Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

100 mile trail run
Quote | Reply
Does anyone one have a good training plan for 1st time 100 miler? I have 7 ironmans and just looking to change things up a bit. Also I am kind of tired of spending $800+ on ironman fees. Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: 100 mile trail run [pedal-boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the race.... but hiking and getting in some good climbing is important. As long as you’re running consistently anything over 30-40 miles per week you’ll be able to finish a trail 100. Pace yourself and eat plenty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in for my first 100 in April. Here is a plan that was on the website for race I am doing in addition to some race specific information.

http://www.umstead100.org/pdf/First_100.pdf

This plan doesn't call for the back-to-back long runs that most of the ones I have seen say are key, but given my schedule the one long run works best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started out with "Running Your First Ultra: Customizable Training Plans for Your First 50K to 100-mile Race by Krissy Moehl" as my training resource for the first couple of years. In my personal experience it suited me well to gradually increase the race distances one step at a time, i.e. 50k, 50 m, and 100k. Will hopefully race my first 100 m this year. Good luck and have fun!!!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 mile trail run [jng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine just did Louisville 100 mile run. It looks like it's not about just running. She fell several times due to slippery condition from rain. Electricity was out in the town due to storm, so no quick access to hot food. Several people suffered from hypothermia. She said about 45% DNFed. Hats off to you and good luck!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What 100? What kind of elevation gain? Technical?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here’s a good free online one. I’ve used their 50k plan.

https://www.ultraladies.com/.../your_first_100.xlsx

I recommend this book.

https://www.amazon.com/...ativeASIN=1891369903

It has 50 and 70 mile a week plans for a 100. Lots of other good info as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used that book as well, found it really helpful as a resource and well worth the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few questions: What’s the longest run you’ve done, how much climbing in your 100, and how many weeks until race day?

I’ve followed the plans in Relentless Foward Progress but also adapted them to my schedule and how I’d feel on a given week. If you look at different plans you see different training philosophies and only training let’s you know if a given plan is working for you. A common thread though is the weekly long run(s). When you start thinking of a marathon as a training distance you’re in a good place. Plan on doing a 50 mile event about 6 to 8 weeks before your 100, it’ll be a great indicator of your fitness going into the last weeks of training.

At the 100 mile distance one key is simply the idea of Time On Feet. Race day will have you running and walking for potentially 24+ hours depending on the course; simply knowing the feeling of spending 12+ hours on your feet in a given day will help you late in the race. This is also why the long run back-to-backs are useful. Getting used to how you’ll feel on the second day helps you deal with how you’ll feel at mile 80. As others have mentioned, practice hiking on long days.

And nutrition, don’t forget about this. You’ll get sick of gels and chews at some point so training with food is important. Do long runs fueling with cookies and PB&J to get used to aid station food. A good trail buffet is one of the major highlights of a 100. :)

Also, 100 miles is a very long event and requires commitment in training if you want to enjoy it and not just survive. The idea of doing long runs and back-to-backs week after week should excite you! Like I mentioned, when you look at 26.2 as a training run you’re in a good place.

Good luck and most of all have fun! Your first 100 is a real adventure!
Quote Reply
Re: 100 mile trail run [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Point to point on the Ozark trial in Missouri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran in a 100 miler the same year I did a couple 140.6's + some other "extreme" races. The only thing I really did different was log in a few more "long" runs. I ran some Marathons as training days, and when I finished I'd run back to meet my girlfriend and run her back in for example, gets you more free miles. I'd sort of switch up some of my long bike days, to be a shorter bike day, and a longer run day as well.

If you are going for straight 100miler, its all about time on the feet. Find the mountains, head there and just log miles. Nutrition is going to be different than 140.6's because you are just out there longer, so understanding that is good. The whole trail running vibe is so much different, its really enjoyable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pedal-boy wrote:
Kenney wrote:

Point to point on the Ozark trial in Missouri

So, how much elevation gain and how technical?

If you want some people to invest some time and effort in writing some helpful responses, how about you put a little effort into the info you provide?

Running history, weekly mileage, previous ultra experience?
Quote Reply
Re: 100 mile trail run [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cup wrote:
Depends on the race.... but hiking and getting in some good climbing is important. As long as you’re running consistently anything over 30-40 miles per week you’ll be able to finish a trail 100. Pace yourself and eat plenty.

Not unusual to see milers with 50% finish rates. I guess these are all the people who only run 25 miles/week.

Everything else you say is good though.
Quote Reply
Re: 100 mile trail run [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you happen to know, as far as course beauty which has the best....between IMTUF 100 and Run Rabbit Run 100? ….I know very individual question.
Quote Reply