Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Raising community support to bring a long course race to Charleston, SC!
Quote | Reply
Title of the post says it all... looking to generate interest and community support in hopes of bringing a long course race to Charleston, SC.

A Facebook page has been created: https://www.facebook.com/...odal=admin_todo_tour
so give it a like and let's see where this goes!

FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm not an RD, just a local guy who thinks Charleston could (easily) support a race, as long as the community is behind it!

I understand that page "Likes" and forum comments don't, and won't, translate into or guarantee a look from an event management company.

I also understand that this is "easier said than done". Really not looking for detractors here, but know what I'm getting into by posting to ST.

I'm certainly open to suggestions on how to get folks behind the idea, especially from any of you who have been involved in bringing a long course race to your community- who to talk to in the city, town halls, etc.

Feel free to email 70.3.CHS@gmail.com with any tips, tricks, or words of encouragement!

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Raising community support to bring a long course race to Charleston, SC! [dmaurich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmaurich wrote:
Title of the post says it all... looking to generate interest and community support in hopes of bringing a long course race to Charleston, SC.

A Facebook page has been created: https://www.facebook.com/...odal=admin_todo_tour
so give it a like and let's see where this goes!

FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm not an RD, just a local guy who thinks Charleston could (easily) support a race, as long as the community is behind it!

I understand that page "Likes" and forum comments don't, and won't, translate into or guarantee a look from an event management company.

I also understand that this is "easier said than done". Really not looking for detractors here, but know what I'm getting into by posting to ST.

I'm certainly open to suggestions on how to get folks behind the idea, especially from any of you who have been involved in bringing a long course race to your community- who to talk to in the city, town halls, etc.

Feel free to email 70.3.CHS@gmail.com with any tips, tricks, or words of encouragement!

Thanks!

Bring money.
Quote Reply
Re: Raising community support to bring a long course race to Charleston, SC! [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring money, got it.

Whatever gets Chad Williamson back to peak fitness, I'm for it... ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Raising community support to bring a long course race to Charleston, SC! [dmaurich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happened to the Tri Charleston half? Fond memories of that race, set a PR there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Charleston is a great location for a destination tri. Tons of hotels, warm water, tons of good restaurants to eat at for pre race meal for significant others, and post race meals for racers. It is a great destination for monied older people, which is triathlons core demographic. Weather is fantastic in October, so you catch Yankees who can train all summer for an open water swim in October. This is a really obvious idea and I cant believe nobody has done it yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the whole Lowcountry of South Carolina, and Charleston is absolutely beautiful.

Where would the swim be? Generally, all of the water in the area is tidal, and the tides tend to be pretty strong. All that water is also about as clear as chocolate milk, but obviously, tastes nothing like chocolate milk.

A great place to start and finish would be on Sullivan's Island, during a calm tide. Then, the riders can bike over the causeway toward Charleston, loop around the aircraft carrier, and then bike around the city. Run course is a different causeway to the city, with a loop in the Battery. Nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest I’m surprised blue sky endurance isn’t all over this already. I’m an eastern NC guy but my wife and I love Charleston. I’m sure I could get a couple of local guys to go down and race.
Quote Reply
Re: Raising community support to bring a long course race to Charleston, SC! [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TryCharleston folded a couple of year ago (I think the last race was in 2016?)... It was held out in Mt. Pleasant at the KOA campground... I think it went under due to low numbers?
Quote Reply
Re: Raising community support to bring a long course race to Charleston, SC! [ckelly22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, BSE will be involved for sure! I work at the College of Charleston and had tried to restart their Collegiate Club, and BSE was one of the first to pledge support! Unfortunately, not enough CofC kids were interested to make an officially recognized club.

Getting people here, I think, wouldn't be a problem- you know Charleston and what we have to offer! I could see folks coming here (if the race was late season) throughout the summer to train on the course and vacation with family (which translates into $$$$). All we need to do now is get the city on board!
ckelly22 wrote:
To be honest I’m surprised blue sky endurance isn’t all over this already. I’m an eastern NC guy but my wife and I love Charleston. I’m sure I could get a couple of local guys to go down and race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude I really hope this works out for you guys. All I have to due is say Charleston and my wife starts packing her bag so we would be there for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Raising community support to bring a long course race to Charleston, SC! [aloys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree! A long course race in Charleston has basically been "hiding in plain sight" and is just waiting for an invested event management company to pounce. I've only lived here for 3 years, and we have a very active triathlon, swimming, cycling, and running communities, and, several races that cater to each of those groups. But, no successful long-course race to date!

