Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The $1.1 million dollar Nissan
Quote | Reply
One thing about the Japanese automobiles is that although they can be technological marvels, they never get the styling right. They need to hire some Italians to work in their design department. I think the only Japanese car that ever really nailed the styling was the original Datsun 240Z and that was a long time ago.

https://www.cnn.com/...an-gt-r50/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: The $1.1 million dollar Nissan [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
One thing about the Japanese automobiles is that although they can be technological marvels, they never get the styling right. They need to hire some Italians to work in their design department. I think the only Japanese car that ever really nailed the styling was the original Datsun 240Z and that was a long time ago.

My oldest son and I were talking about what would be "just because I can afford it" car. Surprisingly, he wants a Datsun 240z - he would pull the engine and put something else in it (he lost me with this). I told him to ask his grandfather how good his 240z was, before he considered anything like this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

Are you saying you liked the Italian styling of the GT-R50?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: The $1.1 million dollar Nissan [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

My oldest son and I were talking about what would be "just because I can afford it" car. Surprisingly, he wants a Datsun 240z - he would pull the engine and put something else in it (he lost me with this). I told him to ask his grandfather how good his 240z was, before he considered anything like this.

The common conversion was a Chevy 350 V8. You can probably still buy the conversion kit. I'd keep it original. For years the 240Z flew under the radar in the classic car market but values have taking off in the last few years so dropping in a V8 will decrease the value. Plus you could get a lot of power out of that inline six with lots of period era aftermarket performance parts still available.
Quote Reply
Re: The $1.1 million dollar Nissan [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

Are you saying you liked the Italian styling of the GT-R50?

Holy shit, I missed that. Feel kinda dumb. The side profile doesn't look Italian to me. Looks more like a cross between a Mustang and Challenger. The Italians are losing their touch. For $1.1 million it doesn't look too special IMHO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The Italians are losing their touch. For $1.1 million it doesn't look too special IMHO.

From the looks, I'm guessing the Italians had their hands tied and were instructed that it had to retain a GT-R look to it.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
they never get the styling right.

Really? Acura NSX not pretty? Lexus LFA not sexy? Nissan Skyline GTR not a classy, understated bombshell?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

The common conversion was a Chevy 350 V8. You can probably still buy the conversion kit. I'd keep it original. For years the 240Z flew under the radar in the classic car market but values have taking off in the last few years so dropping in a V8 will decrease the value. Plus you could get a lot of power out of that inline six with lots of period era aftermarket performance parts still available.

If he's a kid, he'll probably be considering an RB26DET or similar out of a skyline. 2.6L inline 6, DOHC, twin turbo. 280hp stock, easy 400+ after tuning.

Or maybe an SR20DET redtop if he wants the 4 banger.
Quote Reply
Re: The $1.1 million dollar Nissan [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
they never get the styling right.

Really? Acura NSX not pretty? Lexus LFA not sexy? Nissan Skyline GTR not a classy, understated bombshell?

Friend of mine had one of the early originals. Only the Japanese could make a boring super car. Too perfect with no quirks and not that good looking. Way more practical than say a Ferrari 308, but which one created the most passion? The gen 2 was just plain fugly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

Only the idle rich have time for these cars. I go to industry auto auctions regularly. Around here, you can get rich selling the $4K to $6K car. That thing would sit on a lot far longer than 90 days and end up at the auction anyway. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For $1.1 mil I'd rather get this SCG 003. Saw it racing at COTA a few weeks ago. They have a street legal version.
Quote Reply
Re: The $1.1 million dollar Nissan [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would get you about a third of this:

https://www.evo.co.uk/...gine-specs-announced

It would get you all of one of these:

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/13077/porsche-911-reimagined-by-singer-vehicle-design-review
Last edited by: Andrewmc: Dec 16, 18 10:13
Quote Reply
Re: The $1.1 million dollar Nissan [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The WEC is headed towards hypercar in the top class. That is what SCG is aiming at. Would be interested to see if Aston and Bugatti participate.
Quote Reply
Re: The $1.1 million dollar Nissan [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The singers are amazing. Very different to a hypercare
Quote Reply
Re: The $1.1 million dollar Nissan [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

If he's a kid, he'll probably be considering an RB26DET or similar out of a skyline. 2.6L inline 6, DOHC, twin turbo. 280hp stock, easy 400+ after tuning.

A 240Z weighs about 2300 lbs... it doesn't take much hp to get an impressive power to weight ratio. 250-300 HP in one of them is more than enough. 400 or more HP in one of them is silly.

Chevy Small Block or LS V8 swap is the cheapest way to add power. LS is light and high HP. It is really a fantastic engine.
SR20 is brand "correct," light, you can mount it behind the front axle. Many of the cool kids like this swap. 300-350 HP very doable. 400 HP with upgraded internals.
RB26, again brand "correct" is popular because it is an inline 6 like the original L Series. It likes a turbo and you can get crazy HP out of it. A bit heavier than the other options.
VQ (V6 out of the 350Z) swaps are becoming more popular in the S30 chassis, and compact so it can be behind the front axle.
L Series (original stock engine) can get 300+ HP, but it is going to cost you way more than other options. (520 hp out of an L28ET L Series 2.8 liter, Electronic fuel injection, Turbo is possible -although that is bored and stroked to 3.2 liters)

But, I'm keeping my numbers matching L24 in my 240Z. I do need to get it overhauled- it's 48 years old and still has great compression tests, but it is 48 years old) and when I do, it will be bored and stoked to 2.7L, should be good to get about 230-240 HP. Considering fueling options of triple carbs or Jenvey fuel injection that looks like a Weber DCOE carb that helps get there.
Again with only 2300 lbs to move around, that's more than enough and nearly 2x the original spec 125 HP.

