Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

We Build Wall - An actual, honest to god Dept of Homeland Security webpage
Quote | Reply
[/img]

ETA - as of 12/14 they have re-written it
Last edited by: ChrisM: Dec 14, 18 14:13
Quote Reply
Re: We Build Wall - An actual, honest to god Dept of Homeland Security webpage [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: We Build Wall - An actual, honest to god Dept of Homeland Security webpage [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The grammar is atrocious.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With that grammar, pretty sure it was either written by Trump, the Russians or Chinese.

There's no way an educated English person would write that.
Quote Reply
Re: We Build Wall - An actual, honest to god Dept of Homeland Security webpage [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its astonishing. This will be an exhibit in future history books
I have seen Banana republics that have a civil service less fawning of their supreme leader
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly the site was hacked and this was written by Chinese Hackers... we build wall; we build best wall; highest wall; first ever wall. Immigrants bad, wall good.

Wow.

Edit: I see I was second to target the Chinese. Could be Russia or NK too, but definitely not Trump. It's too well written to come from him.
Last edited by: jw13: Dec 14, 18 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: We Build Wall - An actual, honest to god Dept of Homeland Security webpage [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is pure gold. Even the before and after photos are ridiculous. The after shot features mature trees that don't exist "before."

http://www.dhs.gov/...018/12/12/walls-work
I can't wait to pay my taxes at year fund to fund more of this wonderful work.
Last edited by: jw13: Dec 14, 18 9:45
Quote Reply
Re: We Build Wall - An actual, honest to god Dept of Homeland Security webpage [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
With that grammar, pretty sure it was either written by Trump, the Russians or Chinese.

After first thinking that this is a joke web site, then hitting the DHS site and finding it is actually there, I wonder if they are using "wall" instead of "a wall" deliberately. If you say "a wall," you expect a physical entity that everyone would declare "that's a wall." If you instead say "wall", it has a slightly different connotation, as in "wall something off." That doesn't necessarily mean a "physical wall." So DHS could point to a giant ditch, or a field of land mines, and declare "wall."

Just trying really hard to explain that POS page...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: We Build Wall - An actual, honest to god Dept of Homeland Security webpage [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

After first thinking that this is a joke web site, then hitting the DHS site and finding it is actually there, I wonder if they are using "wall" instead of "a wall" deliberately. If you say "a wall," you expect a physical entity that everyone would declare "that's a wall." If you instead say "wall", it has a slightly different connotation, as in "wall something off." That doesn't necessarily mean a "physical wall." So DHS could point to a giant ditch, or a field of land mines, and declare "wall."

If you replace "wall" with "a wall" or "walls" in appropriate places, most of the grammar issues (but not the propaganda issues) go away.

I first thought that it was just the result of an embarrassingly incompetent, low-level, non-native-english-speaking, DHL "webmaster". But, I think you may be on to something. Maybe the singlular "wall" is used within DHL like a construction tradesman might use the term. E.g., a plumber might say, "We laid xxx feet of pipe today", or a road crew might say that they "built xxx miles of road".

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: We Build Wall - An actual, honest to god Dept of Homeland Security webpage [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
klehner wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

If you replace "wall" with "a wall" or "walls" in appropriate places, most of the grammar issues (but not the propaganda issues) go away.

I first thought that it was just the result of an embarrassingly incompetent, low-level, non-native-english-speaking, DHL "webmaster". But, I think you may be on to something. Maybe the singlular "wall" is used within DHL like a construction tradesman might use the term. E.g., a plumber might say, "We laid xxx feet of pipe today", or a road crew might say that they "built xxx miles of road".

Yeah, now that I read it with this in mind, it may have merit. Clumsy as shit and seems way overthought, but ....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Yeah, now that I read it with this in mind, it may have merit. Clumsy as shit and seems way overthought, but ....

Inspired by this thread, I hereby coin the term, "wallage". :-)

Quote Reply
Re: We Build Wall - An actual, honest to god Dept of Homeland Security webpage [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Inspired by this thread, I hereby coin the term, "wallage". :-)

That woulda made more sense...