In terms of stuff for spectators to do while athletes are on the bike, downtown is where it's at. Museums, the Aquarium, King Street, the Market... no shortage of stuff to entertain while folks are out on the bike. Run course would hit all the landmark hotspots: Ravenel Bridge, Waterfront Park/Pineapple Fountain, Rainbow Row, the Battery, Hampton Park, and on down King Street to finish in Marion Square.

Triathletes in SC who want long course options have been incredibly limited until recently. There's a Toughman in the Upstate, which I've heard good things about. But usually, we're hitting the road to Wilmington, Augusta, or Chattanooga... maybe even down to Haines City or Panama City. I just think that Charleston is perfect for a long course race, and, can easily support one with (as you mentioned) no shortage of hotels and attractions that would keep folks coming back year after year!
aloys wrote:
Yes. Charleston is a great location for a destination tri. Tons of hotels, warm water, tons of good restaurants to eat at for pre race meal for significant others, and post race meals for racers. It is a great destination for monied older people, which is triathlons core demographic. Weather is fantastic in October, so you catch Yankees who can train all summer for an open water swim in October. This is a really obvious idea and I cant believe nobody has done it yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love to race a Full there. Lived in Goose Creek for 2 years while stationed at NPTU Charleston. Got married there and wife has a lot of family and friends there. If they can do a Full Triathlon in Haines City, IMFL 2018, they can figure out Charleston.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Raising community support to bring a long course race to Charleston, SC! [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
I love the whole Lowcountry of South Carolina, and Charleston is absolutely beautiful.

Where would the swim be? Generally, all of the water in the area is tidal, and the tides tend to be pretty strong. All that water is also about as clear as chocolate milk, but obviously, tastes nothing like chocolate milk.

A great place to start and finish would be on Sullivan's Island, during a calm tide. Then, the riders can bike over the causeway toward Charleston, loop around the aircraft carrier, and then bike around the city. Run course is a different causeway to the city, with a loop in the Battery. Nice.

Ideally, the swim would start at the Mt. Pleasant pier, be point to point, and end at Patriot's Point. Transition would be in the parking lot of Patriot's Point.

I've already been in touch with a pretty accomplished local marathon swimmer about timing of the tides. Charleston does host a 2.4 mi & 5 mi OWS race which both swim with the outgoing tide and finish at Patriot's Point. Check out http://lowcountrysplash.com for info on that race!

There's certainly lots to think about, course (and support) wise for a race of this size. Keep up the interest!
Quote Reply
Re: Raising community support to bring a long course race to Charleston, SC! [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I would love to race a Full there. Lived in Goose Creek for 2 years while stationed at NPTU Charleston. Got married there and wife has a lot of family and friends there. If they can do a Full Triathlon in Haines City, IMFL 2018, they can figure out Charleston.

I feel the same way- if other cities can figure out how to manage a one-day race, so can Charleston!

While I was training for IMFL in 2016, I did nothing but map out routes to train on... I've got a whole cache' of them, just need an event management company to listen ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Charleston, hell yeah.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm all for this.

I had some discussions a few years ago for this very thing the biggest problem is the roads.

Anyone who has been to Charleston knows the traffic is brutal especially on the peninsula or in the area of Mt P you're talking about.

Mt P specifically, for the number of people a race brings in is really small potatoes for this town and they had zero interest in helping out with getting a closed course for the roads, and with the traffic density here anything else is too unsafe.

I have said since then the thing to do is to get the Kiawah triathlon to offer a 70.3 distance. Private roads, great setup.

PM me, I live in Mt P, i know the blue sky crew and i'll help however I can.
Quote Reply
Re: Raising community support to bring a long course race to Charleston, SC! [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I can remember SC has been in the Top 5 for worse drivers. They have made #1 a couple years. I remember this being an issue when I was there as well. These days, not many places are 'safe' though.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply