Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Start the Arms Race Back Up
Quote | Reply
https://www.foxnews.com/...weapons-report-warns

reporting Russia and china have hypersonic weapons that to this point, we (the US) can't stop. They can use these to deliver conventional and nuclear weapons at range of up to 1250 miles. The US currently has no effective countermeasures but Lockheed just got a contract for 928million to get busy trying to defend against this threat.

Your only as good as your latest advanced weapon system.
Quote Reply
Re: Start the Arms Race Back Up [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
https://www.foxnews.com/tech/us-unable-to-defend-against-russian-and-chinese-hypersonic-weapons-report-warns

reporting Russia and china have hypersonic weapons that to this point, we (the US) can't stop. They can use these to deliver conventional and nuclear weapons at range of up to 1250 miles. The US currently has no effective countermeasures but Lockheed just got a contract for 928million to get busy trying to defend against this threat.

*You're

That said, it's Fox News. I'm surprised that they're not reporting that the Caravan has hypersonic immigrants that are being flung over the border.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Start the Arms Race Back Up [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.cnbc.com/...y-2020-us-intel.html
CNBC work better for you?

"I want to tell all those who have fueled the arms race over the last 15 years, sought to win unilateral advantages over Russia, introduced unlawful sanctions aimed to contain our country's development: You have failed to contain Russia," Putin said.
Putin added that the new capabilities were "not a bluff."
In an effort to back his bellicose rhetoric, Putin spoke in front of a projection showing video clips of the weapons as well as a simulated strike on the U.S. homeland.

May need Clint Eastwood to get back over there and steal some of these things.
Last edited by: ACE: Dec 17, 18 13:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i fully believe that the US can't defend against true hypersonic missiles.

I dont fully believe that russia or china has operational hypersonic missiles. but if we do i guess thats cool, the US would get to steal tech from them for a change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone think a limited war can happen amongst Super Powers?

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Start the Arms Race Back Up [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gymrat wrote:
Does anyone think a limited war can happen amongst Super Powers?

I assume you mean "conventional war." The answer is, "it depends."

Are we talking about US v. Russia or US v. China? No, that is not going to happen in a conventional war. But, think Korean War and, yeah, that is much more likely.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
https://www.cnbc.com/...y-2020-us-intel.html
CNBC work better for you?

"I want to tell all those who have fueled the arms race over the last 15 years, sought to win unilateral advantages over Russia, introduced unlawful sanctions aimed to contain our country's development: You have failed to contain Russia," Putin said.
Putin added that the new capabilities were "not a bluff."
In an effort to back his bellicose rhetoric, Putin spoke in front of a projection showing video clips of the weapons as well as a simulated strike on the U.S. homeland.

May need Clint Eastwood to get back over there and steal some of these things.

So we are supposed to take a video game as a proof?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
Russia and china have hypersonic weapons that to this point, we (the US) can't stop. They can use these to deliver conventional and nuclear weapons at range of up to 1250 miles. The US currently has no effective countermeasures but Lockheed just got a contract for 928million to get busy trying to defend against this threat.

If the effort to build a counter to hypersonic weapons is anything like our effort to counter ballistic missiles, $928 million is just the first drop in the ocean and we're not going to have an effective system 20 years from now, if ever.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Start the Arms Race Back Up [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I am speaking direct Conflict not small proxy wars. If one side breaks open a Strategic Weapon, the other side will respond with 2. And then escalating.......

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
The US currently has no effective countermeasures but Lockheed just got a contract for 928million to get busy trying to defend against this threat.

I don't think you worded that quite right. Lockheed got a contract to try to develop the same capability, not a defense against it. Though maybe you meant "defend" in terms of game theory, not literally.

Though I still wouldn't be rending my clothes in fear because we don't have a "hypersonic missile." We have 18 Ohio class boomers, with the Columbia under development. If anyone's solved that problem set, it's not publicly known. The commies might be high-fiving after stealth-nuking a carrier group. Good luck with all the Trident-II MIRV's raining down. Last I checked ballistic missiles were also "hypersonic."

Pretty good deterrent, to this day. #MAD
Last edited by: trail: Dec 17, 18 21:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
reporting Russia and china have hypersonic weapons that to this point, we (the US) can't stop.

Who needs to keep up with Russia and China when you're building a wall to keep you safe...
Last edited by: Sanuk: Dec 17, 18 23:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think building hypersonic weapons is that hard.

Building reliable, accurate, relatively inexpensive hypersonic weapons would be crazy difficult.

You might as well just send in a nuke. Probably a lot cheaper and more reliable.
Last edited by: FishyJoe: Dec 18, 18 2:59
Quote Reply
Re: Start the Arms Race Back Up [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
I don't think building hypersonic weapons is that hard.

Building reliable, accurate, relatively inexpensive hypersonic weapons would be crazy difficult.

You might as well just send in a nuke. Probably a lot cheaper and more reliable.

Especially when if a shooting war starts up Russia is toast. They simply don't have the economy to hang with us. They just need enough nukes to make sure a shooting war doesn't start up.
Quote Reply
Re: Start the Arms Race Back Up [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the real arms race is space anyways. If you really want to wreck Russia and the rest of the world, give SpaceX and Blue Origin the money, not the defense contractors who are nothing more greedy bastards mixed with socialized jobs programs.

If you can deliver payload into orbit at a fraction of every other nation on earth, you've won the high ground. There is no more effective weapon than planetary bombardment from space. I know we have a treaty against that type of weapon, but we can call it space mining or research something or the other. You don't even have to spend more money, just kill the SLS immediately and give the money to SpaceX and Blue Origin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not too worry we have this in their backyard :-)

Quote Reply