Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do you tip carpet cleaning crews? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty cool story- A friend of mine (Jose) way back in High School was helping his sister put on her wedding. It was a huge Mexican wedding way over 200 hundred people. So he was trying to get porta potties for the event. He called all over, but couldn't find any toilets locally so they to pay extra to get some from out of town.

So right out of HS he saw this as a opportunity, He got family and friends to help pitch in and he bought 5 porta-johns and a pump truck and started a business. It grew fast from there. I am pretty sure Jose was the first person out of our graduation class to become a millionaire. He literally made a million off of other peoples crap and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you tip carpet cleaning crews? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
Pretty cool story- A friend of mine (Jose) way back in High School was helping his sister put on her wedding. It was a huge Mexican wedding way over 200 hundred people. So he was trying to get porta potties for the event. He called all over, but couldn't find any toilets locally so they to pay extra to get some from out of town.

So right out of HS he saw this as a opportunity, He got family and friends to help pitch in and he bought 5 porta-johns and a pump truck and started a business. It grew fast from there. I am pretty sure Jose was the first person out of our graduation class to become a millionaire. He literally made a million off of other peoples crap and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

What a load of sh!t... ;)

(Great story btw)
Quote Reply
Re: Do you tip carpet cleaning crews? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
I tip anyone that performs a service for me. More if they go out of their way to do a good job, less or none if they just go through the motions.

Unless that service is adding a nice winter themed seasonal birth diorama to the lab.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Do you tip carpet cleaning crews? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
getcereal wrote:

I think it is weird, someone will go to a nice restaurant and tip a waiter $20 bucks on a $100 meal for basically being nice, asking you what you want and then bringing it to you.
But will not tip a guy who is driving all over town to get to your place. This dude has to deal with lots of equipment, noise, steam, sweaty balls, often crappy conditions, critical customers...

Sounds like that's the job they signed up for though. I don't tip the guy who comes and cleans outhouses on our construction sites. Should I?

The waiter thing is a weird one. That is something that has evolved far beyond the intended custom and is now a ridiculous standard. Leaving $20 on a $100 for average service is ridiculous. Unless I'm getting a blowjob as part of the deal (and it better be an above average blowjob, with full on Gluck glucking and double hand twist action).

It's not that weird when you look at the economic rationale for tipping -- a solution to the master-servant problem, where the customer is in a better position to evaluate the employee's performance than the employer.

So at a restaurant, the owner doesn't have the resources to monitor each server's performance at each table. Rather, the best person to decide whether the service should be rewarded is the customer. That's not the same in the kitchen, where it's much easier to have someone monitor each plate as it comes out.

Carpet cleaning may be different in that (1) there may be a foreman in charge of the job to make sure it's done right, (2) there's an end product that is much easier to judge, and (3) it's not as high of a volume business as a restaurant.

B.S. Most bosses can't monitor every employer. Plus at a restaurant the customer doesn't get to see or interact with everyone that tip is going to get split across. Plus if its for plus service, 0% should be the norm, So the owner should pay all their employees a fare wage, then those who are good get the bonus tip added on. But now its expected to pay 20%. Which as I have mentioned before, makes no sense if I am paying them for their service. Bringing me a $1 coke is just as hard as bringing me a $10 beer. Yet one gets them $0.20 the other $2. How does that encourage good service?

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Leaving $20 on a $100 for average service is ridiculous. Unless I'm getting a blowjob as part of the deal (and it better be an above average blowjob, with full on Gluck glucking and double hand twist action).

THREAD HIJACK.

Never paid for this service before, but $20 for a top shelf B.J. that sounds cheap to me. So how much does a prostitute charge for full on sex?

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Do you tip carpet cleaning crews? [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Nova wrote:
I tip anyone that performs a service for me. More if they go out of their way to do a good job, less or none if they just go through the motions.

Unless that service is adding a nice winter themed seasonal birth diorama to the lab.

Let it go already.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Do you tip carpet cleaning crews? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:

Thanks that is a pretty cool story, thanks for sharing.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Do you tip carpet cleaning crews? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
Nova wrote:

Let it go already.

Just like your co-worker --- NEVER.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
getcereal wrote:

I think it is weird, someone will go to a nice restaurant and tip a waiter $20 bucks on a $100 meal for basically being nice, asking you what you want and then bringing it to you.
But will not tip a guy who is driving all over town to get to your place. This dude has to deal with lots of equipment, noise, steam, sweaty balls, often crappy conditions, critical customers...

Sounds like that's the job they signed up for though. I don't tip the guy who comes and cleans outhouses on our construction sites. Should I?

The waiter thing is a weird one. That is something that has evolved far beyond the intended custom and is now a ridiculous standard. Leaving $20 on a $100 for average service is ridiculous. Unless I'm getting a blowjob as part of the deal (and it better be an above average blowjob, with full on Gluck glucking and double hand twist action).