However, now that I re-read it, I am going back to my Chinese knock off theory :) I could get behind a contractor that is in the business of laying pipe, or even building walls, to use the product in that sense. However, this is the DHS, and is not in the business. DHS is not committed to building wall quickly, they are in the business of issuing the RFP and paying for it (r the GSA is I guess).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
...However, now that I re-read it, I am going back to my Chinese knock off theory :) I could get behind a contractor that is in the business of laying pipe, or even building walls, to use the product in that sense. However, this is the DHS, and is not in the business. DHS is not committed to building wall quickly, they are in the business of issuing the RFP and paying for it (r the GSA is I guess).

At least that's better than getting in front of a guy laying pipe, amirite...?
Quote Reply
Re: We Build Wall - An actual, honest to god Dept of Homeland Security webpage [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
...However, now that I re-read it, I am going back to my Chinese knock off theory :) I could get behind a contractor that is in the business of laying pipe, or even building walls, to use the product in that sense. However, this is the DHS, and is not in the business. DHS is not committed to building wall quickly, they are in the business of issuing the RFP and paying for it (r the GSA is I guess).

At least that's better than getting in front of a guy laying pipe, amirite...?

sweet jesus LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess DHS needed something to do while they weren't murdering 7 year old girls who have been taken into their custody.

https://abcnews.go.com/...rol-custody-59823341

The reported cause of death is exhaustion and dehydration, but I'm sure the actual truth about the specifics of what she endured, and how common it is for asylum seekers to endure those types of situations, will come out in a concise, back-of-the-newspaper article a few months from now, or whenever competent leadership moves back into positions of power in the US.

What I desperately hope to witness one day is that moment in ~20 years when the people who are still supporting any part of the GOP are trying to make a case to their kids or grandkids for why they aren't REALLY monsters. My best guess is that they'll try to pretend they didn't know...
Quote Reply
Re: We Build Wall - An actual, honest to god Dept of Homeland Security webpage [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I was just following orders"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the bottom they refer to something "we saw on Sunday" in San Diego. I'm guessing that refers to something to do with the migrant caravan, but another bizarre case of DHS needing some copyediting. And what is the "we?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And they have now re-written it, follow the link in the post above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:

Just another example of the wheels of government turning with their usual efficiency.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Just another example of the wheels of government turning with their usual efficiency.

from the new improved copyedited release:

Once funding was provided, DHS began construction of border a wall quickly,
Quote Reply
Re: We Build Wall - An actual, honest to god Dept of Homeland Security webpage [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

from the new improved copyedited release:

Once funding was provided, DHS began construction of border a wall quickly,

It’s almost like all those Nigerian princes have stopped their run out of fortunes to transfer and signed on with DHS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"building wall." "be best." i rebuke this war on articles and possessive adjectives. this is where i draw line. we should all stand ground.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: We Build Wall - An actual, honest to god Dept of Homeland Security webpage [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My theory: he's playing to his base. His supporters feel that proper grammar is pretentious and possibly even gay.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: We Build Wall - An actual, honest to god Dept of Homeland Security webpage [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jw13 wrote:
This is pure gold. Even the before and after photos are ridiculous. The after shot features mature trees that don't exist "before."

Well, we know it's the exact same area because we've got the exact same truck driving by it.
Last edited by: SH: Dec 16, 18 7:53
Quote Reply
Re: We Build Wall - An actual, honest to god Dept of Homeland Security webpage [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
My theory: he's playing to his base. His supporters feel that proper grammar is pretentious and possibly even gay.

Lol. I would have bet dollars to donuts that this is an example of internal Homeland Security resistance to Trump. It's just too stupid to be true. Even the version with corrected grammar is very unusual for a gov't publication -- and not in a good way.

In the newer, corrected version the article poses the question: What's next you might ask?

Indeed.
Last edited by: SH: Dec 16, 18 7:52
Quote Reply