Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gas Logs - Vented or Non-vented
Quote | Reply
In our recently purchased home we have a gas fireplace, which hasn't been used in about a decade and is need of replacing. I wanted to get my wife one as a present with a remote control (always thought that would be cool). I need to decide vented or non-vented. I don't think we'll be using this for heat, since my assumption is that gas probably costs just as much as electricity to heat as our HVAC. So I'm leaning towards vented, since some have said non-vented can smell and supposedly the vented look nicer.

Anyone have opinions on these?
Quote Reply
Re: Gas Logs - Vented or Non-vented [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We recently did a renovation and went with a vent-less unit sense we moved the fireplaces location and moved it to an interior wall.

The smell gets to me when just the pilot light is lit, but not when the fireplace is going. I just turn the pilot light off when not in use, and it only takes a few seconds more to light everything when we want to turn on the fireplace. No big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a chimney then by all means go with vented. Less smell (any use of gas will smell some), better flames, more heat. I have been told, have not seen evidence, that non-vented will ruin any artwork on your walls you may have. The remote does make it nice, not only to turn on and off, but to adjust the flame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vented always look better and there's virtually zero odor, not a lot of heat is kept in the room as it obviously goes right up the chimney, it does warm objects or people with radiant heat so you do get some heat benefit.

Vent Free
-Great heat
-99% efficient
-Odor always present
-Terrible for people with allergies or respiratory issues

Vented
-Minimal heat
-Very realistic appearance
-No odor
Quote Reply
Re: Gas Logs - Vented or Non-vented [Chilybil23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chilybil23 wrote:
Vented always look better and there's virtually zero odor, not a lot of heat is kept in the room as it obviously goes right up the chimney, it does warm objects or people with radiant heat so you do get some heat benefit.

Vent Free
-Great heat
-99% efficient
-Odor always present
-Terrible for people with allergies or respiratory issues

Vented
-Minimal heat
-Very realistic appearance

-No odor[/quote]

I beg to differ on the "minimal heat" statement.

We retrofitted a fireplace w/ a natural gas, remote controlled, thermostat control vented unit several years ago. Basically an L-shaped house, so we can turn off central heat, use the gas in the most used back room, and with the blower-assisted factor, my wifey can be as toasty ass needed from the forced air factor.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're thinking of non-vented, make sure they are legal where you live. We just moved to CA last summer and when researching what to do with our fireplace, discovered that non-vented were not allowed. Not sure of other areas. I personally would have gone with non-vented if allowed to get that heat if needed.
Quote Reply