It's not that weird when you look at the economic rationale for tipping -- a solution to the master-servant problem, where the customer is in a better position to evaluate the employee's performance than the employer.

So at a restaurant, the owner doesn't have the resources to monitor each server's performance at each table. Rather, the best person to decide whether the service should be rewarded is the customer. That's not the same in the kitchen, where it's much easier to have someone monitor each plate as it comes out.

Carpet cleaning may be different in that (1) there may be a foreman in charge of the job to make sure it's done right, (2) there's an end product that is much easier to judge, and (3) it's not as high of a volume business as a restaurant.

B.S. Most bosses can't monitor every employer. Plus at a restaurant the customer doesn't get to see or interact with everyone that tip is going to get split across. Plus if its for plus service, 0% should be the norm, So the owner should pay all their employees a fare wage, then those who are good get the bonus tip added on. But now its expected to pay 20%. Which as I have mentioned before, makes no sense if I am paying them for their service. Bringing me a $1 coke is just as hard as bringing me a $10 beer. Yet one gets them $0.20 the other $2. How does that encourage good service?

I don't disagree that tipping has morphed over time into something that it wasn't originally intended to be. But that doesn't mean that the economic rationale is wrong. It doesn't mean that it's a perfect solution to the master-servant problem, not that there aren't other ways to solve the problem. The prospect of a tip puts servers in a position whether they have skin in the game, where they pay is at least to some extent dependent on how well they do the job. An alternative would be to disallow tips, pay employees more, hire more supervisors or employ means of monitoring servers, monitor them regularly, discipline or let them go when they do their job properly, and raise prices to cover all these additional costs.

Are you trying to claim that tipping has no relationship to good service, that tipped servers aren't incentivized to provide better service? The prospect of a tip puts servers in a position whether they have skin in the game, where their pay is at least to some extent dependent on how well they do the job.

Have you ever worked at a restaurant or bar, especially one with the potential for good tips? If so, then you know that tipping drives good service. I suspect it's better at driving good service than simple self-satisfaction for a job well done or even the threat of discipline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:

Are you trying to claim that tipping has no relationship to good service, that tipped servers aren't incentivized to provide better service?

Yes, the state of tipping in the US no longer has anything to do with service. Tip jars now sit it seems at every register in America, ok maybe I have not seen them at retail stores (YET). Come on the local MODS pizza shop asks for Tips on their receipts. So does the local Little Ceasars, really your handing me a friggin box and you want a tip oh you handed me that box so well.

AlanShearer wrote:

The prospect of a tip puts servers in a position whether they have skin in the game, where their pay is at least to some extent dependent on how well they do the job.

If they actually believed that or cared. If your working at a restaurant that have a bill for 2 in the $30 - $40 range, so the difference in a normal 20% tip and exceptional 30% tip is $2. over a lets say 1hr dinner Really there going to work extra hard for that $2bucks that they may or may not get. I think waitstaff give there best each day and HOPE they get compensated. As where most employees give there best every day and WILL get compensated for it.

AlanShearer wrote:

Have you ever worked at a restaurant or bar, especially one with the potential for good tips? If so, then you know that tipping drives good service. I suspect it's better at driving good service than simple self-satisfaction for a job well done or even the threat of discipline.

Yes back room, end of night I was given some cash as I left as my split of the tip. NO CLUE what service the people got, they had no clue if I had done my job well. In general the waitstaff all had about the same amount of tips. The bosses knew who were not good waitstaff and fired them or restrained them. The amount of there tip jar was not used that I know of to decide who was good, it was very clear by watching them for 20 min.

The problem your story has is, not everyone tips equally, so the waitstaff have no idea if they are starting off with someone who refuses to tip, someone who gives 30% regardless, or someone who thinks 10% is the norm or 15%, or 20%. etc...

But what I do know is as a customer it makes me uncomfortable when I only order a water, and not some $15 drink. It makes for stress when the bill comes and my wife and I can not agree on how much to give as a tip. It is one of a few things that has driven me to prefer to dine carry out. (It really has been surprising to find out how many restaurants will do carry out if you ask)

Oh and AMAZINGLY every other country seems to be able to get Great service in their restaurants without tipping. Wonder why it works everywhere else but the US?

Just Triing
Last edited by: DavHamm: Dec 17, 18 16:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the state of tipping in the US no longer has anything to do with service.

I agree. In fact, I already recognized that the practice has morphed into something that it didn't use to be. Most likely, it started out as a reward or incentive for good service, then was taken advantage of by employers in order to reduce payroll costs, and then became a social norm. But the fact that it's often a social norm, and may not always have the provide the same incentive that it used to, doesn't mean that it can't still service as a powerful driver for good service.

If they actually believed that or cared.

Servers at restaurants where tipping makes a difference or at bars do believe that and do care. I'll agree that the incentive may not be what it used to be, because, as I've said above, things have changed. But that doesn't mean that there aren't many situations where tipping still drives good service.

