Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Work dinner- who pays? Proper way to handle this? [SRQ_3sport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRQ_3sport wrote:
DJRed wrote:
jharris wrote:
So, my best customer wants to get together for a work/ holiday dinner. I have two contacts from this company and I am meeting with both and also bringing my operations manager. The customer also invited 2 other people I have no met before. It is another vendor of theirs. So, my customer is meeting with 2 of their vendors, me, and them.

I have no problem paying for us 4, my employee and I and my 2 customers. Although, I don’t want to pay for the other vendor that I don’t know.

A- Do I just pay for everyone to avoid looking cheap?

B- Do I wait til the bill comes and just say I will contribute X to the bill (about 75% of the bill)

C- upon introduction to the other vendor, should I just tell them, I’m gonna treat so and so tonight , so your off the hook (ha ha- make it funny)

What to do? Come on Lavender room- I know you have the answer!

Without reading any other responses, my approach to business meals is:
  1. The most senior person at the table from the paying firm immediately grabs the check.
  2. If you are going to grab the check, grab the check. Leave it to the others to step up and offer their share. Check splitting and "who had the extra mushrooms" crap is a bad look among friends. It's awful in business. You just need to know immediately what your response will be. In any event, if you are going to check split, it's presumably on credit cards, let everyone else go while you sort it out with the restaurant and your co-payer. Tell the server you'll walk your guests to the door and then settle-up.

I always see the junior person pays the tab because the senior one typically approves the expenses for that person. Especially if it might be pushing the limits.

At my company, this is a big no no and against policy...for that exact reason. It still happens a lot though.

Corporate policy is the most senior person at the table picks up the check....assuming it is a group expense.

Last edited by: Endo: Dec 17, 18 7:06
Quote Reply
Re: Work dinner- who pays? Proper way to handle this? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, but I've got no complaints. I was able to retire at age 55 and now I do whatever the hell I want and invite whomever the hell I want to dinner, lol!

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this was why credit card roulette was invented.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SImple. You wait for the check to come and then pick it up, as if you're paying for everyone. Most likely, you'll pay for everyone, but there's still a good chance someone else will offer to chip in. If someone else insists on picking up the whole tab, you offer to pick it up the next time.

While the vendors aren't customers, they may be potential referral sources.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did the dinner go?

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Work dinner- who pays? Proper way to handle this? [Justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justgeorge wrote:
How did the dinner go?

Oh, forgot to post what happened.

Turns out, the other vendor cancelled. Lol

I paid for the dinner as planned with my customer. Dinner was good. I’m a sucker for steak and red wine. One of life’s pleasures.
Quote Reply

Prev Next