Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is Gwen making a comeback? [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct, but I only do a small part of my weekly communication on this forum ;).
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gwen making a comeback? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if she's planning a comeback, but I will remark that I listened to her interview on Triathlon taren's podcast where she talked about her (lack) of running training in HS/college.

She was running like 30-31xx 10Ks on <35mpw, often <25mpw as a pure runner. With no big mileage background or other endurance sport background to speak of. No special coaching before college, she ran on the HS track team 'for fun' and didn't take it super seriously.

Which is why she was interested in the marathon - she said she wanted to see what her body could do with 'real' run training.

Just goes to show how much pure talent there is at the top levels of endurance sports. Yeah, I know it's running, but you'd better believe the same thing occurs in swimming as well, despite the fish who keep saying they have no talent and were swimming D1 at a high level solely due to training.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gwen making a comeback? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I don't know if she's planning a comeback, but I will remark that I listened to her interview on Triathlon taren's podcast where she talked about her (lack) of running training in HS/college.

She was running like 30-31xx 10Ks on <35mpw, often <25mpw as a pure runner. With no big mileage background or other endurance sport background to speak of. No special coaching before college, she ran on the HS track team 'for fun' and didn't take it super seriously.

Which is why she was interested in the marathon - she said she wanted to see what her body could do with 'real' run training.

Just goes to show how much pure talent there is at the top levels of endurance sports. Yeah, I know it's running, but you'd better believe the same thing occurs in swimming as well, despite the fish who keep saying they have no talent and were swimming D1 at a high level solely due to training.

Yes I'm a little tired of the fake humility at the top level. Chrissie Wellington's 3:08 first marathon in 2002 with no formal training. Sarah Piampiano quitting smoking and training for triathlons sometimes on 1hr sleep.

These people work themselves to the bone to be champions, but at the same time, they were freakishly fast when they dipped their toe into the sport.

Please just confess when they did the mile test in 7th grade you ran a 5:12 in dress shoes stop saying you were a nerd and had no sports background :)
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gwen making a comeback? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
I think everyone just needs to relax... it's just a sponsored athlete being sponsored is all. Nothing to see

Is it? Lets look at it this way.... how do you think Nike might feel if they saw a high caliber non-cycling athlete of theirs out on the road cycling?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
I think everyone just needs to relax... it's just a sponsored athlete being sponsored is all. Nothing to see

Is it? Lets look at it this way.... how do you think Nike might feel if they saw a high caliber non-cycling athlete of theirs out on the road cycling?

OK, you win. She's training for the Olympic triathlon in Tokyo.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gwen making a comeback? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...she ran on the HS track team 'for fun' and didn't take it super seriously.

I don't buy it when people say they raced in HS or College "but never took it super seriously". Saying they never took it super seriously is a back door brag, saying they were really good but never tried. it makes a good story but I don't think that things work that way.

Then there are lots of runners (ie. half of the Kenyans and Ethiopians) who always ran for fun and that's when they really developed as runners.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gwen making a comeback? [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:
Gwen cannot be compared to lionel, even in jest. Gwen is smart, successful, open to help, and well liked by those close to her.

Person who has clue 0 what they are talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

I bet Nike would be really upset that one of their athletes is out cross-training. We all know how much Nike hates cross-training. Right, Bo Jackson?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Is she Nike sponsored at the moment? There is no reference to Nike on her website.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gwen making a comeback? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
stevej wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

Is she Nike sponsored at the moment? There is no reference to Nike on her website.

Steve has correctly sussed out that Gwen Jorgensen is back at it training for the Olympic triathlon in Tokyo

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

You mean when she's a contracted athlete to the Bowerman Track Club and her coach maybe, just maybe, programs cross training? This is pretty freaking ignorant, or it's sarcasm...but there's not emoji...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gwen making a comeback? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
stevej wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

You mean when she's a contracted athlete to the Bowerman Track Club and her coach maybe, just maybe, programs cross training? This is pretty freaking ignorant, or it's sarcasm...but there's not emoji...

Emily Infeld does a ton of xt at the moment. Lots of cycling. Lots of alter-g, and lots of elliptical.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gwen making a comeback? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
stevej wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

I bet Nike would be really upset that one of their athletes is out cross-training. We all know how much Nike hates cross-training. Right, Bo Jackson?

It is clearly stipulated in Eliud contract that he shall never walk, bike or swim.

He can only run OR moonwalk.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gwen making a comeback? [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow bold statement please fill me in on this one.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gwen making a comeback? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
...she ran on the HS track team 'for fun' and didn't take it super seriously.

I don't buy it when people say they raced in HS or College "but never took it super seriously". Saying they never took it super seriously is a back door brag, saying they were really good but never tried. it makes a good story but I don't think that things work that way.

Then there are lots of runners (ie. half of the Kenyans and Ethiopians) who always ran for fun and that's when they really developed as runners.

As a high school XC and Track quasi sorta star I'm sure all of us at one time or another knew a soccer team guy in high school who took a stab a our spring track team and ended up running a 4:30 mile in their first go beating all of us by 30-60 seconds...….:) Moments like that always made me feel like WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY YOUNG LIFE :)

But nobody likes to say "Ya know what, I'm a freak of nature and ran a 4:30 mile in my first attempt, I'm lucky"

Everyone wants to tell a blood sweat and tears back story about how they pried themselves out of bed at 5:AM to do a workout before classes start all odds were against them :)
Quote Reply
Re: Is Gwen making a comeback? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
stevej wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

She's on numerous occasions said that they're using her ability to swim and bike to substitute aerobic work that she can't do just by running volume-wise yet(which annoys her that she can't get it all through running). She wasn't up to her 100+ mile weeks in running, so sub in 2 hours on the bike to work the aerobic system... It just so happens she doesn't have to do it on an indoor bike like other athletes because she's got experience riding. Also Colleen Quigley from BTC swims as well (I think less now that she's rid some injuries).

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply

Prev Next