Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Administrator
Re: School me on comfy saddles [Fresh2death] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every butt is different.

That said, you were probably sitting on the ISM saddle incorrectly.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Fresh2death: Dec 17, 18 10:39
Quote | Reply
Did your fitter discuss saddle comfort with you? How many saddles did you try?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fresh2death wrote:
Honestly just the one because it felt fine for the duration of the fit.

LOL, this person is not a fitter...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Éric is saying is that a good fitter will go through a number of saddles in a session.

I found the ISM pn1.1 good because of the extra softish padding. Like you I have very little padding. Also most saddles do require a break in period for your body to get used to them but they should then disappear once you’re past the initial break in period.

Fresh2death wrote:
Hm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the saddle is the most important part of your bike fit.

Each position, meaning each change in position, each iteration, has an ideal saddle. A saddle that is comfortable in one position might be horrible in another. As such, instruction on how to properly sit on each saddle, in each position, from the fitter to the athlete, is critical. Trial and error and trial and error of *all* the saddles is sometimes necessary, in fact should be a requirement of every fit session.

Also, if you're sitting on your saddle with your sit bones, you're probably not in a good time trial position unless you're Tom Dumoulin.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Dec 17, 18 11:30
Quote Reply
Re: School me on comfy saddles [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
What Éric is saying is that a good fitter will go through a number of saddles in a session.

I found the ISM pn1.1 good because of the extra softish padding. Like you I have very little padding. Also most saddles do require a break in period for your body to get used to them but they should then disappear once you’re past the initial break in period

/\/\
This and your fitter was lazy. Even if the first saddle on the fit bike feels okay the fitter should let you try some other different models and brands. Because that it is the only way to find out and feel if that first is actually the best or if others are better. And when the final position is dialed in you should maybe try some more since if your position changes to more aero your position on the saddle also changes a bit.

But even beyond this if your sitbones hurt you are probably sitting on the saddle the wrong way. Unless you ‘ specify’’ the wrong part as your sit bones. But everybody is different so what might be comfortable for you is another rider torture. Go see a fitter that has a selection of the most used tri models and do a saddle test.

Best,

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mean, without seeing you I have no idea but two of my favorites are Fizik Mistica Large and ISM PN 3.0.

And yes, it's involved and technical. Also, you're not much different than everyone else, there will be a saddle that's right for you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used two different ISM saddles and both were comfortable, but would hurt after about 45 minutes on the trainer. I ordered a custom saddle from meld3d and it has been great! It cost some dollars, but in my opinion is worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fresh2death wrote:
My last bike had an ISM adamo saddle and I found it extremely uncomfortable. I have a strange body in that I weight 190 lbs but I am boney and have no natural padding if you know what I mean. So all this weight is just pushing right down on my sitbones and it hurts. If my last saddle is as good as it gets then great but if there is better option I'd love to hear it. I was thinking about trying a fizik saddle or a fabric saddle?

quite honestly its like try on a pair of running shoes in a store you won't know until you put a few miles in before you really know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Step 1: probably see a new/better fitter

Some LBS will let you try a number of saddles out until you find the right one.

Fresh2death wrote:
Thanks for the help Eric. At this point where would you suggest I go from here? Can you suggest a resource for choosing a saddle (or how to sit on one properly for that matter!) or do you think I am back at square one with a bike fit? I had no idea that something as simple as what I sit on could be so involved and technical!
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: Dec 17, 18 15:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been through tons of saddles, ISM, prologo, Cobb, Specialized Sitero, Dash......I've finally settled on Brooks Cambium C13 Carved for my road bike and a C15 for my gravel/adventure rig. I'm even considering testing the C13 out on my tri bike which currently has a Dash saddle on there which looks amazing, but really isn't very comfortable. The most important thing for me was measuring my sit bones correctly and then choosing the correct width Brooks saddle as they come in 3 widths I think. I have the 145mm width and it is super comfortable. I've ridden double centuries on it without any discomfort. As I'm sure other people will say though....YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sound like you in build. 189, bony ass. went through 6 saddles, finally settled on cobb randee for my speedconcept. I can stay aero as long as I want on that saddle. surprised the heck out of me. koobi saddle on my trek madone, but will flip that to a cobb randee as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, call me old school. As much as the fitters will disagree (although perhaps we use the same principles) I don't think it is the saddle . . . it is more the setup and the fit. In the old days we raced on Selle Italia Flite Saddles (minimal, light, and no padding) wearing just a speedo even in Ironman racing. The trick was making sure the height, tilt, and position of the saddle and the person were the keys to comfort. If setup properly you could be reasonably comfortable on a 2 x 4. Of course we were tougher back then :-)! Seriously, though, just toughening up is part of it.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on comfy saddles [MR2014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MR2014 wrote:
I've been through tons of saddles, ISM, prologo, Cobb, Specialized Sitero, Dash......I've finally settled on Brooks Cambium C13 Carved for my road bike and a C15 for my gravel/adventure rig. I'm even considering testing the C13 out on my tri bike which currently has a Dash saddle on there which looks amazing, but really isn't very comfortable. The most important thing for me was measuring my sit bones correctly and then choosing the correct width Brooks saddle as they come in 3 widths I think. I have the 145mm width and it is super comfortable. I've ridden double centuries on it without any discomfort. As I'm sure other people will say though....YMMV.

I've run lots of saddles over the years and variations of SMPs before settling on the composit, which I loved, but had a desire to run Brooks C15 Carved on my gravel rig and glad I did as I fell in love with them. I sold all my SMPs and kitted out the rest of my road bikes with brooks, my Felt Aero Road has a C13 in 142 and i kind of like that one best. I'm also on a Dash Stage9 on the Da and while I loved the normal width version I ran for several years, I always had issues with chaffing. I swapped over to a narrow right around the time Kiley threw up his saddle battle thread and it was a Godsend. I can rock that thing for hours even on the trainer. Anyhow, thought it interesting we were both rocking the same setups

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Dec 18, 18 8:22
Quote Reply
Re: School me on comfy saddles [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting to hear that the narrow worked out for you. That is my issue with the Dash, it's too wide for me. The Brooks is substantially more narrow when I compare them side by side. I'll have to look into the narrow version.
Quote Reply
Re: School me on comfy saddles [MR2014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the chaffing was the only comfort issue. While that is a huge one, I will say that the Stage9 was a "wow" moment for me and I feel in love with it from the moment I sat on it. So, while the narrow might be a fix for you it also might just be another dead end. What I will add, though, is some bibs (e.g. Castelli's 2014 aero race) exasperated the chaffing issue as the chamois just felt/feels huge. It was to the point I wouldn't even attempt a trainer ride with those bibs before I switched to the narrow. Now, the bibs I wear doesn't really influence me one way or the other, even if I can tell I like one chamois over the other on dash.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Dec 18, 18 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
N=1 anecdata:
I have an ISM Attack because it was super cheap on ebay. Is great on most rides, not problem because I'm probably not going to do distance races. But on occasional long rides it'll chafe me betwixt thigh and sack, leading to a painful sore. There is probably a good dose of conditioning to be done... but this issue with ISMs seems to be semi-common yet rarely discussed.
Nose is cable tied which seemed to help a bit.
Quote Reply