And about the Nissan in the OP, meh.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: The $1.1 million dollar Nissan [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
The singers are amazing. Very different to a hypercare

If I could afford any car, I'd get a Singer 911... and drive it daily.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: The $1.1 million dollar Nissan [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dad owned a 240Z when I was in high school. I don't really know much of the specs or even what year it was.

I did use it as a daily driver for a few weeks when I was between cars. It had some odd quirks (like a manual choke) that forced the 16 year old me to be a better driver. One nice thing about it was that it was a very easy manual to learn on. Almost impossible to stall. If you were easy on the clutch, you didn't even need to give it gas to get it going.

The first time in the rain was a near disaster. The rear tires were near bald and there is no weight on the back end. I had to make a left across traffic and up a hill. I gunned the engine, popped the clutch and ended up swinging the back end around. It would have been a slick looking u-turn if that was what I was going for.

But the kicker was that this particular car would pop out of first gear unless you physically held the shifter in place. Which was all fine and good if you were going straight. But when trying to make right turns out of an intersection, holding the stick in 1st while wrestling with the non-power steering could be a workout.
Quote Reply
Re: The $1.1 million dollar Nissan [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

Only the idle rich have time for these cars. I go to industry auto auctions regularly. Around here, you can get rich selling the $4K to $6K car. That thing would sit on a lot far longer than 90 days and end up at the auction anyway. ;-)

I'm the first to admit that even if I had an extra 1.1 million kicking around the last thing I'd spend it on is a car, unless it was some obscure classic that you knew for sure is going to appreciate, but that market is crazy. I figure it'll crash big time eventually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The VQ engines are great.
I had an Infiniti FX.
I strapped on Jim Wolf twin turbos and got 400 HP at the wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

A 240Z weighs about 2300 lbs... it doesn't take much hp to get an impressive power to weight ratio. 250-300 HP in one of them is more than enough. 400 or more HP in one of them is silly.

Chevy Small Block or LS V8 swap is the cheapest way to add power. LS is light and high HP. It is really a fantastic engine.
SR20 is brand "correct," light, you can mount it behind the front axle. Many of the cool kids like this swap. 300-350 HP very doable. 400 HP with upgraded internals.
RB26, again brand "correct" is popular because it is an inline 6 like the original L Series. It likes a turbo and you can get crazy HP out of it. A bit heavier than the other options.
VQ (V6 out of the 350Z) swaps are becoming more popular in the S30 chassis, and compact so it can be behind the front axle.
L Series (original stock engine) can get 300+ HP, but it is going to cost you way more than other options. (520 hp out of an L28ET L Series 2.8 liter, Electronic fuel injection, Turbo is possible -although that is bored and stroked to 3.2 liters)

But, I'm keeping my numbers matching L24 in my 240Z. I do need to get it overhauled- it's 48 years old and still has great compression tests, but it is 48 years old) and when I do, it will be bored and stoked to 2.7L, should be good to get about 230-240 HP. Considering fueling options of triple carbs or Jenvey fuel injection that looks like a Weber DCOE carb that helps get there.
Again with only 2300 lbs to move around, that's more than enough and nearly 2x the original spec 125 HP.

And about the Nissan in the OP, meh.

All good points. I've always been partial to "brand correct" when feasible.

But too much power? Ain't no such thing... :-)

And agree about the OP Nissan. Very meh to me as well.
Quote Reply
Re: The $1.1 million dollar Nissan [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But too much power?

Who said too much? Silly and crazy. Certainly in a nearly 50 year old car with no modern car control systems.

Quote:
Ain't no such thing... :-)

There is a such a thing... and Its when you exceed available traction. It means you need more tire or more tires putting power down.

Maybe that’s why Nissan in the GT-R went all wheel drive (nearly 30 years ago in the R32) and why so modern high performance cars have all wheel drive and sophisticated launch control systems.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Quote:

But too much power?

Who said too much? Silly and crazy. Certainly in a nearly 50 year old car with no modern car control systems.

Quote:

Ain't no such thing... :-)

There is a such a thing... and Its when you exceed available traction. It means you need more tire or more tires putting power down.

Maybe that’s why Nissan in the GT-R went all wheel drive (nearly 30 years ago in the R32) and why so modern high performance cars have all wheel drive and sophisticated launch control systems.

You're not going to get any argument from me. Lots of power makes it extremely hard to use and extremely unnecessary for us mere mortals.

I don't think launch and traction control is required, but (obviously) most people wouldn't be able to exploit big power without it. Hell, most people aren't able to handle any sliding or wheelspin at all
Last edited by: Ringmaster: Dec 16, 18 14:35
Quote Reply