Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clifton 5 fit
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this has been discussed already but I didn't see anything on first glance.

I've been running in a pair of Mach's for the past several months and its time for some new shoes for a couple reasons. Until recently, I haven't been doing a ton of long workouts but have started ramping up for a 30k in January. So the past month+ all my long runs have obviously been 10+ miles. I've started getting a blister on the side of my left foot specifically on my long runs and haven't had this happen until the past 6 weeks or so. So my initial thought is, OK maybe these don't fit my foot shape well enough to consistently put higher mileage runs in them every week. I really love the Hoka shoes and until I got these, had been running in Cliftons for a couple years. I tried on a pair of normal width Cliftons in my size yesterday and it felt like someone had taken a rubber band to my foot even though the length was perfect. I usually had been getting wide Cliftons but even the normal width ones have never fit me this tightly.

So to get to the point, has anyone had a pair of the wide Cliftons and experienced them being narrower than before? I wish they would quit screwing with the fit of this shoe. Bonus points if you have any comparison between the Clifton 5 and the Mach.

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
Gold's Gym Triathlon Coach
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Re: Clifton 5 fit [SpeeDao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All Hoka does is change the way there shoes are btw pairs Clifton to me all feel very different. I loved the Clifton 1 hated the Clifton 2. The Clifton 5 i had and had to return it. They stopped making the Clayton that I loved! I am over this and finally after 3 years have moved away from the entire Hoka brand. Good luck.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get what you're saying about the mach. They are bit narrow in the middle (where metatarsals start) but the toe box is actually pretty wide - they loosened up after a few runs and hasn't been an issue for me training for IMAZ and ramping up volume.
I tried the whole range about 4-5 months ago on the treadmill at the local running store and I chose the mach because they were the lightest and I liked the responsive cushioning. I tried the Clifton 1s 4 years ago and hated them... felt like I was running on sand the whole time.
It also seemed like the mach were less bulkier than the rest and they wouldn't weigh ten pounds after taking water / sweat. They also helped me get over my PF or at least it didn't make it worse.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Clifton 5 fit [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did you move to? Getting fairly annoyed as well with the same models you've noted, plus the Mach.
Quote Reply
Re: Clifton 5 fit [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sacony ISO speed line

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the regular width 5’s. They feel narrower and slightly shorter than my 3’s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pretty much the same boat I'm in. I had a pair of the 3's and loved them, hated the 4's, moved to the Mach and liked it until recently when I started getting into higher mileage. Like someone else said, its got a pretty nice toe box but the center of the shoe right at the base of the metatarsels is just narrow enough to start rubbing. But unfortunately it looks like they are discontinuing the Mach anyways as its listed as closeout on Hoka's website with no replacement. I'm also ready to switch brands entirely. I've been pretty steady for about 6 years maintaining a pair of Saucony Kinvaras that I always love so maybe I'll look into their more cushioned shoes of a similar build and structure.

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which shoe did you switch to? Freedom/Liberty?

Robert Dao
ATC Racing - Austin, TX
@speedao1
@daotraining
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Clifton 3 was awesome (I think I put 400+ miles on at least 5 different pairs of them). Clifton 5 is heavy and firm like a Bondi. I still like the original Clayton's I have. Usually only use them for tempo runs, but they're finally getting up there on mileage. I'm getting a pair of the pegasus turbos for Christmas, but those are too expensive for an everyday training shoe for me. Will prob only use them for long runs.

I would really like to find a reasonably priced shoe that is light and squishy like the Clifton 3 for everyday easy runs.
Last edited by: Sean H: Dec 19, 18 6:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So of the shoes I have...Bondi 6, Saucony Kinvara 8, Mach...the most responsive shoe is the Mach. It can be a fast shoe over a short distance. For me it's not an endurance trainer, hell it takes 50 miles before it even feels good. I wouldn't run in it unless it's a speed workout and your total mileage is less than 7 miles. The longest run I've done in them was 7.5 miles. I was in better shape then I am now for "reasons". The Mach overall is an ok shoe...but I still need some plushness for awhile as I make this recovery. I did purchase some Napali's on sale from Hoka...Runners Warehouse doesn't give you free shipping, so get it direct from Hoka if you're only buying the shoe.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Clifton 5 fit [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang, how did I not know about the Napali?? Looks just like a clifton 3, and the review on the site said it seemed like the same sole on clifton 1 & 3. Just bought a couple pairs.
Quote Reply
Re: Clifton 5 fit [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Dang, how did I not know about the Napali?? Looks just like a clifton 3, and the review on the site said it seemed like the same sole on clifton 1 & 3. Just bought a couple pairs.

And they are on sale at Running Warehouse - take another 10% off with 'FB15D' code. I just bought two pairs of the them along with two pairs of the reissued Clifton 1 - should be another year of running.

I currently have 1800+ miles on a pair of Clifton 1's that are my treadmill shoes. Still going strong!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, since most Hoka shoes seem to be in the premium price point they apparently designed the Napali around the old Clifton 3 to be a more economical shoe to pull people in...sadly they've chosen to discontinue it. If I like it I'll grab another pair in January.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep loved the 3 as well but then came the 4 and the 5 with each one came changes!!!

It’s crazy to me. Saucony has been making the kinvara for 8 years with little change to how it feels, they made a really good shoe and let it be.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to the Saucony Freedom ISO 2 as my main training shoe.

After reading about how the Nike 4% works I get a better idea about how a Hoka my not be helping me much and could even be hurting me.

Quote Reply