straight and shake hands in the parking lot when it's all done. But it's close combat and they are in the aerobars most of the time. They also do hella good job of communicating and knowing what they are doing.

(I work for the shop that puts on the ride for full disclosure)

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 31, 19 10:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been a long time since I've ridden the IOS rides (7-8 years or so) but it was surprisingly coordinated and safe for being aero in a paceline.

From what I remember, A group was 24ish, and the B group was around 20/21. About 1/2 way through the ride, the B group would start to catch some guys that got spit out the back of the A group, and then split into a B+ / B- group with the dropped As pulling the stronger Bs out of the group.
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh/Cary, NC folks [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B group won't break up anymore into a specific +/- group. It's designed to stay together. Now if you fall off the B pace, that's fine, but no longer is B "chasing" the A group and/or trying to blow up the B group. That group is designed/encouraged to get more people pulling so that it makes the ride more enjoyable for everyone. Yes they'll ride strong, but it's a much more controlled pace than A group is. So if your one of those in the B group that's trying to "push" the B group harder/stronger than it's intended, it's been advised that you give A group a shot.

A group on the other hand is a bring what you got and hold on, as usually half the A group can't even pull from the start. Like I said it'll go as fast and as hard as the riders that day make it, especially depending on who shows up (there are riders that you know will make it just a degree harder than the normal group, etc).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Raleigh/Cary, NC folks [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, that's exactly how it was supposed to be last time I rode it, and it wasn't the B riders pushing the pace that broke up the B group, it was the A riders that got dropped, would get back to the B pack and then "refuse" to sit in and join the group and would consistently pull at a pace that the majority of the B group couldn't hold.

If it's changed, that's awesome, because I knew a lot of B riders that wouldn't go to the ride because it would be great for 1/2, then blow up and they would be left coming in on their own. Maybe I'll drag my bike up when I'm in town for work and give it another shot. It was always a great workout though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes it's now changed so that the B group rides a consistent pace much more than in the past. The B group pace has always been at times an "issue". So in those instances where an A rider is gapping the group, they'll just let him go and/or tell him to go ride off the front or ride to the group's pace.

So come out when you can!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hijack. It appears he's not moving here to come have fun here anyway. So guess the original topic is cooled off.

Cool. Thanks. That's an interesting concept for a ride. Sounds like a blast at that speed. I did the Lorri (spelling?) benefit ride a while back on the road bike and lots of the IOS crew were out there. So I have a bit of an idea what this probably looks like.

I asked as I'm used to a smaller group, or a group where a couple of us take some pretty long pulls and others tend to sit in to keep up.

My favorite pull is Trinity Rd/Reedy Creek. Get up front two of us and drive a hard pace and play poker face on who'll quit first and pull off. We've made it once all the way from 54 down Trenton and up Reedy. Usually the B group will get dropped over the first roller. Then the A group will splinter up Reedy.

Gosh I can't wait till the weather and time changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And then so close to our SwimRun NC race :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next