Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strava "Indoor Cycling" not counting for club leaderboard
Quote | Reply
So I use a direct drive "dumb" trainer for indoor cycling (LeMond Revolution) with a Wahoo Elemnt. For the time and power etc. data to show up in Strava I have to change the activity to "Indoor Cycling," if it stays as the default "Ride" then it's like a 2 second activity with no other data or something. I have no distance data for these rides (no rear wheel, no speed/dist sensor)

This works fine for my Strava training log, but I just noticed that these Indoor Cycling rides are not counting towards a triathlon club leaderboard(time leaderboard, obviously I'm not looking for them to register on distance leaderboards). Is this problem:

-A Strava issue that we can't fix?

-A setup issue in the Strava club that maybe isn't counting Indoor Cycling?

-Or is there something I can change in the activity for it to register everywhere?

p.s. It seems like Zwift rides (which I don't do) are classified as "Rides" by Strava, not "Indoor Cycling." This makes some sense since they have speed/distance data.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava "Indoor Cycling" not counting for club leaderboard [Nelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course. For non-Zwift rides indoor cycling, there are no routes and thus no segments. As a result, no club leaderboard. Otherwise you will be able to cheat on the time leaderboard just by turning on your head unit and leave it on until the battery runs out without doing any pedaling.

I do my indoor training on a set of dumb rollers with a rear PT hub, and my time, speed, distance, cadence, heart rate, and power all show up fine on Strava.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava "Indoor Cycling" not counting for club leaderboard [Nelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the opposite problem, my Kickr/Trainerroad workouts including speed and distance were showing up on club leaderboards on Strava, which led to me being accused of Strava doping by somebody as average speeds were ~25mph regardless of power! (think the Kickr speed is purely determined by gear and cadence). I had to start marking my indoor rides as Private to avoid them showing up on the leaderboards. To be honest, before that I had no idea anybody was even looking at the leaderboards, let alone that they might get upset about being pipped to a top spot by somebody doing indoor riding.

If your personal log is fine then what's the issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you need to get a speed sensor. speed/distance will be irrelevant (just as it is with any indoor riding not named zwift), but that's a non issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava "Indoor Cycling" not counting for club leaderboard [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need a speed sensor.

I don’t care that my 21 to 24 mph avg goes on any board when the power output more than justifies it riding alone versus a shmuck sitting in a fast paceline for hours.

I don’t Zwift but am not offended by those folks miles counting.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava "Indoor Cycling" not counting for club leaderboard [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies. I'll try a speed sensor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this issue if I record with my Garmin using the regular cycling mode by accident and change it to indoor later. If I start the activity in indoor mode, it always counts towards the leaderboards. Make sure you to record your activity with GPS off
Quote Reply
Re: Strava "Indoor Cycling" not counting for club leaderboard [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohh interesting, thanks for the post

jazzymusicman wrote:
I have this issue if I record with my Garmin using the regular cycling mode by accident and change it to indoor later. If I start the activity in indoor mode, it always counts towards the leaderboards. Make sure you to record your activity with GPS off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nelo wrote:

BTW, are you aware that there's a magnet embedded in the LeMond Revolution pulley that can be used to trigger a magnetic speed sensor? If you look close, you should find it.

LeMond used to sell one that mounted to the 2 tabs at the top of the "pylon" for use with their Power Pilot head unit. It would probably be hard to find one of those...but, no worries, any old ANT+ magnetic speed sensor would work there just as well. I actually rigged up a Garmin sensor there once with double-sided tape prior to receiving the LeMond sensor. For rollout, just use what you normally would use for an on-the-road setup.

Interestingly enough, I just recently discovered that even though the LeMond sensor is ANT+, the Strava app on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) doesn't "see" it when I search for sensors...not quite sure why.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Strava "Indoor Cycling" not counting for club leaderboard [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Nelo wrote:

BTW, are you aware that there's a magnet embedded in the LeMond Revolution pulley that can be used to trigger a magnetic speed sensor? If you look close, you should find it.

LeMond used to sell one that mounted to the 2 tabs at the top of the "pylon" for use with their Power Pilot head unit. It would probably be hard to find one of those...but, no worries, any old ANT+ magnetic speed sensor would work there just as well. I actually rigged up a Garmin sensor there once with double-sided tape prior to receiving the LeMond sensor. For rollout, just use what you normally would use for an on-the-road setup.

Interestingly enough, I just recently discovered that even though the LeMond sensor is ANT+, the Strava app on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S5) doesn't "see" it when I search for sensors...not quite sure why.

Thanks Tom. Yeah I was aware of the magnet on the flywheel. I just had a thought, I wonder if the LeMond Wattbox could be used as a speed sensor without using the Wattbox power numbers (I have crank based power that I'd like to use as the power values). This is on a Wahoo Elemnt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nelo wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Nelo wrote:

Thanks Tom. Yeah I was aware of the magnet on the flywheel. I just had a thought, I wonder if the LeMond Wattbox could be used as a speed sensor without using the Wattbox power numbers (I have crank based power that I'd like to use as the power values). This is on a Wahoo Elemnt.

I don't know...I'm pretty sure the Wattbox transmits over ANT+ and mounts in the same place a speed sensor would mount. I don't know if Zwift would allow you to choose it for the speed output and then another power meter for power?

In any case, unless you already have a Wattbox (or know where to get one cheap), you're probably better off just putting an ANT+ speed sensor on there. I found a GPLama video that discusses this a bit: https://www.youtube.com/...oBzTnwdQjyyn9yqq6AU8

Quote Reply
Re: Strava "Indoor Cycling" not counting for club leaderboard [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
I don't know...I'm pretty sure the Wattbox transmits over ANT+ and mounts in the same place a speed sensor would mount. I don't know if Zwift would allow you to choose it for the speed output and then another power meter for power?

In any case, unless you already have a Wattbox (or know where to get one cheap), you're probably better off just putting an ANT+ speed sensor on there.

I do have a Wattbox, so I can experiment. And I currently don't use Zwift, I just want my LeMond indoor rides to show up on club leaderboards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nelo wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

In any case, unless you already have a Wattbox (or know where to get one cheap), you're probably better off just putting an ANT+ speed sensor on there.

I do have a Wattbox, so I can experiment. And I currently don't use Zwift, I just want my LeMond indoor rides to show up on club leaderboards

Aaah...I see.

Yeah, you'll need to see if the Wahoo head unit will grab the speed signal from the wattbox and allow you to keep using the crank-based PM for power. Otherwise, you'll need to graft on a speed sensor.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If memory serves, it's actually a Strava settings thing. Individual challenges, group boards, etc. can choose whether or not to include virtual cycling mileage. Up until last year, you couldn't even use zwift miles towards many of the Strava challenges, they have started allowing them for select challenges, depending on what the sponsor of the challenge wishes to allow...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Aaah...I see.

Yeah, you'll need to see if the Wahoo head unit will grab the speed signal from the wattbox and allow you to keep using the crank-based PM for power. Otherwise, you'll need to graft on a speed sensor.

UPDATE: The elemnt does grab the speed signal from the wattbox and the power signal from my P2M. I actually couldn't find a wattbox power signal when I searched for sensors on the elemnt. I don't need the wattbox power right now so I haven't worked too hard to troubleshoot that....

With the speed signal I can keep the elemnt setting on "outdoor ride" and Strava plays nice with the file. This is important because I would often forget to change the ride type on the head unit before I started the ride, causing my Strava issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava "Indoor Cycling" not counting for club leaderboard [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely, shred for 90 minutes on the trainer versus sitting at the back of a fast bunch and its the trainer guy who gets the miles discounted.
Quote Reply