Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

More recommendations for my new favorite city: New Orleans
Quote | Reply
I'm currently visiting New Orleans. Been here since Wednesday evening. Amazing food! Really great place. Staying at Gravier and Carondelet. We're utilizing RTA and Uber and our feet to get around.

I'm hoping that some New Orleanians or other STers who frequent here can chime in with some other suggestions.

We've been to:

Mandina's
Cochon
Peche
Napoleon House

Those have been most of our main meals. We've been to some other places in the Garden District and around just for quick bites, etc. Other places we have on our radar:

Acme Oyster House
Sylvain
Felix's Restaurant & Oyster Bar

What else is there that we should seek out and knock off our list? What's a can't-miss food spot?

As for sights, well, I think we're ticking off the main things and/or plan to do them...

WWII Museum ... done
Cafe Du Monde ... done
French Quarter ... done / in progress
Frenchmen Street and jazz house/bar ... not done yet.
Street car rides ... done
Garden District ... done
City Park ... yet to visit
Metairie Cemetery ... yet to visit
Drag show ... still to do.

What else??

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: More recommendations for my new favorite city: New Orleans [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went last year and really enjoyed it. We went to the zoo and aquarium and enjoyed that, though it was cold out and many of the African plains animals were in their shelters.

We had a fantastic breakfast at Ruby Slipper, and a great shrimp Po-boy at Parkway Bakery. We got some steamed seafood (take-out) from Cajun Seafood and enjoyed that, though it was messy.

There is a square in the French Quarter where artists display their wares and musicians perform. That was one of my favorite parts of the trip.

We've talked about going back in the spring before or after Mardi Gras.
Quote Reply
Re: More recommendations for my new favorite city: New Orleans [Ready4Launch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of Mulate's.

https://mulates.com/

ETA - and I agree, I love New Orleans.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Dec 15, 18 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: More recommendations for my new favorite city: New Orleans [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
I went last year and really enjoyed it. We went to the zoo and aquarium and enjoyed that, though it was cold out and many of the African plains animals were in their shelters.
Yes, both the aquarium and zoo are worth visiting. Lily’s in the garden district has good Vietnamese food with a Cajun twist.

Quote | Reply
What else is there that we should seek out and knock off our list?
- A swamp tour....choose a smaller more intimate experience to get closer to the action and more of a local experience.
- Rock n Bowl....the most fun you'll ever have at a bowling alley.

What's a can't-miss food spot?
Bayona in the French Quarter at 430 Dauphine. You will NOT be disappointed! Unbelievable food, fantastic service, amazing ambience.

Cheers,
@Kid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can remember, what did you order at the restaurants? If I can't be there, I can try and cook it for myself at home.
Quote Reply
Re: More recommendations for my new favorite city: New Orleans [atkid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, you haven't even scratched the surface yet. No visit to NO is complete without a trip to Central Grocery for a Mufi, since today is sunday, brunch at Brennans, be sure you dine at the bar at Antione's(no reservation) and do have a Sazerac while you wait. Trust me. Something about Mimosas in the morning gets the day started.
Quote Reply
Re: More recommendations for my new favorite city: New Orleans [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Dude, you haven't even scratched the surface yet. No visit to NO is complete without a trip to Central Grocery for a Mufi, since today is sunday, brunch at Brennans, be sure you dine at the bar at Antione's(no reservation) and do have a Sazerac while you wait. Trust me. Something about Mimosas in the morning gets the day started.

After you pick up the Mufi, hit the liquor store right next to it for a tall can or two of beer and then head the 2 blocks to Jackson Square and find a bench to enjoy it... if you choose the day right, there will be music aplenty to dine to. Hit up the Tabasco store in the square for a few bottles of Family Reserve... well worth the extra couple of bucks (to me, anyway, I just ordered more online since I ran out!)
Quote Reply
Re: More recommendations for my new favorite city: New Orleans [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:

Yep - did the Muffuletas too.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been there once before. No desire to ever go back.
For me - If the best thing about a city/destination is the food- then the rest of the place sucks.
A beach, architecture, museums, history - These are reasons (for me- in this order) to visit a city.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Years ago when I was in college we went for a trade convention.
We saw a hot dog vendor drop a bun in the gutter on Bourbon Street. He looked around to see if anyone was watching, picked up the bun, wiped it on his katsup and mustard stained apron and put it back on the cart.
A buddy who missed all that got a hot dog and headed over to us.
Like good buddies do, we waited until it was half eaten before we told him the story.
Quote Reply