Working in the back room doesn't have the same master-servant disconnect problem. There's a reason the kitchen and others in the back don't get the same in tips. In many cases, they don't get tipped at all. But I'm guessing that you got change compared to what the servers were taking in.

And sure, not all customers tip the same. That's not a problem to my "story." (By the way, it's not my story -- it's rather a well known economic analysis to tipping and how it evolved.) Servers work based on an anticipated tip from an average customer, knowing that each customer will be different.

But what I do know is as a customer it makes me uncomfortable when I only order a water, and not some $15 drink. It makes for stress when the bill comes and my wife and I can not agree on how much to give as a tip. It is one of a few things that has driven me to prefer to dine carry out. (It really has been surprising to find out how many restaurants will do carry out if you ask)

You need to get over yourself.
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Dec 17, 18 17:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
But that doesn't mean that there aren't many situations where tipping still drives good service.

So if there pay were brought up to the rest of employee's and they were not getting tips, they would not work as hard? Again explain why this doesn't seem to be a problem in any other country?

AlanShearer wrote:

Working in the back room doesn't have the same master-servant disconnect problem. There's a reason the kitchen and others in the back don't get the same in tips. In many cases, they don't get tipped at all. But I'm guessing that you got change compared to what the servers were taking in.

Not sure what you mean, I think Front house staff got 60% of the night tips, back of the house got 40%. We had no control yet 40% of what folks were tipping went to people they never saw. Now that I type that, I think all tips got combined then split out so as a customer your tip went to everyone working in the house that night.

AlanShearer wrote:

Maybe I am the only one in the country that acts that way, but I don't think I am special or unique and bet there are a lot of customers who hate the whole tipping movement in this country and do things to avoid it. But hey maybe I am Unique and special.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
But that doesn't mean that there aren't many situations where tipping still drives good service.

So if there pay were brought up to the rest of employee's and they were not getting tips, they would not work as hard? Again explain why this doesn't seem to be a problem in any other country?

AlanShearer wrote:

Not sure what you mean, I think Front house staff got 60% of the night tips, back of the house got 40%. We had no control yet 40% of what folks were tipping went to people they never saw. Now that I type that, I think all tips got combined then split out so as a customer your tip went to everyone working in the house that night.

AlanShearer wrote:

Maybe I am the only one in the country that acts that way, but I don't think I am special or unique and bet there are a lot of customers who hate the whole tipping movement in this country and do things to avoid it. But hey maybe I am Unique and special.

No your not.
A lot of people I know stopped going out a lot because they got tired of paying $30 a meal. So now they just order those meal kits and claim they are pretty good and healthier. Besides it gives them more time to binge watch the favorite Netflix episodes while drinking their favorite reasonable priced beverage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:

I don't disagree that tipping has morphed over time into something that it wasn't originally intended to be. But that doesn't mean that the economic rationale is wrong. It doesn't mean that it's a perfect solution to the master-servant problem, not that there aren't other ways to solve the problem. The prospect of a tip puts servers in a position whether they have skin in the game, where they pay is at least to some extent dependent on how well they do the job. An alternative would be to disallow tips, pay employees more, hire more supervisors or employ means of monitoring servers, monitor them regularly, discipline or let them go when they do their job properly, and raise prices to cover all these additional costs.

Are you trying to claim that tipping has no relationship to good service, that tipped servers aren't incentivized to provide better service? The prospect of a tip puts servers in a position whether they have skin in the game, where their pay is at least to some extent dependent on how well they do the job.

I have worked at restaurants and I don't think it is as simple as saying tips incentivize good service.

What I found is that hard working people, worked hard and reaped the benefits of getting good tips.

Lazy people, poor multitaskers, those without good social skills, etc, did not. They just kept on being bad servers and reaped the benefits of average or sub average tips. But they still got tips, and the prospect of changing their behavior for better tips didn't seem to be a factor.

In fact, I would argue that tipping behavior getting out of hand is driven by the behavior of the bad servers moreso then the behavior of the good servers. The 'standard' tip has gone from 10%, to 12, to 15, and now 18-20%. Has service as a whole gotten better? Are servers required to do more now then 15 years ago? No. But shitty servers keep complaining about how little money they are bringing in, and essentially pushing the minium acceptable tip higher instead of working to improve their serving.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

In fact, I would argue that tipping behavior getting out of hand is driven by the behavior of the bad servers moreso then the behavior of the good servers. The 'standard' tip has gone from 10%, to 12, to 15, and now 18-20%. Has service as a whole gotten better? Are servers required to do more now then 15 years ago? No. But shitty servers keep complaining about how little money they are bringing in, and essentially pushing the minium acceptable tip higher instead of working to improve their serving.

Excellent point. I mean when normal was 10% you could give and many probably did double it (or more) for excellent service and you were giving 20 - 25%. Now that 20% is norm do people really give 40-50% for excellent service I doubt it. So the gab between service, and rewarding excellence is shrinking.

Just Triing
Quote Reply

Prev Next